• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'sensitive'

Xagrim

Game Developer
Nov 30, 2017
Hi guys,

this error comes after the Renpy update. And i have no idea what's the problem is.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
this error comes after the Renpy update. And i have no idea what's the problem is.
Apparently it's a twisted problem related to this one. For some reason, since the version 7.2.0 at load times some screens end with a value of None instead of their own value. It shouldn't happen since screens aren't supposed to be saved, yet it happen in some really exceptional case that I was never able to really understood.
I fixed it in the thread of your game, but there's really few reasons for the problem to directly come from the game. Personally I have it only with games that switched from a < 7.2.0 version of Ren'py, to a > 7.2.0 version, and for which I used a dirty little tricks, and never in another case of figure. I assume that it's the same kind of problem for the guy who reported the error.

Xagrim

Game Developer
Nov 30, 2017
Apparently it's a twisted problem related to this one. For some reason, since the version 7.2.0 at load times some screens end with a value of None instead of their own value. It shouldn't happen since screens aren't supposed to be saved, yet it happen in some really exceptional case that I was never able to really understood.
I fixed it in the thread of your game, but there's really few reasons for the problem to directly come from the game. Personally I have it only with games that switched from a < 7.2.0 version of Ren'py, to a > 7.2.0 version, and for which I used a dirty little tricks, and never in another case of figure. I assume that it's the same kind of problem for the guy who reported the error.
I think it is a own Renpy Problem and i have no idea how can i fix it. What can i do with the screens to fix it?
Did your trick work for General if i put in in my script? At this place should i put it then?
I think it is only for old saves before the 7.2.0. After this it should all work.

anne O'nymous

Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
Did your trick work for General if i put in in my script? At this place should i put it then?
I think it is only for old saves before the 7.2.0. After this it should all work.
It would works if you put it on your own script, but did the problem effectively happen to many person or is it just a one time report ? Because, it's sad to say, but if it's an exceptional occurrence, it's probably better to ask the player who encounter it to start a new game.
I mean, it's really a dirty fix and I don't have used it enough to tell if it's a one time thing or if it must be kept forever.

I found the previous update of your game, well, I haven't been far playing it, but I had no problem to load this save on the actual 0.47a. So personally I would advice you to wait and see how many peoples complain about the problem.
If there's just the person I answered to in your game's thread, or perhaps one/two more, then let it go. It really don't seem to be a problem related directly to your game, and more something due to the use some players do of it.
I mean, it's a "warranty void if opened" case. You guaranty that the game will works, but as long as it's played as intended. If a player use home made tricks (like me) or a tiers party mod, then it's not anymore your responsibility if there's a problem due to this.

Xagrim

Game Developer
Nov 30, 2017
It would works if you put it on your own script, but did the problem effectively happen to many person or is it just a one time report ? Because, it's sad to say, but if it's an exceptional occurrence, it's probably better to ask the player who encounter it to start a new game.
I mean, it's really a dirty fix and I don't have used it enough to tell if it's a one time thing or if it must be kept forever.

I found the previous update of your game, well, I haven't been far playing it, but I had no problem to load this save on the actual 0.47a. So personally I would advice you to wait and see how many peoples complain about the problem.
If there's just the person I answered to in your game's thread, or perhaps one/two more, then let it go. It really don't seem to be a problem related directly to your game, and more something due to the use some players do of it.
I mean, it's a "warranty void if opened" case. You guaranty that the game will works, but as long as it's played as intended. If a player use home made tricks (like me) or a tiers party mod, then it's not anymore your responsibility if there's a problem due to this.
I think some people which used a savegame before the 7.3.0 have the problem, but i don't really knowing it.
Thank you. I try it to put it in the script perhaps for some updates, after this i can delete it i think.
Can the fix bring problems in other ways?
Because the game is in development and Renpy brings updates it is not avoidable to start a new game from time to time.

anne O'nymous

Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
I think some people which used a savegame before the 7.3.0 have the problem, but i don't really knowing it.
If one of your patrons mention this issue, you should ask for a copy of the compromised save file, and talk about the issue on the ; it will be more welcomed coming from a game author with a same coming from someone who play legitimately.

