2D VS 3D - Sample images

The Dark Moonshine

Game Developer
Oct 15, 2020
When I started my game I thought of doing it in 2d because it was the easiest thing for me.

But I'm realizing that the flexibility of 3d is remarkable.

What are the tastes of the audience?
In order for my story to go, I need funding, and to get it, I have to meet the desires of my potential audience.

What do you think I should do?

Here's a comparison of a 2D vs 3d model (I can't afford the 3d background now :-D)

screenshot 02_1.jpg

samantha.jpg

Machinist

Game Developer
Aug 24, 2020
If you have the means to do 2d art properly (I like your art) but don't have the means to do 3d, I think the choice is obvious.
Besides, from what I've seen, 2d is more prone to be successful.

I'm more into 3d but in your case I think it would be better to stick to 2d and get better at it over time.

Reactions: The Dark Moonshine

The Dark Moonshine

Game Developer
Oct 15, 2020
Thanks!
Thank you so much for your compliments and advice.
The drawn sex scenes are very complicated.
I am now experimenting with 3d as well. I don't mind broadening my horizons, it's all experience.

I will also add another experiment for comparison:

Patty15.png

Nurse Happy.png

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
2d stands out more imo and your 2d stuff is good enough to stand out among the saturated Daz games.

that being said though:
In order for my story to go, I need funding, and to get it, I have to meet the desires of my potential audience.
Is exactly the way of thinking that leads to many failed devs and abandoned 0.1 games.

The Dark Moonshine

Game Developer
Oct 15, 2020
Thanks for your opinions, I need different ideas and discussions.

I love working with graphic editors and this jump into Daz is also to get me to disconnect a bit and think more about what I do.

I definitely plan on finishing Day 1, I need to figure out how best to do it.

Thank you really because on my own I can't see the big picture.

TheHighSpire

Feb 1, 2020
I'm more into 2dcg images and I actively avoid 3dcg for the most part. Neither looks particularly realistic and I often find 3dcg to be pretty off-putting for me.

Besides, I've simply seen too many 3dcg that are mediocre. Not that 2dcg is too different - especially Japanese Hentai games can quickly seem generic.

Your art is somewhat cartoonish, which isn't my favorite. But I'd still pick the 2dcg over the 3dcg. Not least because it makes your game stand out easier. There are already a ridiculous amount of 3dcg.

Crimson Delight Games

Game Developer
Nov 20, 2020
The Dark Moonshine
If you're debating which to go with, and can produce serviceable 2D, then do that. The reason most people opt for 3D is because they don't have an artist on the team, and 3D allows them to create relatively good scenes. But since you yourself are doing the art, then stick with 2D. You'll also get better with time, and your next game will have even better art, whereas going with 3D will do nothing for your artistic skills (apart from getting better at posing models and setting up scenes).