Marvellous Lunatic

Game Developer
Mar 22, 2018
1637522726797.png

[Episode Canopus] Progress Update XIII

Greetings,
like every Sunday a quick progress update. This weekend the episode 'Canopus' got released. Currently I'm collecting issues with the update and will release a hotfix soon. Currently it's nothing really game-breaking for the PC version, but the mac version seems not to be working.

Next tasks
  • update unity version
  • fix PC version
  • think of a way to debug / test mac version
  • try to create a build for android
  • starting on sketching out next episode 'Deneb'
  • work out a pipeline for HQ character meshes between Daz3D and blender to be able to render with octane in blender

kwiatos

Oct 12, 2020
A very good game, keep it up!
PS. The navigation in this game is good, but many locations in this game are unnecessary and it is easy to get lost.

Reactions: b3488c87

Marvellous Lunatic

Game Developer
Mar 22, 2018
A very good game, keep it up!
PS. The navigation in this game is good, but many locations in this game are unnecessary and it is easy to get lost.
Thanks! I added and implemented the navigation mostly for act 2, where the free roam mode will get some more attention. I did it as preparation for later in the game and didn't wan't to hide it until it was really necessary. It was a lot of work and I spent quite some time on it. And I think it adds to the immersion of being on a big 'empty' space ship.
I'll add more details to distinguish similar locations more easy from another, but this will have to wait for I currently try to focus on the story of the first act.

Reactions: randi99 and kwiatos

visagedirect

Feb 21, 2020
I know there is a lot of fans, but for me the NAV is confusing / over complicated, i found the Cryo pods.. then after 20 mins of clicking elevators, trains, endless floors and rooms! hint was find Salena after 20 mins (I gave up) sorry its just not for me (i never even made its past the prologue (so to speak) LOL

Bellyme

Sep 15, 2019
I know there is a lot of fans, but for me the NAV is confusing / over complicated, i found the Cryo pods.. then after 20 mins of clicking elevators, trains, endless floors and rooms! hint was find Salena after 20 mins (I gave up) sorry its just not for me (i never even made its past the prologue (so to speak) LOL
Since you found the hint. There is a map also which would take you directly where you want, without going through every door/area

Last edited:

Hildegardt

Oct 18, 2017
Why didn't you just use the navigation system and go to the rooms directly?

Marvellous Lunatic

Game Developer
Mar 22, 2018
Sorry to hear about your problems, I attached a visual explaination in the spoiler below. I hope it will help you.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
In the future I'll add mini-quest icons to the map and quick navigation to have a better indication where to look for tasks.

When will the mom wake up?
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Last edited:

Marvellous Lunatic

Game Developer
Mar 22, 2018
will there be incest?
Yes, more or less optional.
The character configuration will allow you to setup the relation between characters and how the character relate to the mc or between each other.
The current default configuration is set up for incest. When I'll release act 2 somewhere in the future, the default configuration will change to a non-incest configuration in order to respect patreon rules.

However, the dialogue will and is written in a way to respect any relation setup , as far as possible, to make sense, in order to avoid cliches like roommate / step-sis / landlady.

Should the character configuration not be suited for a certain scenario / dialogue the language-file / translation handling is setup to address this issue in a very easy way.
Translation-files can overwrite other translation/language files, which means in case I really need to change at whole to make it work for incest, the language file needs to contain only this lines.

I'm pretty sure, should this happen, that templates will find it's way to this forum.

In other words, I planed ahead to make sure, or at least I'll try to make sure, that incest and non-incest will work.

Last edited:

Marvellous Lunatic

Game Developer
Mar 22, 2018
Hi,

the latest update contains a few bugfixes regarding translation-handling and djlaser was so kind to provide a russian translation.
If you want to use it, extract the zip in the following folder:

%userprofile%\appdata\locallow\Marvellous Lunatic\A Long Journey\userData

It adds the language option in the settings and adds a russian character configuration too.

Be aware you need build 0.3.2 to have it fully work.

gam2000

Apr 12, 2021
I'm going to try this. I enjoyed the "Passengers" movie and am holding the dev to no gringing. :)

kraoro

Jul 9, 2017
So, when does the "game" part of what is ostensibly meant to be a video game actually start? You described it as being like a "point and click adventure," but there's almost no pointing or clicking, and even less adventuring. What there is, though, is an absolute fuckload of reading and literally nothing else.

Marvellous Lunatic

Game Developer
Mar 22, 2018
So, when does the "game" part of what is ostensibly meant to be a video game actually start? You described it as being like a "point and click adventure," but there's almost no pointing or clicking, and even less adventuring. What there is, though, is an absolute fuckload of reading and literally nothing else.
The first part will be more like a kinetic / visual novel. In the second part / act (not developed yet) there will be more focus on free roaming events. However it will always be text / image based dialogues. I guess the description of point & click doesn't really fit. You are probably right and I should change the description of the game-play.
Sorry for the inconvenience.

gam2000

Apr 12, 2021
The hints said to find Selene and I did. I have spent the night with her, gone to the gym and classroom (many times) with her and the task list still doesn't have her checked off. (0.3.2)
Edit: You answered this in the other thread - didn't know there were two.
I love the game concept and the detail is beautiful. Thanks.

Last edited:

gam2000

Apr 12, 2021
I got thru the hacking mini-game - the print was hard to read being so small, but I got it.
Now in the Observatory.

Marvellous Lunatic

Game Developer
Mar 22, 2018

[Episode Deneb] Progress Update I

Greetings,
sorry, no image today, rendering hasn't started yet.
Anyway, with this post a new series of progress updates for the next episode is starting. Next episode will go by the name Deneb. Got a few points to tackle, so this might be a bit more text than usually.

1639332666103.png

[Episode Deneb] Progress Update II

Greetings,
I'll keep it a bit shorter this time. I've completed the writing of all dialogues and scenes for the next update. So the dialogues and written scenes are now up for review and will be edited by osanaiko. This usually will take some time as we take a few iterations over everything till everything is in place. However, since I've sketched all scenes I can start rendering the scenes that are necessary anyway and don't rely to much on changes in the dialogue.
The line count is already close to the one from the last episode. So I assume it will have a similar play time too, but that's not for certain. Usually the count will increase with the editing and when the scenes are finally scripted and filled with images.
With next week I'll start focusing on rendering again.

1639332769930.png

[Episode Deneb] Progress Update III

Greetings,
talk-topics today are episode content creation, environment modeling, 'paranoia' and next tasks.

Current status
~ 50 rendered and edited images
~ 5% scripting done

4.00 star(s) 46 Votes