• Max

Votes: 375 40.8%
  • Maggie

Votes: 39 4.2%

• Total voters

GeppettoPossum

Game Developer
Oct 29, 2019
I always keep a link to Urban Dictionary in my lists...

Seems like it has quite a few definitions depending (partly) on if it's used as an adjective or a verb. I'll trust y'alls word though that it means something good in this case. :HideThePain:
When I was growing up we'd say something was "beast" if it was good. Or "beast-nasty" sometimes.

th3n

Jan 27, 2022
Seems like it has quite a few definitions depending (partly) on if it's used as an adjective or a verb. I'll trust y'alls word though that it means something good in this case. :HideThePain:
When I was growing up we'd say something was "beast" if it was good. Or "beast-nasty" sometimes.
It was said in a good matter, the dev cooked mean like, he do something good. Like if i said dev got cooked, it mean that someone like humillate you, but the dev cooked mean you like do a very good job.
Give you a meme for example:
1716248773626.png

HeathenFilth

Jan 10, 2022
Current meta is that it's something good when you say something like "Let him cook" (let him do his thing/this is getting interesting), or "He was cooking/He cooked" (He was doing something great/He created something great).
But, yes. There are a lot of 'cooked' that are negative. But this wasn't a negative.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: GeppettoPossum

Remembrance

Feb 1, 2020

Thanks for the detailed write up. I actually changed the way the background is changed for thoughts. Here's a screenshot of the current code (old code is commented out below). Currently I've only deployed it in the Android release, but it will be in all of them when v0.2 comes out.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
That works.
Here's why the error happened:
This is your thoughtsmobile style code
Code:
style thoughtsmobile is window:
    variant "small"
    xalign 0.5
    xfill True
    yalign gui.textbox_yalign
    ysize gui.textbox_height
    background Image("gui/phone/thoughtsmobile.png", xalign=0.5, yalign=1.0)
See the variant"small" line? That makes this style only exist for small variant phones.
But you called it using
Code:
if renpy.variant("touch"):
All small devices may be touch, but not all touch devices are small.
So what happens when you play the game on a touch device that isn't using the small variant?
The condition "if renpy.variant("touch"):" goes through on all touch devices, but the style thoughtsmobile doesn't exist outside of small variants, leading to the error "Style 'thoughtsmobile' doesn't exist"

You solved it by not calling thoughtsmobile at all & adjusting the background directly.
But to solve the actual problem you just needed the condition for calling the style & the variant of the style to be consistent, either small or touch.
I chose small cause thoughtsmobile isn't necessary outside of small variant devices.

Although if what you're saying is accurate, I may still need to adjust what is now line 141 to "small" instead of "touch."
That's a good idea.
Like I said, the problem could also be solved by changing the line in style thoughtsmobile to variant "touch", but I chose to change the trigger to small variants only.
This is because thoughtsmobile is not necessary for non-small variants. Only in small variants the bigger texts go outside the cloud background's border.
Using Joiplay allowed me to toggle small variants on & off, I had no issues with the text overflowing when using style thoughts while small variants was turned off.

So any change in your current code isn't necessary.
But the thoughts style looks better than thoughtsmobile imo & there's no reason to use it across all touch devices when only small variants need it due to their enlarged text.

Oh, also, turning off side images don't work, you forget to remove # from " #if not renpy.variant("small") and persistent.sideimagestate:"

Good Luck dev (y):giggle:

Last edited:
  • Thinking Face
Reactions: GeppettoPossum

GeppettoPossum

Game Developer
Oct 29, 2019

Thanks for another detailed write-up and for your review. Can't believe I (and no one else apparently) didn't catch that bug with the side images. I guess most people want to use them and thus didn't try it out.
I'll go ahead and make some of the changes you suggested for the next release.

Reactions: Remembrance
4.50 star(s) 11 Votes