• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

Unity - A Long Journey [v0.8.1] [Marvellous Lunatic]

1. 4.00 star(s)

PussyDelendaEst

Version: 0.5.5

Rating: 8/10

I have a bit of a love-hate relationship with this VN. It does a ton of things well and is visually stunning. The couple of problems I have however, drag the game down a lot. I think if I was being totally subjective I would rate it 7/10 but these are intentional choices by the developer so it is what it is.

Story takes place on a colonist space ship heading for new planet. MC wakes up early from cryo sleep and meets Selene, who also woke up from cryo early. As it goes on the mystery unravels and you learn more about the characters. It's a decent premise for sure. The characterization and relationship building with Selene is great and she's such a good/complex character although how the story reveals things does bother me.
    -
    I wish Selene's sister and the link with Johannes was revealed to us the player at a later time. I had a real problem making a connection with Selene until we got closer to the end. Until we know they have her sister, I didn't trust her obviously. Even though it's written really well and feels like a great natural romance between MC and Selene. I think it would have been better to learn about her involvement later, then we feel betrayed with the MC. Then you reveal her sister by way of the scenes with Selene and find out she is real.

There's very little in the way of player choice too. It's more of a kinetic novel which I know isn't preferable to most but once again, is the dev's choice. I would have even loved silly choices of things to do with Selene. Pick X food at canteen or Let Selene try your food (to reuse the render) just simple stuff like that to help bond with the characters.

We will have to see where the story goes before I can judge it properly but I do like the conflict with MC and Selene overall. There are "bad guys" revealed at some point and we will have to see what their true intentions are.

The music is atmospheric and pretty standard but nothing to complain about. Hopefully will be updated at a later date. A powerful vocal track in the pool scene with MC and Selene would have been great.

Renders are gorgeous and animations are very nearly top notch. The end animations with Pia... damn. The slight changes of facial expressions to convey emotion also need to be commended. I'd love inner dialogue for Selene.

Overall: It's actually a really fun VN for me. My earlier criticism regarding Selene however, did really pull me out of the story. I think the decision of how things are revealed tanks the ability to create a connection with the character (for me atleast). This picked up later on though as MC and Selene get closer and more mysteries are revealed to MC. I just hope it carries on positively and this isn't a theme going forward with how we the player, receive information about the plot. It can undermine a lot as we already know the information.

There's so much good here though that I recommend you try it despite my issues. Well crafted in so many aspects including Selene. She feels like such a real character and I look forward to how the romance with her will go on.
  2. 3.00 star(s)

Boogg

A great story that is ruined by poor game mechanics.

The premise of the story is really cool. Although I do not like the sheepish personality of the MC when dealing with the other primary character, they seem to compliment each other well. At this stage of the story (0.5.5) we find out more about what the other characters are up to. The story does seem to be moving towards more than the mundane slow burn it had been so far however. Yes, I said mundane. Although it is a great story it is moving terribly slow right now.

The game mechanics however are going to kill the story as a whole. The mini games are annoying and repetitive and the free roam is a real waste of time. They get in the way of the flow of the story and just annoy you. Another annoying aspect is the constant click click click you have to do to get through the day to day part of the story. Like the mini games, the constant clicking from picture to picture 5 or 6 time to get from place to place is repetitive and annoying.

Overall the story is great but it is held back in a big way by the poor mechanics. There are very few choices to be made so it is pretty much a "kinetic" novel or so it would lead you to believe, yet the mini games and free roam give you the feeling that you are in a sandbox game. The sad thing is that A Long Journey fails at both.

The story is great though and if your fingers do not go numb from the pointless clicking you might enjoy it. Let's hope that as the game progresses that it figures out what it wants to be. A slow burn kinetic novel or a very slow sandbox game with puzzle elements.
  3. 5.00 star(s)

rorodrigro

play v0.5.5 with french trad (which explains my poor written English, sorry)

story: 5/5 Can't wait for more, there's some length but the story is so good it really doesn't matter

characters: 4/5 For the moment the story does not want there to be many, but many are to be expected I can't wait to see if they will be as successful as the current ones

sex scene: 5/5 The game is not stingy, and they are very well brought into the story, while being very erotic!

renders: 5/5 The game is absolutely beautiful, be it the space, the characters and their bodies, the environments.

animation: 5/5 They are perfectly successful and in good quantity! the loops are almost always perfect, and the fluidity has no defect whatever the speed you put (because yes the speed is adjustable)

sound: There are some all along and it is very good, there are even some erotic sound effects

gameplay: 3/5 Not much choice and for the moment, we are bored in the "free time"
  4. 2.00 star(s)

B201T

I tried v 0.5.4

Neat concept, but the prologue was too linear + long, and I lost interest. I might give it another shot sometime, and it might be worth your time if you have more patience. Just, beware that it'll be a while before you can actually do anything.
  5. 4.00 star(s)

Geralt_R

A Long Journey is, as others have already mentioned, basically an adaptation of the movie Passengers with Chris Pratt and Jennifer Lawrence with an added twist.

This means: the game has the exact same premise, it even shares a few story beats, it has very similar locations, but a few details differ and there's an added plot which gives the entire story a certain twist the movie Passengers is missing.

So what you get is basically this: MC wakes up in his cryopod on board a colony ship en route to a new planet decades before the ship arrives. It's revealed that someone meddled with his pod, and as it turns out the MC meets this someone, a beautiful redhead called Selene, shortly after he wakes up.
    The game is missing the existential crisis element of Passengers, where Chris Pratt wakes up first and is close to suicide after a long time of utter loneliness, here the MC and Selene meet on the first day.
    Selene is at first quite abrasive, and chances are you may not like her too much at first. But over the course of the game both the MC and you, the player, will grow closer to her.

Much of the early story is the same as in Passengers, only with reversed roles. The female love interest woke up the MC for an unknown reason (eventually revealed), both then try to gain access to various parts of the ship. Both grow closer. Both go to a club, both go the observation deck, eventually they also unlock a pool, all of these sets are also found in the movie and the overall dyamic is very much the same here.

However, very early you learn that three other people are also awake, but they are in hiding and Selene has to report to them. So this is where A Long Journey deviates from Passengers. It has many similarities, but it's not a carbon copy.

This central mystery is pretty good. It will keep you guessing and when things are eventually revealed you are still not certain you know the full picture.

A Long Journey has, so far, one love interest. Selene. So you need to like her. As I said before she is at first a bit abrasive and chances are you may not like her too much early on. But things improve significantly and I think Selene is a compelling love interest with an interesting backstory. Her motivations for waking up the MC are also revealed, and chances are you will understand why she did it and sympathize with her.

So the story, while not entirely original, is certainly pretty good, yes, early on you will have many deja vus if you know Passengers, but as things progress the story deviates more and more from the movie.

The renders in this game are pretty good, characters look natural, Selene is really pretty, she also has a rather large chest, but it's not too much here, she still has natural proportions and she looks like an actual human.
    The MC also looks alright, so yes, this game uses a third person view, which helps immensely with the composition of the renders. If you prefer POV, then you are out of luck. You see the MC all the time, also in the various sex scenes.

The game has really good animations, there is a longer opening cutscene, fully animated and then there are of course several animated sex scenes.

Which leads us to the erotic aspect of this VN.
    This game features two different varieties of scenes: flashback/dream sex and then sex in the present timeline. I am no big fan of flashback / dream sex, and sadly this game is no exception. The flashbacks are about the MC's ex girlfriend he left behind on Earth. They are really well done, nothing to complain here from a technical level, but in my opinion these flashbacks add nothing to the story, nothing to the character and have zero impact on the present timeline. They are filler.
    The dream sex scene is also a bit silly, the MC wants to let off some steam because Selene got him too excited. But at least that is kind of understandable.

And that brings us to Selene. A Long Journey accomplishes something few other VNs do: it gives you a long, emotionally rewarding and erotic sex scene with Selene after some build-up and erotic tension, but without making use of the silly progression route you find elsewhere, so no tedious and repetitive handjobs, blowjobs, fingering here.
    The MC will admire Selene's body, he will sometimes peep on her, he will stare at her ass, sometimes Selene looks at the MC's boner in the morning - but things are not delayed here.
    Eventually lust, desire and love overwhelm both Selene and the MC and this results in the sex scene.
    The scene is pretty long, it features quite extensive foreplay, kissing, caresses and begins in the pool area, only to switch to the living quarters. I have rarely seen a better written and better made erotic scene in a VN. This is top level.
    This scene is as much about the emotional aspect of it all as it is about the desire and lust. You will be hard pressed to find a better scene in any game.

