Ren'Py Daz A flower sprouts, help it grow! In need of Asset recommendations/necessities

-Narcissus-

Apr 14, 2020
Keeping this short, due to time constraints.

I seek the opinion of the gods i.e. (Established Devs)
I wish to begin walking the treacherous road of Renpy /Daz orientated VN development

And am wondering all the assets that go into such a game? e.g. Poses, Clothes, Gen8/3 M&F, Environments, iRay.... etc....
Basically what I'm asking, what is every required file necessary to begin development on a medium sized project.

I just think it's best to begin tutorials after I have everything needed in front of me.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks

N

P.S Apologies for the scattered-ness and clear lack of linear thought in my first thread.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
And am wondering all the assets that go into such a game? e.g. Poses, Clothes, Gen8/3 M&F, Environments, iRay.... etc....
Basically what I'm asking, what is every required file necessary to begin development on a medium sized project.
What kind of answer are you expecting exactly ?

Basically, what your doing is the same that asking something like, "I want to cook a meal, what ingredients do I need ?". The answer totally depend of what you want to do.
There's the mandatory parts, like meat and legumes, then some dessert, but it's all that can be said ; what meat, legumes and dessert vary depending of the meal you want to make. And it's exactly the same here.

You'll need some genitalia meshes. But there's many and will some prefer this one, others prefer that one, therefore there's no definitive answer even for that.
You'll also need some character figures, male and/or female, totally depend if you want a straight, gay or lesbian story.
You'll need poses and morphs, but not necessarily.
You'll need clothes, but what kind once again depend of your story. A medieval setting will not have the same clothes than a SF one.

And so on. You'll need all that will be needed for your project ; things that can possibly be needed only by your project.

But my guess is that first you need to familiarize with Daz and Ren'py. Just doing that should answer most of your questions. By example, if you're at ease with the Daz's posing system, you can perhaps found useless to rely on third party poses.

-Narcissus-

Apr 14, 2020
What kind of answer are you expecting exactly ?

Basically, what your doing is the same that asking something like, "I want to cook a meal, what ingredients do I need ?". The answer totally depend of what you want to do.
There's the mandatory parts, like meat and legumes, then some dessert, but it's all that can be said ; what meat, legumes and dessert vary depending of the meal you want to make. And it's exactly the same here.

You'll need some genitalia meshes. But there's many and will some prefer this one, others prefer that one, therefore there's no definitive answer even for that.
You'll also need some character figures, male and/or female, totally depend if you want a straight, gay or lesbian story.
You'll need poses and morphs, but not necessarily.
You'll need clothes, but what kind once again depend of your story. A medieval setting will not have the same clothes than a SF one.

And so on. You'll need all that will be needed for your project ; things that can possibly be needed only by your project.

But my guess is that first you need to familiarize with Daz and Ren'py. Just doing that should answer most of your questions. By example, if you're at ease with the Daz's posing system, you can perhaps found useless to rely on third party poses.
Thankyou, for the reply.

I've now downloaded a ludicrous amount of assets, for practically every conceivable element of the story I wish to portray.

However, before I begin the project I'll be spending a fair bit of time becoming accustomed to Daz as design has never been a skill I've spent the time to develop. I have a sufficient rig for renders, so I should be able to practice time efficiently.

I appreciate the response and apologise for the ambiguity in my initial question.

We'll just see how I go from here, then decide if this is for me or not.

The learning curve will be steep at first I imagine. If I'm easily dissuaded, then maybe my passion for writing simply doesn't align/mesh well with game development.

Take it easy bruv
-Narcissus

mickydoo

Fudged it again.
Game Developer
Jan 5, 2018
Thankyou, for the reply.

I've now downloaded a ludicrous amount of assets, for practically every conceivable element of the story I wish to portray.

However, before I begin the project I'll be spending a fair bit of time becoming accustomed to Daz as design has never been a skill I've spent the time to develop.
Delete all of them, learn DAZ and get the assets you need as you go, you will wind up with 3000 you will never use and can't find the 20 or 30 you want to use because of the other 2980 or so.

Reactions: anne O'nymous

anne O'nymous

Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
Delete all of them, learn DAZ and get the assets you need as you go,
Not necessarily in this order, using them to learn Daz through different assets doing the same can help to understand the diversity, and so make a better choice in the future.
But yes, it's too many.

mickydoo

Fudged it again.
Game Developer
Jan 5, 2018
Not necessarily in this order, using them to learn Daz through different assets doing the same can help to understand the diversity, and so make a better choice in the future.
But yes, it's too many.
I'm one of those ppl who's onlines life is very organized but who's real life is the opposite. I could just about tell exactly what is on my pc because I hate looking for things on it, but in real life I have shit everywhere because I sort of like looking for it (I must because I do it all the time.) I'm 50, I have more tools, odd and ends, plugs, chords, nuts and bolts than I'll probably ever need, I just don't know where they are :D

Reactions: Txclass

anne O'nymous

Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
I'm one of those ppl who's onlines life is very organized but who's real life is the opposite. I could just about tell exactly what is on my pc because I hate looking for things on it, but in real life I have shit everywhere because I sort of like looking for it (I must because I do it all the time.) I'm 50, I have more tools, odd and ends, plugs, chords, nuts and bolts than I'll probably ever need, I just don't know where they are :D
You aren't alone, at least on the second part. My son called me few days ago because he just had an old computer screen for free, and wanted to know if I hadn't a VGA/HDMI plug. It's almost if I don't answered by asking in what color he wanted it.
But I'm, alas and to my great regret, the same with my computer. If I downloaded it, I'll keep it, just in (the totally stupid) case I'll need it again in few years. What lead me to have near to 30To of storage capacity, and easily the two third effectively used :(

What in the end put me in a better place to confirm that, yes, a "ludicrous amount of assets" is way too many. Especially when you're starting, and so don't know much yet. It's not like learning to swim in the deepest part of the pool, but more like doing it on top of the Marianna trench.
There's too many and you'll not really know by what you should start your learning.

Reactions: mickydoo

TDoddery

Apr 28, 2020
OP reminds me of the saying that it's no use having all the gear but no idea.

So start with single character; play with shape; play with skin; add a clothing item and hair etc. one at a time.

I also have stored up a shit load of stuff IRL and on my hard/flash drives over decades. But for some reason I always seem to know where my stuff is IRL. It's finding it on memory devices that screws me :LOL: