is there less quality games being updated lately?

jacobbb

May 30, 2017
not sure if its just me but it sure feels like there's less quality games being regularly updated aside from the few that really blew up on patreon, it kinda seems like this was just a fad and its already starting to fade out.

Jun 8, 2017
Lots of games get updates every month the bigger ones get updates every 3 months and the biggest ones get updates every couple months,theirs plenty of games out there just depends what you are looking for,I found 3 new games tonight, and timestamps just had a update,milfy citys update is the end of this month,dmd gets a update this month too

sansot

Jan 14, 2019
It's what happens when fora like this are created that try to coalesce the 'best' games crowding out newer entries.

Also it's not just crowding out it's just saturated. Look at how many pages there are here, and that's just here. For a lot of these it would make more sense to combine and work in two to create something better. But who wants to share patreon amirite

Reactions: Volta

Benn Swagger

Aug 26, 2016
That's the problem with Quality Games. They gain popularity, Dev start expanding the games, but slow expanding their own team, or even still working it alone because solo-dev = more money. The more characters, either 2D or 3D, need more time for drawing/posing+rendering, need more time to write each characters story & dialog. Start 2 weeks update, now they 3 months per update, even a few are 6 months per update.

When in the past people joke about "See you all in the final version in 2025" for a game that start in 2017 ... this is not far from the truth. Some finished games I saw release like +10~20 updates before finally decide to end it. With many Developers now attract to high quality render (for 3DCG games) ... with new habit of 3months per update mean 4x updates per year, thus todays Quality Games might need +4~10 years to finish, or abandoned in the progress.

Reactions: Namco15 and MrBree

HopesGaming

The Godfather
Game Developer
Dec 21, 2017
Lot's factors.

Many of the first adult game was simply renders and story. One character on scene 90% of the time.
Ready-made poses and reuse of those. No post work.
For the old games, the release schedule was usually one month.
So basically one week (max) for the script and one week for the renders. Then one week setting it all together and release.

But as time goes the market evolve. People expectations change. They want something new. They want something better.
And the 100's of copy paste of the popular game that has failed is proof of that.
So they started working a bit more on the script. add 1-2 more week to it. They started working a bit more on the renders. add 2-3 weeks to it.
And slowly it is now longer for updates.
Even the old popular games have started doing that. And they have to. They're evolving.
Think the new update schedule is around the two months mark. Some can even go to the three months mark.

Of course. Speaking on the broad terms. There is still the question of VN and sandbox style of games. Where a bit of time is needed for the coding aspect of the sandbox.
Games such as milf city spend a lot of time on the animations so that will take some extra time.
And then there are some devs that can release quality updates each month with pure dedications and talent.

But overall, 2-3 months is the new norm for quality. Ironically enough, it is a move that started due to players wishing for something new and better.

Oh, and for the last couple of months, we need to remember that it was the Christmas and new eve time for most devs. They will spend that with the family. And also a month filled with sickness."

Volta

Apr 27, 2017
I couldn't agree with @sansot any harder if i tried, if even a few of these well meaning but inexperienced devs where able to co-op with each other they could make something really worth playing, hell even a few of the bigger devs with skills in certain areas but lacking in others should consider co-op models for a game, this is part of the reason ICSTOR does so much better with Milf City than with his previous games, he switched to Ren'py sure but he bought on a writer, big advantage.

It's just a bit of wishful thinking but i'd love to see a great writer like ASLPro work with some great renderer's like those behind a wife and mother, or get a hot shit programmer in with Philly games and make a game with both great storytelling and gameplay

As to the rate of updates for good games on here tbh i'm ok with this, i'd sooner wait three months for a decent amount of good content than come running back every month for a tiny amount, i ain't got time for that.

Reactions: sansot

HopesGaming

The Godfather
Game Developer
Dec 21, 2017
I couldn't agree with @sansot any harder if i tried, if even a few of these well meaning but inexperienced devs where able to co-op with each other they could make something really worth playing, hell even a few of the bigger devs with skills in certain areas but lacking in others should consider co-op models for a game, this is part of the reason ICSTOR does so much better with Milf City than with his previous games, he switched to Ren'py sure but he bought on a writer, big advantage.