The weird part being that it happen rarely...
According to Google, the error have been reported less than 30 times, and all except one, on this forum. There's no occurrence of the error that don't concern an adult game, but it can be explained by the fact that we are almost the only scene that release the games update by update. If there's more complain, they appeared on places that Google can't access, like Patreon's post behind paywall by example.
It still place this problem as a really exceptional one, with only 6 games impacted for players that have a normal use (by opposition to my dirty one). The more impacted being "Being A DIK" and apparently it was caused by the mod.

Therefore I stand on my previous advice. The safer move you can make is to ask the players to restart the game.

Thank you. I try it to put it in the script perhaps for some updates, after this i can delete it i think.
So... I past part of my day doing a lot of tests, and my fix solve the problem, yes, but the problem stay ; it's like putting a poster on a wall to hide the hole behind it ; once you remove the poster, the hole is seen again.
As for the side effects, well... The fix redefine two methods of the object handling the screens, by copying them strictly, just including a test to avoid the error. Therefore, as long as those two methods don't change, the fix will have no side effects. But only "as long as" :(

My test shown me another workaround, but not really a suitable one.
Apparently, renaming the screen is enough to solve the problem. Just forcing the recompilation of the rpy files wasn't enough. Same if I just corrected the screens by adding the property that cause the error. I really needed to rename the screen.
Alas, the player that had this problem with your game had this in the trackback :
File "D2bar.rpyc", line 82, in script call
File "routinen.rpyc", line 2407, in script
everything else pointing to Ren'py's code. Which locate the error in a menu (D2bar) and in a dialog line (routinen), and so seem to imply that even Ren'py's internal screens are impacted by the problem. Therefore, renaming the screen isn't a viable option here.

Xagrim

Game Developer
Nov 30, 2017
If one of your patrons mention this issue, you should ask for a copy of the compromised save file, and talk about the issue on the ; it will be more welcomed coming from a game author with a same coming from someone who play legitimately.

The weird part being that it happen rarely...
According to Google, the error have been reported less than 30 times, and all except one, on this forum. There's no occurrence of the error that don't concern an adult game, but it can be explained by the fact that we are almost the only scene that release the games update by update. If there's more complain, they appeared on places that Google can't access, like Patreon's post behind paywall by example.
It still place this problem as a really exceptional one, with only 6 games impacted for players that have a normal use (by opposition to my dirty one). The more impacted being "Being A DIK" and apparently it was caused by the mod.

Therefore I stand on my previous advice. The safer move you can make is to ask the players to restart the game.

So... I past part of my day doing a lot of tests, and my fix solve the problem, yes, but the problem stay ; it's like putting a poster on a wall to hide the hole behind it ; once you remove the poster, the hole is seen again.
As for the side effects, well... The fix redefine two methods of the object handling the screens, by copying them strictly, just including a test to avoid the error. Therefore, as long as those two methods don't change, the fix will have no side effects. But only "as long as" :(

My test shown me another workaround, but not really a suitable one.
Apparently, renaming the screen is enough to solve the problem. Just forcing the recompilation of the rpy files wasn't enough. Same if I just corrected the screens by adding the property that cause the error. I really needed to rename the screen.
Alas, the player that had this problem with your game had this in the trackback :

everything else pointing to Ren'py's code. Which locate the error in a menu (D2bar) and in a dialog line (routinen), and so seem to imply that even Ren'py's internal screens are impacted by the problem. Therefore, renaming the screen isn't a viable option here.
Ok it is then a Renpy code error and i can do nothing?
I need a password for the regestration on this site.

Yes thats what i'm wondering. The two lines have nothing todo with screens.

Xagrim

Game Developer
Nov 30, 2017
The Ren'Py creator know about this bug and he say that it will be fixed with the next update 7.3.3. But no release date.
That means i do Nothing itm and wait for it. Thank you very much for your help.

Last edited:

the66

beware, the germans are cumming
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jan 27, 2017
Xagrim update to Ren'Py 7.3.3, the bug should be fixed there.

Reactions: Xagrim

Xagrim

Game Developer
Nov 30, 2017
Thanks anne O'nymous , i just had the same error in the game "RIng of Lust v0.1.3a".
I used your "420437_AON_sensitive_FIX.rpy" file and that fixed it.
If the developer update his Ren'Py on the new version and release a update it should be never come back.

anne O'nymous

Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
If the developer update his Ren'Py on the new version and release a update it should be never come back.
He released two updates since, but I haven't had time to see if it solved the problem or not.