• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

Belle

Developer of Long Live the Princess
Game Developer
Sep 25, 2017
I also read the setting and several characters differently than you seem to:
Look, I'm going to be short and, unfortunately, somewhat curt in my reply here since I'm currently suffering from burnout that, frankly, isn't particularly compatible with this kind of discussion. It takes effort for me to engage in this kind of thing at the time of writing, hence the late reply.

You imply that I'm "reading" the setting and characters. No, I'm not. I created, wrote, and had them live rent-free in my head for years. I'm not interpreting them. My view of how they act and think is the absolute truth by default. You can accuse them of being poorly written since that is a matter of personal opinion. But to claim, or even imply, that my realization of them is wrong is absurd.

You would have written these characters and part of this story differently. Okay. That's fine by me. It doesn't change how I wrote them and how I decided to leave their stories behind as I moved on to other projects. I'm happy with the current state of Long live the Princess.

So, you are unfortunately correct in that this isn't a discussion that I want to get into. I see no value in it. You are more than welcome to interpret and critique this game and its contents to your heart's content. Heck, if you want to call them the worst-written and most poorly realized characters in adult video gaming, then be my guest. But to say that I don't fully understand my own characters? I suspect you didn't quite think that argument through.

Milton749

Jul 26, 2023
Look, I'm going to be short and, unfortunately, somewhat curt in my reply here since I'm currently suffering from burnout that, frankly, isn't particularly compatible with this kind of discussion. It takes effort for me to engage in this kind of thing at the time of writing, hence the late reply.

You imply that I'm "reading" the setting and characters. No, I'm not. I created, wrote, and had them live rent-free in my head for years. I'm not interpreting them. My view of how they act and think is the absolute truth by default. You can accuse them of being poorly written since that is a matter of personal opinion. But to claim, or even imply, that my realization of them is wrong is absurd.

You would have written these characters and part of this story differently. Okay. That's fine by me. It doesn't change how I wrote them and how I decided to leave their stories behind as I moved on to other projects. I'm happy with the current state of Long live the Princess.

So, you are unfortunately correct in that this isn't a discussion that I want to get into. I see no value in it. You are more than welcome to interpret and critique this game and its contents to your heart's content. Heck, if you want to call them the worst-written and most poorly realized characters in adult video gaming, then be my guest. But to say that I don't fully understand my own characters? I suspect you didn't quite think that argument through.
Belle, your characters are a long way from the worst written and poorly realized. In fact, they are some of the better ones. I may not have liked a couple of them as romantic options, but enjoyed interacting as friends. I am not a fan of forced romance, which I had to do if I wanted to finish the game and I can honestly say they're wasn't a character that pissed me off.

I, for one, appreciated your game, and the work that went into it, to get the characters out of your mind into a game. I played all the endings, with Lilith/Selena/Belle my absolute fav. Thanks again.

professorx10

Game Developer
Jul 22, 2018
And Belle I'd like to second Milton749 's statement about the quality of LltP. It is, IMHO, the most professionally produced 'Adult game' on F95, or anywhere, that I have had the enjoyment of playing. No game or story will EVER satisfy the general population of players completely. I could go on but, I just want to point out that you are correct in your assessment of the value of this subject of discussion.

In this group of F95 players it is obvious that we have a segment of people emotionally requiring 'poly-amorous' or 'harem' outcomes to their games and therefore, this SUBJECT is repetitive, unending, and impossible to satisfy or conclude. Please ignore any posts regarding this subject as it only 'fans the flames' of those permanently attached to their personal, unfulfilled needs.

Your characters were fully 'fleshed out' believable people who's outcomes were completely consistent within the plot's parameters. Congratulations. Close case.

my observation is that this unsatisfyable longing may be a derivative of we human male's inherent sexual characteristics and our continuing 'war within' that we are forever faced with. We have to face that we will always have a 'hunger' that is a characteristic of our being the far more populous, weaker sex that is, basically, expendable. We 'think' we'll be happy living in a harem of women, all hungry for our attention, (the harem group's ideal of heaven) but it would actually be disastrous for us, as men.

We men must face the painful fact of our essential nature, face the brutal facts of survival and rise to face and challenge life's unknowns that arise and become the hero our own part of the eternal story of life vs death...that is why 'the Hero story' is so basic, it is in essence our story, men's story.

Forgive my rambling, In short, I'm saying, harem lovers are fixated on the wrong 'solution' and badly need to change their focus or they'll never find fulfillment. Let's leave them to their fixation and press on.

Thank you for an enjoyable game. I look forward to your further endeavors.

Reactions: Belle

muschi26

Engaged Member
Jun 22, 2019
I’m sorry to hear about that, and I hope you get better soon.

I quite literally said in my post that I didn’t think you were wrong for writing any of the characters in the way you did, and so I don’t know why you’re accusing me of this here.

That being said, I believe you too are, in a way, “reading” the characters. Perhaps no one knows them better than you do, but there are people I’ve known for decades for whom, if asked how they would act in a given situation, I couldn’t answer you with 100% certainty; it’s always possible for someone you thought you knew inside and out to surprise you. You can put yourself in another’s shoes—and you can do it very well—but you can never truly be someone else. Therefore, any time you ask the question, “What would person X do in this spot?” the only answer you can get is what you think person X would do, not the “absolute truth” of what person X really would do. As an example of this, actors routinely disagree with writers or directors about how their characters should act. Who holds the “absolute truth” in this scenario? As another example, it’s entirely possible that, in say ten years’ time, you yourself will change your mind (as creatives often do) about how some characters should have acted in Long Live the Princess; in another ten years, you may change your mind again. Which version of the author holds the “absolute truth”?

What the author writes is canon, that much is true, but I think it’s false to say that canon is automatically the correct interpretation of a character or setting. To pick on an easy target, David Benioff and D. B. Weiss were the writers of the Game of Thrones TV series, and yet there are still moments where characters go “out of character” and do things they really shouldn’t, based on their previous characterization. I’m not saying this applies to you, but authors are not immune from getting things wrong about their own stories.

Look, all I wanted was some insight into your creative vision. Like I said, I’m not campaigning for you to include a harem ending, and I didn’t make a list of “arguments” for why you should or not. I wasn’t even criticizing your writing.

All I brought up was a list of things I picked up on which informed my own interpretation of the game, which I was wondering if you would care to discuss; my reasoning being that, if I came out of the game thinking a harem could be possible, while you were adamant it couldn’t (which is why you didn’t include one, despite having polyamory endings), then surely there were grounds for discussion. If you think the characters couldn’t have acted any other way, why is that? If I was wrong about the setting, how come? Is it something you world-built, but which didn’t end up in the final game? Again, this isn’t to say you did anything “wrong”; if anything, you did things so right that I’m interested in learning more about this world and these characters, and discussing different interpretations thereof.

4.60 star(s) 375 Votes