It's just a bit of wishful thinking but i'd love to see a great writer like ASLPro work with some great renderer's like those behind a wife and mother, or get a hot shit programmer in with Philly games and make a game with both great storytelling and gameplay

As to the rate of updates for good games on here tbh i'm ok with this, i'd sooner wait three months for a decent amount of good content than come running back every month for a tiny amount, i ain't got time for that.
From the players view it can all seems simple enough. There is dev A who is great at one aspect and dev B who is great at another aspect. Make them work together and we as players can get something great! What could go wrong? Sadly it is not that simple.

The problem lies mainly in resources. Sure the top 10% can afford to pay people to do work for them.
But the rest 90% cannot. As it is already, there is barely enough income for one guy. Now hiring is out of the question. Where should the dev afford something like that?
Splitting the income of something that could already be considered slave labor won't do much to help either.
And not only the money issue. But clashes can happen. Different approaches and ideas. All it takes is one bad clash midway through the project and the game gets abandoned.
You get into this business because you as a dev have a personal vision on how you want a game to be. Not everyone shares that vision. So there is also the problem in finding one you share the same ideas with.

Personally, I am fine with working alone. Script and renders are being done okayish. There are no major complaints. My problem is a bit on the code. So the plan is to hire someone a couple of time to get a good coding framework. After that, it's back to solo work.

Teaming up is simply not plausible till you far in the future.

Nottravis

Sci-fi Smutress
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 3, 2017
From the players view it can all seems simple enough. There is dev A who is great at one aspect and dev B who is great at another aspect. Make them work together and we as players can get something great! What could go wrong? Sadly it is not that simple.

The problem lies mainly in resources. Sure the top 10% can afford to pay people to do work for them.
But the rest 90% cannot. As it is already, there is barely enough income for one guy. Now hiring is out of the question. Where should the dev afford something like that?
Splitting the income of something that could already be considered slave labor won't do much to help either.
And not only the money issue. But clashes can happen. Different approaches and ideas. All it takes is one bad clash midway through the project and the game gets abandoned.
You get into this business because you as a dev have a personal vision on how you want a game to be. Not everyone shares that vision. So there is also the problem in finding one you share the same ideas with.

Personally, I am fine with working alone. Script and renders are being done okayish. There are no major complaints. My problem is a bit on the code. So the plan is to hire someone a couple of time to get a good coding framework. After that, it's back to solo work.

Teaming up is simply not plausible till you far in the future.
Totally concur (although if your renders are merely okayish....Bloody hell:) ).

But the vision thing, I totally get. Unless you're in charge of a team, that would be the grit in the machine - especially if the game isn't the usual run of the mill. And that's before you got down to project logistics. Do you split the writing, rendering etc or have an expert in each?

Splitting them would lead to different narrative or art styles in the same game. Having an expert in each probably wouldn't buy that much extra capacity as x has to wait for z etc. So...tricky....

SeventhVixen

Game Developer
Jan 13, 2019
Almost everything it's been said in this post. But I like to add that it's normal more that "less quality games are being updated", because that's the trend of computer life nowadays. In NSFW and SFW. Every year there are more better or worse indie developers who jump to make anything, and there also the (bad bad bad thing) people who start a game and after two months of not getting much revenue for it, it just abandons. That, combined with the Patreon model of releasing unfinished products, makes the receipt of an abismal difference in quality-low quality releases.

polywog

Forum Fanatic
May 19, 2017
not sure if its just me but it sure feels like there's less quality games being regularly updated aside from the few that really blew up on patreon, it kinda seems like this was just a fad and its already starting to fade out.
Making adult games is mostly a labor of love, or a hobby. Those who try to make money from a game, quickly learn it isn't so easy. JrDevBadge.jpg If you are talented, it can be very rewarding. You can make friends around the world.

An artist might make a series of pictures that tell a story as a graphic novel, and adapt that into a Visual Novel with Renpy, Adobe Flash, or other software. Their primary income is their day-job, or from their artworks. The game serves to bring more attention to their art, and increase their popularity as an artist. The more fans an artist has, the better. The society of patrons, maintain lists of artist who's work benefits society. These wealthy individuals who support the arts give money to artists, so that they can spend more time doing art.

