Newbie wanting to make a game.

PerkyNana

Apr 25, 2017
[UPDATE] I have started writing the game, I've decided to use Ren'Py because it seems to be the easiest choice for someone new like me but will still give me ways of making the player feel in control with choices. I still don't know what I'm going to do about the art yet. I've tried using Daz but it's all very confusing to me and no online tutorials have helped, no one really makes "How to make a naked milf in Daz." videos on youtube lol. I could try and draw it in photoshop but i'm not good at art and i'd much rather prefer the more realistic 3d look. If anyone knows how to do that side of things and wouldn't mind sharing their knowledge with me that would be wicked.

Please be nice, I literally just discovered this site and these games a few days ago but nothing really appeals to my tastes fully. Big Brother and The Twist are probably the two games i enjoy most but i think that if you can't find the game that meets your desires then i guess you should just make one that does. I understand that it won't be anywhere near as easy as it looks and that both games i've mentioned are developed by people with far more knowledge of this sort of thing than me but if you could let me in on some tips and tricks on how to get started, or point me in the direction of any other forums or sources on how to make these sorts of games that would be wonderful.

My Game Ideas:
Title:
Haven't come up with one yet.
Engine: Unity
Genre: Incest, Voyeur, 3d, M/S, F/D B/S B/B(?) F/S(?) M/D (Whole Family none of this "Dad died when i was young" crap)
Game Description: You'll play as 19 maybe 20ish year old guy who lives with his family (Mid 40's mother, slightly older father, early to mid 20's sister and twin (not identical) brother). You all move to a new city in a purpose built house designed by your father. Your interest in incest starts when you have a wet dream about your mother one night that you can't get out of your head. You eventually discover the taboo world on the internet where you learn about all sorts of ways of spying and making money off them. There will probably be a deeper story in it as well I just haven't though of it yet. (I'm trying to go original as much as i can instead of copying other ideas) You'll be able to completely choose what you want to do, who you want to spy on, how you want to spend your day, where you want to go.
This won't be one of those rpg's where everything is already set out for you and you just have to go to each quest, this will be completely in your control.

Characters won't have massively enlarged organs, i'd like to have them appropriately sized to their age and there won't be any monsters or mind control or anything like that, i'm going for realism here guys.

What do you guys think? Should I hold off on making a big game and start on something basic? Is unity my best choice for making a game?
The look i want for it is similar to Big Brother in the way of choosing where to go and what to say.
(I don't like those RPGM games with the top down view of everything or visual novels/QSP so i'd like to avoid those if possible.

I look forward to reading your replies, thank you in advance!

blahs

Apr 7, 2017
You could also go the Summertime Saga way. I like that dude. Big Brother seems a bit restrictive to me Personal Choice. I too hate RPGM, you could go for RenPy. Unity is for me best suited for 3D Games. I like my girls more 2D. If you are favoring for 2D (hand drawn art) RenPy is for you. (Personal Fav - Town Uncovered and Summertime Saga) But since its your first game experiment all you want.

Dictateur

Aug 7, 2016
Think that if you're not doing it with RPGMaker (even if it's annoying sometimes) it'll be more work for you. Do you already have an idea how you're going to do the art ? Hand drawn ? Using Daz or something like that ?
But if you have a mind a great and well made game, I can only support you fully, even if it takes time.

sceryx

Mar 14, 2017
This won't be one of those rpg's where everything is already set out for you and you just have to go to each quest, this will be completely in your control.
I wanted to kind of highlight that aspect but it looks like you have a large, dynamic, world that you want to implement. I'm new to these forums as well so I cant necessarily point you in the right direction but I will say, keep your ideas that you have but start on something smaller. From experience, if you start working on something big from the get go you'll end up having to rewrite your code a lot once you find out better ways to structure and write your game; I've seen people burn out from their ideas that way. Instead, start on something small that has elements you want in your big game like a dynamic dialogue system or combat system and once you have it figured out then work on your big game.

Pro-tip: when writing the story, if it's dynamic use a storyboard software or something so that you can view your story line as a big tree. It will definitely help in the long run.
Best of luck!

PerkyNana

Apr 25, 2017
Think that if you're not doing it with RPGMaker (even if it's annoying sometimes) it'll be more work for you. Do you already have an idea how you're going to do the art ? Hand drawn ? Using Daz or something like that ?
But if you have a mind a great and well made game, I can only support you fully, even if it takes time.
I'm not an artist at all so drawing my own art is out of the question, i wanted to use something like daz but im discovering that it's much more complex than i thought, also my computer is have a tough time at handling it lol. There is a lot to learn so I will have to find the easiest option for me first. I might have to use something like rpgmaker even though i don't like that style of game, just to get me started

Reactions: Dictateur

Ulaered

Aug 15, 2016
For art, might I suggest Honey Select?
It might help you get started. There are a lot of different preset models and a large selection of library available online. You can also do custom poses (not sure if you need mod for this). There are a lot of different mods available for this as well for you to work with.
And as for the variety of backgrounds, I believe you can create your own room design with the different furniture in.

I see that you decided to use Ren'Py as your engine of choice, might I suggest also looking at Twine if you want to focus on text/story. Ren'Py games do require more art assets than Twine.

Reactions: PerkyNana

PerkyNana

Apr 25, 2017
For art, might I suggest Honey Select?
It might help you get started. There are a lot of different preset models and a large selection of library available online. You can also do custom poses (not sure if you need mod for this). There are a lot of different mods available for this as well for you to work with.
And as for the variety of backgrounds, I believe you can create your own room design with the different furniture in.

I see that you decided to use Ren'Py as your engine of choice, might I suggest also looking at Twine if you want to focus on text/story. Ren'Py games do require more art assets than Twine.
Thanks for your reply! Having a quick look at honey select and it could be a good choice so I'll give it a go. I'll check out Twine too and see what it's like. I've only made a small start on things so it's not a big deal changing engines.

I've tried installing Honey Select but it's not working for me so I'll have to try something else.

Last edited:

EzioTatsuya

Game Developer
Sep 10, 2016
As a fellow developer, I recommend that when you create a character, you need to focus on one creation at a time. After you know their personalities and backstories, then you can begin your game. Believe that!

Reactions: SadBully and Spirox

Gold613

Sep 21, 2016
Not a Dev or any experience when it comes to making games or working codes and all that stuff but when it comes to planning stuff out or helping out with idea layout and what not I defo can be of help on that.

Right now from what you have said you want to do you have a big game planned with a lot of features and choices which also increases replay ability because you can want to see what choices lead to what and different endings and such so that is good and awesome not going to lie there are not much games like that out there and having more of em also realism thing meaning there is going to be a slow build when it comes to the incest road which is perfect we need more of these.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Hope I managed to help you out a bit here, Hoping to see some concept arts soon and of course followed by your game.
Don't let up and good luck on your project.