[3D GameDev] 3D Models

Spirox

Jun 15, 2018
Hello guys,

I am messing up right now a little bit with blender, and I find it's UI horrible, to be honest... So what do you use to create your 3D models? And or those who don't use Blender and buy assets from DAZ, does Daz (ok... sounds weird) have nude complete models with all the genital parts, etc? So in other words, what I am saying is, if you take your models from DAZ you just do the animations in unity/ureal for the sex scenes parts?

thank you for your help!!

monkeyposter_7

Thirsty for my Guest
Game Developer
Nov 23, 2018
Yes, u have models and u can change their features. Anything on them can be "morphed"
And full environments, props...
For sex scenes and such, it's all about posing, it's pretty easy to do once u figure out the bending of body parts and such.
U will have to learn about lighting your scenes tho, it's a bitch!

I would suggest u keep learning blender, it just take a little time to get it, like anything else.
It can do wonders and your environments wont be same as 90% games where people use same assets.

Reactions: p_staker and Spirox

Spirox

Jun 15, 2018
Thanks, DMDfan69 Can I ask you a personal question? I have seen that you are making 3D VN games and wanted to know if you use unity or unreal? I mean what are your coding skills?

monkeyposter_7

Thirsty for my Guest
Game Developer
Nov 23, 2018
Thanks, DMDfan69 Can I ask you a personal question? I have seen that you are making 3D VN games and wanted to know if you use unity or unreal? I mean what are your coding skills?
My coding skills are zero lol
I'm using renpy, google-ing and asking people for help as i go along in the story.
for modeling i use some assests and i make own stuff in blender
and then daz3d for posing and rendering scenes/animations

It's a VN, it's mostlly still images with few animations. I wouldn't even know where to start making a 3D game, nor im interested in that

So i can't suggest u anything about that. But i'm guessing people use it in combination with blender/daz3d/photoshop etc

FranceToast

Donor
Jul 31, 2018
Just a reminder that if you are making a true 3-D game (as opposed to just using 3-D models to render 2-D imagery/animations, like for Ren'Py) then Daz3D has a separate licensing price in addition to the cost of the 3-D models for true 3-D games. (Another great argument for doing your own stuff in Blender!)

Reactions: p_staker and Spirox

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
I would not suggest you to continue blender if you only need characters, do not take it as an offense but it would take you a very long time to create a humanoid character as good as what other tools such as DAZ3D offer.

There are many character creators, both free and paid, even for blender (manuelbastioni).

Do continue blender if you plan you will need other things other than the humanoid characters, for instance modelling a a tea cup, a bed... Or even a whole scene.

Serious character creators are full nude, then there are tools like fuse, no one talks about fuse :sick:.

Animations can be done anywhere, even within blender... Some programs offer an easier process of animation whereas engines like Unity may need a few plugins to get the same result but unfortunately, nothing beats mocap but that is expensive, so you will have to use good old manual animation.

Reactions: Spirox

Spirox

Jun 15, 2018
Just a reminder that if you are making a true 3-D game (as opposed to just using 3-D models to render 2-D imagery/animations, like for Ren'Py) then Daz3D has a separate licensing price in addition to the cost of the 3-D models for true 3-D games. (Another great argument for doing your own stuff in Blender!)
Or I think we can still buy 3D models from the unity asset store with only one license type?

FranceToast

Donor
Jul 31, 2018
Or I think we can still buy 3D models from the unity asset store with only one license type?
Oh, I'm sure there are other 3-D model sites that don't have the additional "Interactive License" thing-I just noticed it on both the Daz3D store and the Renderosity store (oddly, not the Renderotica store, at least on the figures I looked at.)

Emoon

May 4, 2017
I'm a Maya kid so i feel your pain with Blender but i might have a Blender version for you that will ease the pain.
It's called and it is a truly complete rework of Blenders UI and general quirks. It offers everything that Blender has to offer (well it's Blender after all) but rearranged and with a more beginner/user-friendly approach.
Give it a try it might get you back on track, it surely helped me.

