2dcg vs 3dcg which do you prefer?

2dcg vs 3dcg which do you prefer?

• Total voters

Ghost'Xo

Oct 24, 2020
Just curious about what other people are into, when I first found this site it was due to taffy tales I never played any 3dcg games before finding this website, so I was originally just a 2d fan but the more games I've played the more 3d has been growing on me, now I find it hard to choose between which I like better

God3333

Mar 9, 2019
I think it depends on other factors. 2DCG is almost always drawn/made from scratch or custom made, whereas 3dcg has a tendency to reuse the same assets etc. If I want to be immersed I'd probably go with 3dcg. 2dcg more focuses around less realistic stories and find it easier to come across.
It's really up to the dev, I don't really care, as long as the renders look decent and aren't reused then we're good.

FoundInTransit

Jan 11, 2021
2D generally has better art and proportions than 3D. 3DCG, in my experience is much less likely to be "good" than 2D. It's partly the asset re-use that God3333 mentioned, but it's also the lighting, textures, and model quality. Model quality is especially critical around the face area. It seems much harder to get good-looking 3DCG than to get good looking 2D stuff. The uncanny valley is a big problem.

Reactions: ZenMaru

ririmudev

Dec 15, 2018
2D generally has better art and proportions than 3D. 3DCG, in my experience is much less likely to be "good" than 2D. It's partly the asset re-use that God3333 mentioned, but it's also the lighting, textures, and model quality. Model quality is especially critical around the face area. It seems much harder to get good-looking 3DCG than to get good looking 2D stuff. The uncanny valley is a big problem.
Yeah, unfortunately the teeth of all things usually turn me off to 3D. I think a long time ago, I learned in an art class that you need to be really subtle with lines between the teeth, and it can be better to leave the lines out and keep things a bit abstract. So whenever I see models and there are clearly lines between the teeth, it sticks out and I can't deal with it. The duck-face lips are also a problem. And a lot of the faces have the same shape. Well, I'll stop here.

Reactions: ZenMaru