A non artist, with some other skills can beg, borrow, or steal, some pictures, animations, videos, etc. and create a game out of it. Occasionally they team up with an artist, but historically speaking, for non commercial use, they don't even credit the artist. They don't own the art, so they can't sell the game officially, but they can make money from advertising on their site, etc. and the games attract visitors to the site.

Teamwork works best, if you want to make a profession out of it.

Patreon wasn't the first site where adult game devs could make money. Many developers put their games up, on
membership sites, where players pay a small monthly fee to support the developers, and get access to play the games, these have been around for decades.

Patreon led a lot of people to think that they could realize their childhood dream of being a game developer. Trolls encouraged them to go make games. "anyone can do it... they said" F95 gave out developer badges like candy, to anyone who asked for one, and rubbed two pictures together. A few percent make it, and those who fail learn from the experience, and will forever be able to pat themselves on the back, and say "at least I tried"

polywog

Forum Fanatic
May 19, 2017
Totally concur (although if your renders are merely okayish....Bloody hell:) ).

But the vision thing, I totally get. Unless you're in charge of a team, that would be the grit in the machine - especially if the game isn't the usual run of the mill. And that's before you got down to project logistics. Do you split the writing, rendering etc or have an expert in each?

Splitting them would lead to different narrative or art styles in the same game. Having an expert in each probably wouldn't buy that much extra capacity as x has to wait for z etc. So...tricky....
Collaboration, doesn't mean two art styles. Multiple posers can work on the same assets and scenes over a private network. Both artists / team work an 8 hour day, and batch the renders overnight. Many Chat, Slack, trello, discord, etc writers work together from home, on the same story, same whiteboard.

Kyraneth

Oct 3, 2017
Both artists / team work an 8 hour day, and batch the renders overnight. Many Chat, Slack, trello, discord, etc writers work together from home, on the same story, same whiteboard.
I wonder, how much income this theoretical project should produce to even exist.

Reactions: Nottravis

Nottravis

Sci-fi Smutress
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 3, 2017
Collaboration, doesn't mean two art styles. Multiple posers can work on the same assets and scenes over a private network. Both artists / team work an 8 hour day, and batch the renders overnight. Many Chat, Slack, trello, discord, etc writers work together from home, on the same story, same whiteboard.
But the composition would end up different for a start. There's more to the scene than just using the same asset base, no?

Hence why the style would be different.

Reactions: Domiek and Akamari

polywog

Forum Fanatic
May 19, 2017
But the composition would end up different for a start. There's more to the scene than just using the same asset base, no?

Hence why the style would be different.
Example:
I'm the team leader. The software is running on my server, all the assets, voice, everything for the game is on a project drive, all team members (guild mates) can login, and work on the game, at the same time. team members talk on team-speak, discuss ideas, move pictures around on the whiteboard... like you are in the same room together. except you can be naked, while you work, and your coworkers don't know
on_the_internet_nobody_knows_you_re_a_dog.jpg

you are Literally using THE same assets on one drive, doing all the scenes on one computer. not just the same asset downloads, the same settings, morphs, shader scripts, lighting scripts, as if one person did all.

Reactions: megaplayboy10k

polywog

Forum Fanatic
May 19, 2017
I wonder, how much income this theoretical project should produce to even exist.
Theoretical doesn't mean anything by itself. You'll need to add more info before I can answer your question. What are you working on? Are you an artist, coder, writer, something else?

Search these forums, and you'll find people asking "why do I only have 2 patrons, when other developers are making over $100k annually?" To be blunt, the answer is skills.

"Will my game make as much as ___________?" It's hard to say. Probably not.