To answer your workflow question. I use a combination of DAZ and ZBrush for the nitty gritty character stuff. DAZ mainly just provides the "base mesh" (i know character artists roll their eyes now but please, don't kill me) for sculpting since i hate the slider system in DAZ, i have more control over the look in ZBrush. After i'm done with that i bring the sculpt over to Maya for retopo, create UVs and start baking maps in Substance Painter which i then directly use to create the textures. The base DAZ models are fine in terms of topology but a nightmare in terms of textures (for use in a realtime engine that is), they are developed for the use in offline renders and even tho Unity or Unreal wont have a problem with the 15+ textures per character, i can't stand it. If you have the money i highly recommend the displacement maps from , trust me it's money well spent.
Last but not least i rig them. I have a custom rig that i use for DAZ characters it's basically a stripped down version of their original rig since there are a few bones that you never need in a game or who will cause problems later on, i can't share it unfortunately since it contains proprietary stuff and removing it would break the whole system. But if you plan on using Unreal i highly recommend using ARTv1 or better yet ( ) there is hardly any better rigging solution for the UE4 available out there and it's free.

For environment pieces i use the regular old workflow of ZBrush and/or Maya and Substance.

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
I love blender. I use 2.79, but 2.80 beta is out, and it is said to be much more user friendly.

Spirox

Jun 15, 2018
All the people who here use 3D modeller like Blender, Daz, etc... Do we need drawing skills to render some good 3D models?

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
To be honest no, but it really helps! Or just steal from someone else style like I did.

First of all, what is drawing skills?

Firstly, it helps to be able to design a character in 2D, and make a drawing so that you can model them in 3D.
WARNING making a 2D character into 3D can make a good looking character on paper suddenly look much more disturbing in 3D, but this is normal, This is because of the uncanny effect. The more realistic you get (2d to 3D with shading adds a level of realism), the less room you have for error, so the easier for anything strange to stick out and look bad.
I notice that most character models look bad when you are editing them, but once you make a render, because you are not moving the camera around trying to inspect the model, anything that could look bad tends not to show up, so renders tend to make the model looks better than when you are editing and posing them.

but this is not necessary

Secondly and Lastly, the main advantage to having drawing skill isn't to draw a character, it is to know what things you can try to make your character look better, skills to self evaluate your work.

My case, for instance, most artists start out trying to be realistic, eventually, you realize no one gives a damn about realism, exaggeration and simplicity are their own art forms that need to be mastered and exaggeration is the key to successful art (more important in 2D art than 3D but still applies) exaggeration requires that you already be skilled in simplifying, simplifying requires you to have art and drawing skill so you need to know what things are important, what to keep, what can be exaggerated, what effects tend to lead to what, etc. Skills like gesture lines, lines of action, unique silhouettes, color theory, knowledge of some physics (light polarization, human anatomy, humanoid locomotion, mental tricks you can do with things like line weight or perception), can all help enhance plain images and renders.

Have a style.
What is a style?
A style is not a skill or technique you mastered and is your own,
a style is what you get when you get tired of trying to make great realistic art and instead start making compromises

Using a set of tricks to compromise on your work is great because it helps speed up your art style and make it simpler and easy to make. For example, shade or no shading. Shading is better, but takes more time. infact, you may find it has deminishing returns on investment (meaning, lot more work to do, and not that much better looking). Cell shading (just one color shadows) is a great way to add the effect of shading without hardly any work (great bang per buck).

In my case, I am no longer doing 3D art, because it takes more work to make (lots of prep work) and it is harder to make look good (being 3D it is already more realistic, even if you try to make a cartoonish 3D thing, and the more realistic it is the less wiggle room you have to make mistakes or design choices and the harder it is to self evaluate because your mind wants to think in terms of realism), I am focusing on cartoony 2D art.

