default.persistent.ailein.fotos = 0
Or is it not necessary?

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

rayminator

Engaged Member
Respected User
Sep 26, 2018
gui is a another form of CSS from html/php it's for styling codes purpose use so it's not actually needed renpy only needs two files option.rpy and a your_name_script.rpy

but what are you trying to do?

79flavors

Respected User
Jun 14, 2018
If in screens.repy I put this code:

[...]
It is necessary to include in gui.rpy:

Or is it not necessary?

Thanks for your help.

TL;DR ... Use default persistent.ailein.fotos = 0 . Don't use define and don't use the init -1 python: code.

The longer version... Let's talk through each of these options...

Python:
init -1 python:
    if persistent.ailein_fotos is None:
        persistent.ailein_fotos = 0

During RenPy startup (init -1 python), the game will check if a persistent variable ailein_fotos currently has no type. That is, it's not a string, boolean, integer, float or any other type of variable. In effect, it's checking if the variable exists (which only possible this way, because it's persistent. and persistent variables return None if they don't exist).

If the game decides the persistent variable doesn't already exist, it sets the value to 0 (zero).

While the code will run ever time the game starts, the is None: will only be True the very first time, since it immediately changed to zero (an integer type).

I personally wouldn't put that code in either screens.rpy or gui.rpy, but since RenPy doesn't actually care what the files are called and treats all files (more or less) equally, I suppose it makes as much sense as anywhere else. Especially since it relates to the screen code for your foto gallery. (If I were to use this code, I would put it at the top of script.rpy. But only because that is the first script anyone ever looks at and most "first time" code happens there).

Python:
define persistent.ailein.fotos = 0

This would create a new variable/object called persistent.ailein.fotos. Or at least it normally would, however...

define statements not specifically included within another init: level will run at init 0:. Since python/RenPy process the init blocks in numerically order (from low to high... think -999 to +999), that means the -1 block (if persistent.[...]) will run before the 0 block (define [...]).

Because the variable already exists by the time the define is processed... it doesn't actually do anything.

Plus, as I've mentioned before in the other thread, define is supposed to only be used for variables/objects that will never change while the game is running. They are supposed to be fixed, unchanging values. (Not the case here).

For both these reasons, I don't think define should be used here.

Python:
default.persistent.ailein.fotos = 0

First things first, I think there's a typo in there. There shouldn't be a fullstop between default and persistent.ailein.fotos.

default too would create the variable. And like my explanation of the define code, would do nothing because the variable would already have been created during the init stages of the game startup.

default works in much the same way as your init -1 python: code. It will create a variable of that name, if one doesn't already exist.
Since it does exactly the same thing, you don't need both.

Personally, I would use the default persistent.ailein.fotos = 0 and not the init -1 python: code. Not least because it's considerably less complicated and quicker to type. And again, I would put it near the top of the script.rpy file.

Last edited:
Reactions: iOtero

iOtero

Aug 4, 2020
Thank you very much, as always, you solve things for me efficiently and, above all, educationally. :unsure:
Therefore, you are doubly useful to me. Thanks again for your help, amigo. (y)