Tutorial HTML How To Debug(Or Cheat) Twine{SugarCube} Variables

konabwo

Engaged Member
Sep 19, 2020
i meant stopped working for all the games :cool: :confused:
no idea what could have happened. makes no sense! ...the only thing it coincided with was windows update... net frameworks i think...

Last edited:

BIG MAC 666

Apr 24, 2019
Screenshot 2020-11-03 180617.png
i do sugarcube... then cash but nothing pops up also switched to firefox developer edition.
Ps is there a guide on how to use twinehacker i read the read me but wasn't that helpful

konabwo

Engaged Member
Sep 19, 2020
not sure what is that all about...but how do launch such user's extentions with a firefox? i failed dont remember why...maybe i couldnot find that uploading/importing etc mechanism. in chrome-based browsers i see it after turning on dev regime...

Lure of Chaos

Apr 21, 2020
i meant stopped working for all the games :cool: :confused:
no idea what could have happened. makes no sense! ...the only thing it coincided with was windows update... net frameworks i think...
works for me (in Chrome), just checked with Female Agent

konabwo

Engaged Member
Sep 19, 2020
works for me (in Chrome), just checked with Female Agent
i (successfully) used chrome-based Comodo Dragon with twinhacker .
until it stopped working (i turned on-off, unpacked again...same)

however, it still works with (usual) Chrome (which i dont use but checked for the sake of interest)

Last edited:

Liara

Jun 28, 2017
If you can't find SugarCube on the console AND play via itch.io:
itch.io wraps a frame around sugarcube.​
Do right-click: Current Frame -> Show only this frame.​
Then you can access SugarCube via console as usual.​

An1bel

Jul 23, 2018
So today it stopped working for me on any Browser [Chrome/Firefox]. Also tested different games, same result. Does someone knows what exactly happened? Seems like many experienced issues after november.

konabwo

Engaged Member
Sep 19, 2020
i have that issue with twinhacker in chrome-based , so i switched to another one (sugarcube hacker)

firefox? how do u export it to FF in the first place?

Lure of Chaos

Apr 21, 2020
Could you provide more detailed description?

As for me, mine still works in my Chrome as usual

Regarding Firefox: to use it as normal extension, developer (me) has to sign it and publish it in official store (cannot do that for now). To install from plain ZIP, you need to use Firefox Developer Edition and go thro mini-quest adding it. I did run it and continue to use Chrome as default browser, so no idea for now, sorry.

Reactions: An1bel

proton

Jul 20, 2017
Guys, how I can unlock video in gallery? I know path, for example State.variables.sis.gallery[2] but I dunno what value need to change.

greyelf

Nov 16, 2016
how I can unlock video in gallery?
SugarCube itself doesn't have a built-in 'gallery' feature.

You will need to tell us which story/game you mean, so the person who answers your question can examine that project's source code to see how its Author/Developer implemented its 'gallery' feature.

An1bel

Jul 23, 2018
Could you provide more detailed description?

As for me, mine still works in my Chrome as usual

Regarding Firefox: to use it as normal extension, developer (me) has to sign it and publish it in official store (cannot do that for now). To install from plain ZIP, you need to use Firefox Developer Edition and go thro mini-quest adding it. I did run it and continue to use Chrome as default browser, so no idea for now, sorry.

First of all, sorry for replying so late. A bunch of things happened, so my priority was focused to sorting that mess out further.

I allowed myself for some couple of hours trying to get things working, and tried backtracking to the latest version of chrome, where the sugarcube/twine hacker would work again. To make things quicker, I decided to look up the Dev Updates and documentations of different versions from both Twine and the Chrome Browser... and man, in this instance, guessing blindly would have been smarter and faster.
Skip this, because there is now rage ahead: Twines documentations are all over the place like the bodys of russian political opposition figures, after many of them fell numerous times out of windows from the highest floor. First they used a very detailled and practical github system on their wiki, which was continued only until dec 31st of 2020 (happy new year?), but where the last documentation of their updates was on the Twine 2.3.5 edition of Oct 8th 2019. Then it turns out, they continued the wiki on another website because it would be better because "more successful" and it's called... Cookbook. Fine, whatever, not my cup of tea but whoever named the website certainly has to be forbidden of naming his children. You may be a fine human being, but please, accept your flaws and let your partner name them. So, one quick look at the documentation of the new website, got a headache and started to think I was going mad or did something wrong. But nope. I was fine, not smarter or dumber than before, but the new site was atrocious for documentational purposes only. The other stuff on Twines Cookbook is fine from the quick peak I got. But come on. The latest documentation was from the Twine 2.3.8 version (rel.date:10.05.2020) - but no detailled github reference NOR a date given. We are at Twine v.2.3.11. Fine, fuck me I guess, had to now search for a date to pinpoint if the fault lays with Chrome or Twine and maybe get a fix for it or at least an idea. Turns out, all this research was useless, since Twine is definetly not at fault here, because between Twine v.2.3.9(rel.date:13.07.2020) and v.2.3.10(rel.date:03.01.2021) the only thing that changed were chrome and chrome based browsers. Since the first of us got the problem around november of the cursed year, things got changed around on the browser side of things. I was really happy! The happiest guy with the happiest thoughts, trust me!
So, after my dumbass finally realized that, I shut my pc down, laid down, cried and tried to not to kill myself again. Then I got up forgott about it aaaaand remembered that I now had to either find something to fix this issue with the help of documentations, or to blindly guess and try different old versions of chrome. I did the latter, beacause while I enjoy the community here, I really don't wan't to be the person in the news who ridiculously killed himself over documentations, trying to find a way to fix a non functioning hacker for... smut games. But. I am kinda retarded, and still looked into the documentations, because I wanted to know the reason, what caused this mess. Turned Google was very busy in november of the cursed year and released Chrome version 86.x to 88.0.4324.11. So, congrats to them, at least they weren't lazy. Take away: many "bug fixes" and even more security paches. And one of those latter broke the sugarcube/Twine hacker. If you have read until this point , thank you, you beautiful human being and thanks for listening to my small rant.

Tl;dr.: So the takeaway since I hardly am able to make sense of the security patches and don't know what exactly was done, use a chrome browser of the version 86.0.4240.198 (rel.date:Wednesday, November 11, 2020) OR LOWER!
Be advised, that you will have to go lower, since on my pc the 86.0.4240.198 worked well with the sugarcube/Twine hacker while on my notebook I had to use the one version before that.

I hope I could help some of you, have a nice one.

Oh and for the firefox approach, what Lure of Chaos said.

greyelf

Nov 16, 2016
...to sorting that mess out further.

...Twines documentations are all over the place...
A couple of clarifications, in case you're unaware:
1. The documentation for the SugarCube 2.x story format can be , on that story format's own web-site.
2. The main purpose of the is to teach people how to "code by example" for each of the main Story Formats. It's not a reference manual covering how the different Story Format's work internally.

An1bel

Jul 23, 2018
greyelf, thanks. That's where I found it. I just stated that personally, I liked the way they documented their version history and where to find it before they made their changes. But that's personal preference, I guess.
And regarding (2.), like I stated, what I have saw was very good, and I understand the purpose of the Twine Cookbook. My only criticism was regarding the somewhat hard navigation, IF you are looking for version documentations, and the lack of updated entries regarding this topic on their site. It just makes you wonder, why they treat their own documentations that way, because everything else seems to be done with an idea behind it.