RPGM Things to keep in mind and resources I need to Start developing a new game.

Mukesh12349

Oct 22, 2018
Hello Devs,

I have been planning to build a game for quite some time and I would really like some advice as I'm an absolute beginner. Dos and don'ts for the development process etc.

I will try and categorise my doubts and queries as simply as possible below.

• How do you plan before starting the actual work using an engine? If you do plan, how long do you spend in the pre-production process? I mean do you start the work after deciding the flow of an arc or do you plan the entire story and then get to work?

• I'm planning to use RPG Maker MV. Will this be an ideal tool, given that lower versions of the engine are richer in assets? I also learnt, after a bit of messing around with the engine, that MV gives you real time preview. Is this option available for lower versions? If no, is there a way to get around it with or without using plugins?

• How complex is it to have a battle animation like the OneOne1 games? Is there any external plugin for achieving that or can be done by using the in built functions?
I realise that the list is too small, but these are my current concerns and would really appreciate any help from you guys.

Thank you.

Last edited:

Madmanator99

May 1, 2018
Hey there,

I've never used RPGM, but I can give you my opinion about the first point, and I have done so in many other threads. I personnally think that the preproduction is one of the most important steps, as it will give you a reference to go back to for when you are deep into coding and things get fogotten/mixed up.
The way I prepare is by writting down the main quests, npcs, encounters, interactions, game systems, etc, that I want in the game in text files (or notebooks). They don't have to be fully developed, but at least the main steps/components of each.
As for how long, that depends on how many features you want your game to have.
And as for how complete the story has to be, that depends on how clear your vision is and what type of game you want to make. But you can get started with a general picture.

Here is an example of how I prepare a quest for exemple in a text file, it won't make sense to you probably, but it serves the purpose of a reference (since I -the dev- know what the steps are in my mind, but may forget the progression/details/etc).
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Now I do that for as many quests as I have originally envisioned, and also do something similar for whatever skills, npcs, locations, game systems, etc, that I aim for. And only then do I start coding.
And in the process of coding, there is always the possibility of adding/changing things; that is why it is not necessary to have the full picture, just a broad one. But having one helps in guiding the development.

Finally, and most important imo, is that there are many approaches to game development, and this is just the one I use, there are many other ways out there.

Mukesh12349

Oct 22, 2018
Hey there,

I've never used RPGM, but I can give you my opinion about the first point, and I have done so in many other threads. I personnally think that the preproduction is one of the most important steps, as it will give you a reference to go back to for when you are deep into coding and things get fogotten/mixed up.
The way I prepare is by writting down the main quests, npcs, encounters, interactions, game systems, etc, that I want in the game in text files (or notebooks). They don't have to be fully developed, but at least the main steps/components of each.
As for how long, that depends on how many features you want your game to have.
And as for how complete the story has to be, that depends on how clear your vision is and what type of game you want to make. But you can get started with a general picture.

Here is an example of how I prepare a quest for exemple in a text file, it won't make sense to you probably, but it serves the purpose of a reference (since I -the dev- know what the steps are in my mind, but may forget the progression/details/etc).
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Now I do that for as many quests as I have originally envisioned, and also do something similar for whatever skills, npcs, locations, game systems, etc, that I aim for. And only then do I start coding.
And in the process of coding, there is always the possibility of adding/changing things; that is why it is not necessary to have the full picture, just a broad one. But having one helps in guiding the development.

Finally, and most important imo, is that there are many approaches to game development, and this is just the one I use, there are many other ways out there.
Thanks a lot for your inputs.
I've also layed out the general story line using evernote. Some events that pop into my head are also being noted down as I go. Before, I wasn't very sure that if this was going to help me or create confusion at a later point of time while working with the engine. But your points made it certain that I was going in the right path. Thanks a lot for that.

Also your quest example isn't that complicated to understand. If fact I would say that is a pretty appropriate way of planning an event, straight to the point, unlike the additional bs I type down in my notes.

Reactions: Madmanator99