Daz 4090 not getting fully utilized

immortalkid69

Jun 13, 2022
1675684149707.png

I just noticed my 4090 is not using its full power when rendering on DAZ. I am using latest Daz public version. Any solution guys?

GNVE

Jul 20, 2018
Windows is not the right tool to see if your GPU is being utilized by Daz. Try GPU-Z, you'll probably see it hitting some kind of limit (thermal, voltage, power etc.). (As is also indicated by your fans spinning up etc.)
The only thing windows is good for is to see how much VRAM headroom you still have left. VRAM is not fully utilized. It is used to load all the assets in the scene in memory. So in your example you still have 7,6 GB left so if needed you could still add more characters, clothing, decor etc in the scene if needed (though this would also increase rendering times and takes longer to make of course.)
Hope this helps a little to explain what is going on.

Reactions: immortalkid69

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
To what GNVE already said, there's also two things to consider:

Firstly, the GPU is used when needed, and as much as needed. If you do a test render at low setting, with just a figure and some clothes, the needs will not be the same than if you rendered a really complex scene at high setting and with many reflective and transparent materials. When I'm testing with Daz, I rarely hit 100% cuda use, and they are rarely used for more than 5 seconds. For a 4090 it would be around 20% cusa use for one second.

And it's where come the second point, Windows percent is the GPU global use, and the said GPU isn't limited to its cudas. There's also, among other things, a part dedicated to video encoding/decoding, that is totally useless when rendering. What mean that even if you were rendering something that put the cuda use at 100% for a whole minute, the GPU use wouldn't be at 100%.

If you want to have a better view of the use without using GPU-Z, just configure correctly the task manager. The four graph windows are configurable through the arrow on their top left. Put one to show you the cuda use, and you'll see if Daz Studio effectively use or not the full possibilities of your 4090.