Sumodeine

I killed Eric
Game Developer
Oct 8, 2017
I'm not sure if it's a fad, or just a thinning of the herd. As others have said, the days of a 1st time dev releasing a V.01 and getting a ton of patrons are long behind us. I think the really good devs (Icstor, Pinkcake, Philly, Ptolemy, etc) help push this little "industry" forward. Because of the amazing quality of the top tier developers' work, a lot of players are now expecting a certain level of quality that is extremely hard for a first time developer to achieve. Because players are expecting top tier quality and not getting it, we have a lot of new devs quit when they are criticized too much and/or they don't get the patreon backing they hoped for. The barrier for entry into this market is low, but the very few new devs seem to stick around because it is very hard to make a living doing this. Very few devs make a lot of money, and they've earned it and work their asses off for it.

I don't know if my game widely considered "quality", but I see my game as a hobby for myself. I put countless hours into every update, and even after developing it for over a year, I'm probably not even making hourly minimum wage when looking at the amount of time I put into it. And that's okay. I never set out to replace my career with this. I enjoy making my game and working on it is a good way for me to unwind after a stressful day at work. Before I starting doing this, my hobby was woodworking, which I didn't really make any money from. The ironic thing is that if everyone that downloaded my game even contributed a $1 a month, I would probably make enough where it could replace my full time job. But clearly, my game isn't worth that to everyone that plays it.

The reason I mention this is because it directly relates to your question. It seems like there's less quality games because it comes down to money. Players aren't contributing to new devs because their games aren't high enough quality, but their games aren't high enough quality because it's difficult to pour countless hours into something that is going to net you $20-$30 in your first few months, especially while you will make more money bagging groceries. It's a chicken and egg situation, in my opinion. Unfortunately, I don't see that trend ending anytime soon.

megaplayboy10k

Apr 16, 2018
Sturgeon's Law(expanded) says "95% of everything is crap". There are over 3000 games on this site. 5% of that is 150. That's still a lot of quality games, worst case. Further, among the games that are less than awesome, some are less than awesome because they are unpolished(lower quality renders or writing not refined), some are less than awesome because they are unoriginal(even using the "character" models from other games), some are less than awesome because the quality is decent but they seem to be "milking" their patrons(releases either far apart or not much when updated), some are awesome but unfinished because the dev had real life issues that stopped them from completing it. So a certain amount of forebearance and understanding among the player/gamer base isn't a bad thing, imo.

polywog

Forum Fanatic
May 19, 2017
Sturgeon's Law(expanded) says "95% of everything is crap". There are over 3000 games on this site. 5% of that is 150. That's still a lot of quality games, worst case. Further, among the games that are less than awesome, some are less than awesome because they are unpolished(lower quality renders or writing not refined), some are less than awesome because they are unoriginal(even using the "character" models from other games), some are less than awesome because the quality is decent but they seem to be "milking" their patrons(releases either far apart or not much when updated), some are awesome but unfinished because the dev had real life issues that stopped them from completing it. So a certain amount of forebearance and understanding among the player/gamer base isn't a bad thing, imo.

In my 20s I had a 57" chest, and most of my friends were "jocks". One day a buddy of mine asks randomly "what do you think of (not mentioning names)?" My instant reply was "she's ugly" He looked me in the eye, and said "I'm gonna marry her" I thought, there's no way he's serious. Two seconds later, he pulls a ring out of his pocket, and shows it to me. I'm dead serious, he could have had any girl he wanted. A million things are going through my mind, but the words can't get out. my foot is blocking them. She's not even a 2/10, and try as I might, I couldn't recover. His whole life flashed before my eyes... him selling used cars, and their ugly children going to school. It was a valuable lesson. We don't all have the same tastes. Honestly, she was probably a 6/10, but not my type at all. Their children turned out beautiful. There is someone out there for everyone.

That being said... I don't like blondes. Not just the "dumb blonde" stereo-type, I mean blondes make my penis shrink.

So while normally I advise people to make a game that they like, rather than asking "what should I put in my game"
I will make an exception to that rule for game remakes. I don't want to play the... Big Brother Blonde Family, but others might.
Dating my non-blonde daughter, would have twice as many fans as the original. Mr Dots could milk D for 5 more years, to complete the whole set. Dating my Asian daughter, my redhead daughter, my brunette daughter, my African daughter.
Dating my furry daughter, Dating my son.