[S> Other] [S>Artist 2D] Paid 2d animator looking for work

Pikadolo

Nov 19, 2019
Skills:
- I have been doing bone animation for ~3 years, worked with AE+DUIK, now I use spine pro (+AE sometimes)
I don't draw, only animate.

Preferred method of contact:

- Discord:
shroedinbug

Employment Type & Rates:
-
Preferably part-time/commission, but I don't rule out something like working on a project.
The average price tag is around $60 per animation (depending on the material and amount of work provided)
I only accept payment through crypto.

Availability:
-
Available about 5 slots per month for average amount of work

Work Samples:
-

Additional comments:
-
SFW/NSFW - work with anything

More samples:
Krieg_unopkunswerk_shroedinbug.gif
View attachment artist-AoshiSeven_shroedinbug.mp4
View attachment Gaturo_bg_shroedinbug.mp4

View attachment duy-van-epic-samurai_shroedinbug_fixed.mp4
View attachment Mikhail Kryvtsov-Воины-(Fantasy)-Fantasy-art_shroedinbug.mp4

Last edited:

jkjyuio

Jan 23, 2022
I'm looking for a Spine animator. Do you need rigged characters or can you do that as well? I have drawn artwork, but the artists do not animate. I have to chop up the characters parts ready for animation. Usually, this means filling in some missing artwork at the edges etc.
Thanks.

Pikadolo

Nov 19, 2019
I'm looking for a Spine animator. Do you need rigged characters or can you do that as well? I have drawn artwork, but the artists do not animate. I have to chop up the characters parts ready for animation. Usually, this means filling in some missing artwork at the edges etc.
Thanks.

I can cut the finished image into layers (within reason, I'm not an artist), do the rig and the animation itself.

In any case, it's better to do everything yourself from scratch than to deal with someone else's rig and remake it for yourself

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
While I don't have the art assets right now, nor am I at that point with my own projects, I am curious how long it takes for a basic idle animation (breathing, bouncing, maybe subtle shifting weight from one leg to another). I can have art cut up into layers (separate background, I can even slice up the body (clothes layers, individual layers for limbs) if it helps. Good to see you do pace yourself, I see about 5 commissions a month, about a week for each piece it seems, but I assume you do art/animation on the side for fun.

golrim

Aug 17, 2020
I am curious how long it takes for a basic idle animation
The biggest time consumer is creating the cut outs and making them seamless, otherwise a simple idle animation is a quick process that can take up to a few minutes or an hour based on the quality of the timing and pacing. Pika has an extra step of using and making a deform mesh where you get the effect of flowing parts.

Pikadolo

Nov 19, 2019
While I don't have the art assets right now, nor am I at that point with my own projects, I am curious how long it takes for a basic idle animation (breathing, bouncing, maybe subtle shifting weight from one leg to another). I can have art cut up into layers (separate background, I can even slice up the body (clothes layers, individual layers for limbs) if it helps. Good to see you do pace yourself, I see about 5 commissions a month, about a week for each piece it seems, but I assume you do art/animation on the side for fun.

Need slicing into layers / ready-made layers (still need preparation, the artist sees the slicing on its own, in isolation from how the mesh will be created, what will be the movement, etc.)
Creating mesh for each layer, taking into account the movement / complexity of the animation
Creating a skeleton, binding bones, adjusting weights
***the direct creation of animation starts here***
Some (bone necromancy) magic with graphs/IK/bones/etc
Depending on the output and additional requirements - additional particles/additional post-processing in AfterEffects
***customer corrections***
And somewhere around here the animation is ready ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
Thanks for the reply. Now that I think about it, I should have asked if your spline tool thingy is able to export to other formats besides video or images (ie is there a way to export the file or mesh? I know some spline tools like Live2D shows off as working with unity).

I'm at least familiar with the process of animating 2D art a bit, I have tested and used blender to do the same thing, cut up the image into parts, photoshop the missing bits, make custom meshes for each 'layer' (being 3D i was able to have a mesh go over one layer, and under another to allow for some complex overlapping effects, but the process is slower than dedicated tools like Live2D). The reason I ask is because, when the time comes, it would be cool to animate my art, not just do those slow visual novel fade in effect.

The issue is, I have a lot planned out. I was asking because if, as golrim put it, editing the images takes the most amount of time, if I, in the future, could make an interesting request.

Since I'm making my own art, it's easier for me to edit and make the layers since I have the raw art files. I have a lot planned out, hopefully my first 'published' project after +10 years of game deving (I'm a perfectionist and never finished anything that didn't feel like a masterpiece), but I've worked with various teams and partners. One of the major things I seen get in the way of projects finishing to completion is the lost of motivation (due to all the effort). This is the first project I'm serious enough that I've been putting down money ( ask JackpotWriting I talked with them a lot), so what I was hoping for is that, if you have fun doing the animation part, that if I did most of the hard work with prepping the art so that you just had to focus on the mesh, skeleton, weights, and animating, if it would be possible to request a batch of animation.

Available about 5 slots per month for average amount of work
Again you can ask Jackpot (not sure how active they are on this site since I mostly talk with them on discord), I'm more interested in 'eventual' results than worrying about time. I make it clear that this is a slow going side project, and that I know how easy it is to get burned out from one project and wanting to explore other cool ideas (aka what I call the 'commitment scare'). Jackpot works with their own group of friends on their own project, and occasionally gets back to me when they had a breakthrough or an idea. With Jackpot, we talked through and made a system for payment with flexibility, and I try to be fair and considerate of time spent (aka payment). The reason I call it a 'batch' of animations is because I'll try to host everything on a shared drive, document each piece and objective, and it is basically something you could tick through when you have the time, between this and bouncing between other projects that interest you. this way it acts as a way to get consistent income during low periods.

When the time does come, and you are still interested, I could talk more. Again, Jackpot will attest that I write essays, I explain and document everything (and I do pay an onboarding fee since I know I'll write a lot just to introduce the ideas to you) The reason this project is 'big' as I refer to it, is besides being a cumulation of years of work and personal research, the core of the project is an AI system. The reason I have so much art is because I'm making a sort of standardize art system, to allow the AI to basically allow for dynamic unscripted situation, so there is a lot of assets and situations that could be animated.

For now, I just wanted to probe on the feasibility of making a sort of 'batch' request if I did the leg work of cutting art into layers (and filling in areas that are typically covered up).

Pikadolo

Nov 19, 2019
For now, I just wanted to probe on the feasibility of making a sort of 'batch' request if I did the leg work of cutting art into layers (and filling in areas that are typically covered up).

Yes, we can do that.
There is still the question of payment, time and deadlines, technical requirements for animation, which we can discuss in dm

Oct 15, 2021
I can confirm that Saki_Sliz is very flexible with accomodating to your needs and is thorough in explanations if you have questions about anything. Not sure you'd need to talk to me about anything directly concerning Saki's project, but I am writing up descriptions of character appearances; should you need info on that, I'm usually available.

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
Thanks, I think we're good for now. I didn't want to get too far into explaining things since you know my bad habit for long messages and I feel bad when sending those when I'm not compensating them for their time yet. I'll talk with Pikadolo more when I have a starting collection of art that's usable for immediate toying around with to see if they are still interested.