A character preview of my upcoming project

Holloweenie

Aug 31, 2019
I want to show off what I've been working on recently for my project. It's unnamed at the moment but I have a few name ideas already. It's a sci-fi/paranormal point and click set in a light-hearted toony world. I had some ideas for this game for a while now and thought it would be a great cartoon game with how outrageous some of the things are, but since I can't draw well enough for it I thought I would try to push the boundries of what I could do 3d wise and try to make a stylized game through daz. This means a lot of custom content like environments and textures, characters, etc.

I've so far outlined "episode" and created the base morph for my female characters and just recently finished my first character "Ellie"

With this simplified toony approach it will also allow me to output a lot of art much quicker than using traditional daz assets. This will mean a good amount of content as well as leading me to be able to render out high frame rate animations at a decent pace
Ellie_1.png
Ellie_2.png

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
I've so far outlined "episode" and created the base morph for my female characters and just recently finished my first character "Ellie"
Very nice, and quite unique. Certainly stands out from the crowd.

With this simplified toony approach it will also allow me to output a lot of art much quicker than using traditional daz assets. This will mean a good amount of content as well as leading me to be able to render out high frame rate animations at a decent pace
Out of curiosity, it seems like one challenge is going to be getting the "toony look" to background sets, props, etc., since most of the assets "out there" are set up for maximum realism. Have you figured out how you're going to do that?

If you'd be willing to educate us, I'd love to know more about the approach you're using to make things "toony-looking."

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
Original & cute. I love it!
Not a huge of fan sci-fi/paranormal setup but I'll sure look at it.
Interessed too in your Daz workflow.

Holloweenie

Aug 31, 2019
Very nice, and quite unique. Certainly stands out from the crowd.

Out of curiosity, it seems like one challenge is going to be getting the "toony look" to background sets, props, etc., since most of the assets "out there" are set up for maximum realism. Have you figured out how you're going to do that?

If you'd be willing to educate us, I'd love to know more about the approach you're using to make things "toony-looking."
It's not too difficult to get the look I want with all the props. I start by building a scene normally then simplifying all the surfaces to just the base color then i'll see what I want to have a texture which is usually things like the floors, counter tops, certain furniture, etc. then when I get the surfaces how I like them then i'll export certain models in the scene that still looks off and import them into blender where i'll distort them a little bit to get more toon like proportions. then ill import them back into daz and copy over the surfaces from the old model. The models with textures will have stylized textures but nothing too crazy, just enough to keep it from looking realistic.

Here is a before and after of a couch model that I messed around with to make toony
couch_normal.png
couch_toon.png

Holloweenie

Aug 31, 2019
Original & cute. I love it!
Not a huge of fan sci-fi/paranormal setup but I'll sure look at it.
Interessed too in your Daz workflow.
The game is set in a modern day setting with some sci-fi elements like some advanced technology

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
It's not too difficult to get the look I want with all the props. I start by building a scene normally then simplifying all the surfaces to just the base color then i'll see what I want to have a texture which is usually things like the floors, counter tops, certain furniture, etc. then when I get the surfaces how I like them then i'll export certain models in the scene that still looks off and import them into blender where i'll distort them a little bit to get more toon like proportions. then ill import them back into daz and copy over the surfaces from the old model. The models with textures will have stylized textures but nothing too crazy, just enough to keep it from looking realistic.
Interesting. Thinking about it the "reduce to just the base color" makes a lot of sense - taking away bump maps and displacement maps will "smooth" the surfaces, and getting rid of other things like gloss maps would also result in a less realistic and more "toony" look. Thanks for sharing that! (And, of course, I get the whole "distort things slightly" bit.)