[2D] Looking for feedback on animation style (Beginner Gamedev)

StinkStoneGames

Game Developer
Apr 1, 2021
Hey everyone !

I hope i posted this in the right place this time.

I started working on a RPGM game, and i'm having trouble with how i want the sex scenes to look.
I am not an animator, so i tried 2 methods (simple with 2 keyframes, and "animating" with liquify tool) and I'd like to know which is better.

It's not perfect but i want to know which "style" would people prefer before is start working on other scenes.

Animationtest1.gif
Animationtest2.gif

Thanks for your feedback !

StinkStone.

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
I think your technique with the liquify tool does a pretty good job!

Comparing the two animations, I do prefer the liquified animation more
  • the 2 frame animation doesn't seem to carry any emotion
  • without having the liquified animation next to it, the timing you used for the two frames makes no sense (with 2 frames while I understand that the character is performing an action (a blowjob), I can't understand the movement (one frame having more time than the other fails to communicate that the character is 'accelerating' at the start of the blowjob, it just look like awkward timing.
  • The liquified animation is pretty good, I can tell that you make use of some tweening, having the character accelerate at the start, and then stop for a moment, pull back and theres a small moment slowing down before she's done ready to repeat.
While someone who may be more technical or may be less understanding may see and focus on the fact that the animation isn't 'smooth' or 'consistent everywhere' I don't think thats too important or will be seriously noticed, I think what you managed to achieve is more than enough, and I think the effect of showing a few more frames really adds to the spirit of the animation.

Now the question is, how much effort is it, and is it worth it to keep using the technique, or do you feel you still need to experiment more to make the process less of a pain (less tedious, quicker, or less skill based).

I'd actually like to try this technique, I like how you managed to make a fairly decent animation, without having to solve technical issues (I've been slicing up images to allow for body parts to smoothly move over other occluded parts, such as how the but occludes the left shoe). In fact I think your technique is a better match for the art style I've been experimenting with, instead of the (hype) smooth animations I've thought about doing (or at least smooth relative to this style. I like my art to seem like a drawn cartoon).

StinkStoneGames

Game Developer
Apr 1, 2021
I think your technique with the liquify tool does a pretty good job!

Comparing the two animations, I do prefer the liquified animation more
  • the 2 frame animation doesn't seem to carry any emotion
  • without having the liquified animation next to it, the timing you used for the two frames makes no sense (with 2 frames while I understand that the character is performing an action (a blowjob), I can't understand the movement (one frame having more time than the other fails to communicate that the character is 'accelerating' at the start of the blowjob, it just look like awkward timing.
  • The liquified animation is pretty good, I can tell that you make use of some tweening, having the character accelerate at the start, and then stop for a moment, pull back and theres a small moment slowing down before she's done ready to repeat.
While someone who may be more technical or may be less understanding may see and focus on the fact that the animation isn't 'smooth' or 'consistent everywhere' I don't think thats too important or will be seriously noticed, I think what you managed to achieve is more than enough, and I think the effect of showing a few more frames really adds to the spirit of the animation.

Now the question is, how much effort is it, and is it worth it to keep using the technique, or do you feel you still need to experiment more to make the process less of a pain (less tedious, quicker, or less skill based).

I'd actually like to try this technique, I like how you managed to make a fairly decent animation, without having to solve technical issues (I've been slicing up images to allow for body parts to smoothly move over other occluded parts, such as how the but occludes the left shoe). In fact I think your technique is a better match for the art style I've been experimenting with, instead of the (hype) smooth animations I've thought about doing (or at least smooth relative to this style. I like my art to seem like a drawn cartoon).
Yeah I really want to stay away from slicing my drawing to animate them, it's not really realistic if I want to make a game with a decent number of scenes, it would take too much time.
I found that liquify is a faster way to do the job (only took like 10min to make that test gif, with 4 frames total) , but I was scared it would mess up things like facial features and make the animation look weird. You can still see someweird things like the top of the head and the right side of the butt, but I guess that's the limit of this technique.

Anyway thank you so much for your feedback ! Helped a lot !

Reactions: Saki_Sliz

unocrus

Oct 28, 2018
The second one looks great! That being said, whenever I see animations like this I can't help but wonder what other pose or CG was sacrificed to make time for the animation.

Reactions: StinkStoneGames

StinkStoneGames

Game Developer
Apr 1, 2021
The second one looks great! That being said, whenever I see animations like this I can't help but wonder what other pose or CG was sacrificed to make time for the animation.
Exactly ! That's why i really try to make the animation process as fast as possible, so i can work on more content