Ren'Py Which save file should I keep at the Renpy games?

TheAlex1998

Sep 5, 2023
Hello everyone,

I have a question where I have not yet found any clear information or help.
I play a lot of games from this site, mostly Renpy games and when I have played through a version of a game, for example version 0.5, I just want to delete the game due to lack of space BUT keep the save for the next version.
Which file or files should I keep in this case?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Penumbral Evanescence

|☽◯☾| Somnium of the Night ✧ Bête Noire
Donor
Jul 16, 2021
You don't need to really transfer over your save files or anything.

Just extract and unpack the contents of the new version of the Ren'PY game to the same file location where the older version is. Have both folders (e.g., 0.5 and 0.6) located next to one another, hit the .exe of the new game's version and then delete the older game files once you have loaded the new version of the game. Saves should automatically transfer over.

Reactions: TheAlex1998

Penumbral Evanescence

Donor
Jul 16, 2021
Just as an aside, if you are extra curious to know where the saves files are located, you can hit Windows button + r · Insert "%appdata%" (without the quotes) and then navigate to the Ren'PY games folder where all the saves should be stored for each individual game that you downloaded/installed.

TheAlex1998

Sep 5, 2023
Just as an aside, if you are extra curious to know where the saves files are located, you can hit Windows button + r · Insert "%appdata%" (without the quotes) and then navigate to the Ren'PY games folder where all the saves should be stored for each individual game that you downloaded/installed.
Ahhhh okay, thank you very much for this information.
So if I have understood correctly, actually if I delete the whole folder for the game and I simply download the next version in the future, it will continue right there because the saves are in the appdata folder, right?

Penumbral Evanescence

Donor
Jul 16, 2021
Ahhhh okay, thank you very much for this information.
So if I have understood correctly, actually if I delete the whole folder for the game and I simply download the next version in the future, it will continue right there because the saves are in the appdata folder, right?
Exactamundo Excelsior :WeSmart: ;) (y):coffee:

Reactions: TheAlex1998