Literally, last week found and mastered the art style I want to make. It is 2D vector art with very minimal shading (mostly some red under the knees, breast and in the face). I have a model in 3D which I pose (I did not make a character mesh, it is more like globs of clay in the shape to build a body, globs of clay work great because they help make the 3D render look more abstract so you are less likely to trace and instead just getting the feeling of the gesture lines, and blobs that do not smoothly connect with each other means you have landmarks to use as references as you add in details, which are harder to find on a fully made character mesh.) using 2D vector is a great way to simulate a hand-drawn look when you don't have a tablet to draw with, or a very clean look, I could do several characters and poses a day if I wanted to, as well as I can take the vectors into blender to animate them :D.

But do you need to study all of that... nah. Why?
there is a saying, good artist copy, but great artist steal.
Basically take things you like, steal them, and mash them up together, such as I once did a study on how to make eyes for a code lyoko character, using a trick to get it right every time, I found that if I smoothed the lines the trick worked great to make another style of eyes I really liked but could never master before.
So find an art style you like, try to see if you can mimic it.

my issue is body proportions, how far to draw the knees from the hip, hip to torso, hip width, etc, which is why I looked at a lot of styles, tried to find my favorite, then use 3D models to do the work for me, just pose, evaluate if the silhouette is good, if the gesture lines are good, if the line of action is good, and then I know it will look good when I make it a 2D drawing. I should practice drawing people more and studying anatomy more, but I am lazy, this is good enough and just as fast as if I were a pro. So don't feel like you need to master it all, just get good at shortcuts. Cell shading, for example, is a great short cut, it really brings life to an image and it doesn't take a crazy amount of work, using glancing highlight is another way to make an image pop to life with minimal work. Really, you just test things or find things and steal it, same as getting good at using blender, what video, learn a trick, use it. It's how I was able to make a automated procedural skin shader for blender :D

oh, and one other last skill. Not a drawing skill, but you can all take ideas from photography and the film industry to improve your work. Such as good composition to make renders look less... fake, or good story presentation techniques (like the 180 rule or something, which I never really bothered remembering). Even skills from engineering can help , like the 80/20 rule and such.

any skill you learn in life could probably be applied to improving 3D art. If you want any details just ask, but most of the time I can send links to a video that does better at explaining.

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
Oh, and since you asked about coding and 3D engines, I say unity is the best option.
if you are wondering about programming,
here

lobotomist

Sep 4, 2017
what version of blender are you using? 2.8 was heavily reworked a is super user friendly

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
what version of blender are you using? 2.8 was heavily reworked a is super user friendly
Are you asking me?

Right now I am using 2.79b.

But I do know that the 2.8 beta (it should be called blender 3.0 instead since it is such a big change) is out.

Actually, in the next week or two, I have to learn to master 2.8 beta, not because I think it will be better than 2.79b (I have gotten use to the short keys), but because I am going to teach a workshop on how to model and 3D print using free programs, and blender is the most powerful, and to make it easy for people I'll use blender 2.8 since it was designed to be more user friendly then any previous versions.

what about you?

lobotomist

Sep 4, 2017
No. Not you :V

But im using both since 2.8 doesn't have retopology tools yet, that makes it kinda useless. Stil eevee makes a lot of other stuff much simpler.

Reactions: Saki_Sliz

Regress

May 18, 2018
I learned a lot of Blender in the past 2 weeks...No, you don't have to be an artist for anything complex but anything worth making takes a lot of time and effort. Like some other guy said, I basically just used some other models and edited the crap out of it. Try looking at other people's work and see what you can do with them and how they did them.

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
But im using both since 2.8 doesn't have retopology tools yet, that makes it kinda useless.
Are you talking about plugins like retopoflow, or do you mean more fundamental things like surface snapping, subdividing, solidifying and shrinkwrap modifiers?