[Ren'Py] SU Re-Imagined, an UNOFFICIAL Proof of Concept Ren'Py Demo - Community Development Thread

5.00 star(s) 1 Vote
Apr 15, 2020
I'll get back to this someday, but I just want to note that people can release content for SU ReImagined (mainly girl pack related) at any time, you don't need me.

Since each girl has her own folder for her artwork and her .rpy file, these can be released independently. Sure, it helps to use the variables I set up for the rest of the game engine to see, but those are already in the .rpy files.

As an example, say that you wanted to have Lex and Kara go out on a date. Entering Kara's cell would be the 'entry trigger' but from there, you'd just put in a trigger 'if Kara_corruption > 12 and if KaraLex_date == False, jump lexkaradate' or some such, mainly you'd figure out at which point in Kara's cell prgression that you want the date to occur, to get Kara out of the cell, and then they can have their date wherever you want. Heck, you could even introduce new background art to 'set the mood'.

I've mentioned before that there's a bunch of cool vector art on freepik.com that can be 'repurposed' for use in ReImagined (with suitable citations of course).

vectorpouch did the background above (look him up on freepik.com), I overlaid the Giganta/WW art which I cropped from a screenshot. My point here is that you don't HAVE to be content with just recoding cell scenes, you can insert your own stories.

All that is required is to put a 'trigger' somewhere that invokes the scene, after which the scene itself can be whatever you want. Maybe Lex Luthor and Diana go to Themyscira so that Lex can Meet Diana's family, 'cuz Diana is now 'dating' lex (after being suitably corrupted). This wouldn't be canon, but this is the entire point of the 'moddability' angle.

I'm not a gatekeeper, I've been hoping that others would start working on girlpacks and coming up with their own content for a while now. I'm more than happy to give a few pointers on how to work within the framework, but I'm not stopping anyone from anything.

The SU ReImagined framework isn't complete yet, but it's far enough along that others can easily add new content without me.

---

On another note, while there are a couple more milestones for SU ReImagined that I'd like to accomplish in 2024, the fact is that I'm just not that interested iin SU anymore, as I have other projects I'd rather be doing right now. SU ReImagined was always supposed to be a team effort, but the fact that no one has made a serious effort to release anything for SU ReImagined in the meantime tells me that there isn't really a team right now. A bunch of people have said that they are interested, but it never gets past the 'might be interested' conversation.

I get that it's a bit intimidating to work with Ren'Py at first, but you don't learn if you don't try. And for some of the characters, a lot of the 'heavy lifting' has been done already (layeredimage, baseline variables, etc.) so it's actually not that hard.

Artwork is the major holdback. Which is why I'm wanting to do something else using Daz Studio. And why I've been clamoring for someone to step up as an 'art curator' that is willing to take the time to pick suitable artwork from the fanart thread, and after getting permission of course, using some of that artwork in SU ReImagined.

I'm just not that interested in working with SR7's sprites anymore, it's 100 times easier to just render characters in a bunch of costumes in Daz Studio, for me anyways, once the character models are decided upon. I have Daz Studio version of a few characters now that you've seen me share every so often. A lot of people are drawn to SU 'cuz of the Bruce Timm homage style that SR7 uses, I'm over it at this point.

And I'd rather just do an 'inspired by' game of my own at this point.

I still think it'd be awesome if xMendoza would 'embrace' what I've done so far in Re-Imagined, and build on that, but he has his own vision of what a remake of SU should look like, so that ship has sailed I guess...

I will be spending a bunch of time this month doing backups of my SSDs and getting my dedicated rendering rig running, and I might dabble a bit with ReImagined, but at this time I'm mainly just waiting for others to 'run with what we have now' for ReImagined. It's time for others to step up and move the project forward.

Just be aware that I accomplished most of my goals coding wise for SU ReImagined already, it's time for others to run with what I've started. I'll still help out, but this isn't a priority for me.

It would have been nice to see Gunmoke & SR7 reach out and work with one of us to help port SU over to Ren'Py, but they have their own guy and have never contacted me here. I have no desire to be a Discord lackey, or Patreon supporter, I give back in other ways, and they just don't care all that much about the F95Zone community. Other developers are more supportive of my efforts when I decide to play in other people's sandboxes, and that is not lost on me.

SU ReImagined isn't dead, and I'll still piddle around with it, but until others here are willing to build on what has been started, yeah not a priority for me. There's a bunch of other stuff that interests me more atm.

I know that this isn't what a lot of you want to hear, but until it's a team effort again...

Also, if I ever want to monetize my creative efforts, well this isn't the project that I can do that with. Too many copyright headaches, and I'd rather do something a bit more unique/less in someone else's IP at this point. Steamboat Willie is now public domain, as long as you don't call him Mickey... J/K!
:p

Just wanted to state my current take on the situation,
OhWee
:cool:
what about using AI art to generate images?
I know a lot of people don't "Like" it but if you look for example at the Summertime Saga fanart thread here, there's been an EXPLOSION of AI generated art with existing characters as well as original or new characters that match the original quality and DEFINITELY surpass the volume that the artist is able to keep up with.

Here is one of the more recent posts but hit the SPOILER tags for additional images, there are so many good ones
https://f95zone.to/threads/summertime-saga-fan-art.4744/post-13622077

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
what about using AI art to generate images?
I know a lot of people don't "Like" it but if you look for example at the Summertime Saga fanart thread here, there's been an EXPLOSION of AI generated art with existing characters as well as original or new characters that match the original quality and DEFINITELY surpass the volume that the artist is able to keep up with.

Here is one of the more recent posts but hit the SPOILER tags for additional images, there are so many good ones
https://f95zone.to/threads/summertime-saga-fan-art.4744/post-13622077
I've been encouraging and to a tiny extent utilizing AI generated character art for a whle now. Jimwalrus has put together a few characters that already have or are planned to appear ingame in SU Reimagined.

Most end up getting tweaked in Photoshop though.

The main thing is to keep the style consistent. A lot of the recent AI art in the SU Fanart/Remix thread looks 'enhanced', which doesn't really look right along the existing sprites. The sprites need to look like they 'belong'.

It's possible, Jimwalrus has demonstrated this IS possible, just requires a bit of patience and a lot of redos...

The other main problem is keeping wardrobe consistent between poses.

These aren't issues with Daz Studio, but even using Daz Studio renders as 'AI templates' can be hit and miss.

In any case, yeah won't be coming back to this for a bit, but of course others can still work on Reimagined stuff if they are so inclined. Lots of transcription that still needs to be done!

5.00 star(s) 1 Vote