That fantastic scene with Selene alone is worth playing the game... but it's unfortunate that the flashback and fantasy sex feel hollow in comparison, to me it's apparent these scenes exist for mere titillation, to keep impatient people happy.
    I wish the resources spent on flashback sex would have been spent on more story and renders instead. The thing is, these scenes add nothing to the story or the characters.
    Everything you need to know about the MC and his ex-girlfriend is conveyed through dialogue with Selene, the two talk at length about their past lives on Earth. So there's no actual need to show flashbacks of how the MC and his ex-girlfriend had fun. It tells us nothing new. Especially one scene close to the end of the current update is sheer endless. Yes, it looks great, but by then we have reached a point in the story where it would be nice to continue the story, and to have more interactions with Selene, instead the MC mopes and thinks back to his life on Earth with his ex-girlfriend, something that was talked about in detail before, so we learn nothing new here... and the scene goes on and on and on, SO many resources were spent on creating all the animations here, which all look great, but I feel it's wasted on something we don't need to see.

I do understand why games do that, many don't have the patience to wait just for one sex scene (Selene only has one scene yet). But I feel many times the game and story would benefit from a clearer focus on the things that matter: and here it's Selene. And no one else.

Now as mentioned the flashback and fantasy scene are also really well done, animations are great, only the ex-girlfriend looks weird with visible veins and some weird red markings around her eyes, I don't know what the deal is, she looks really sick. But it's never even talked about why she does look so sick.

Chances are though you will like the flashbacks. Unless you are like me who thinks no sex is better than pointless sex with characters you don't care about. Here in this game I - so far - only care about Selene, no one else. I don't want flashback or fantasy scenes with other women.

What else... the game has music, much of it is good, it's a synth-heavy soundtrack, fitting the theme. Only some tracks are a bit too distracting, especially when you have to read lots of text.

And not all things in this game are perfect.

First: it's not really a game, it's mostly a kinetic novel, you can make very, very few decisions here and often you have zero options. You have no say in the romance path, things happen and you need to like it. Of course chances are high you will like it, but you have no impact on how things progress.
    For example various times throughout the story the MC thinks about putting his arm around Selene in bed (they share a bunk, no other bunk is available), maybe you'd like it that the MC goes for it... and puts his arm around her, spooning her, but you cannot influence anything here. You have no say over how the romance progresses and technically speaking the sex with Selene is not even avoidable. Not that anyone would probably ever want to avoid it... but this is just symptomatic of the game as a whole.
    You do get the occasional option to peep or not to peep,. that's basically it.

Also, later in the game, after some dramatic turn of events, the MC reacts in one way and one way only... even if you may want him to react differently. The game wants the MC to be suspicious, angry and disappointed, and while all of that is understandable he also eventually comes across like some "houlier than thou" asshole who cannot understand that Selene did certain things because she had no choice, he simply refuses to believe her.
    It would have been nice to have options here... for a more confrontational or more understanding approach. Especially since you, the player, knows that Selene is telling the truth.

Another thing I didn't like too much is that the MC pervs on Selene whether you like or not. Now it's not that I can't understand it. Selene is of course very attractive, few people would not look at her curves, but still, it would have been nice to have a say in that, as in, when or where to have these thoughts. You only get to choose a peeping option twice or so. It's nothing major, and the MC is mostly having perfectly normal thoughts anyone would have in this situation. But it's always nice to have a say in certain things.

Another thing I didn't care too much for is that the game dragged on for a bit around the middle part, when the MC and Selene try to gain access to various parts of the ship. The programming/hacking scenes are very tedious and they repeat for several days.
    There's also a hacking minigame, if you know the hacking sections in Mass Effect, where you need to find code snippets, then you know exactly what you get here. I had no problem with that section, but you may find it a bit tedious. But you can try again if you fail and finding the code snippets is pretty easy.
    Renders are also frequently reused throughout the game, since several activities, especially mentioned programming, are quite repetitive to begin with.
    I think the entire segment dedicated to hacking/programming could have been condensed. In these situations things can feel a bit boring. But fortunately things pick up speed once the programming part is over.

The game also has a few free roam sections. These are just plain terrible and add nothing to the game. You always need to go to one and one location only, yet you need to navigate the ship (you can also directly access a room/section fortunately). The game even gives you a hint where to go. And actually roaming about yields no results, there's nothing to discover.
    The free roam, while you are in the story, has zero functionality. The ship is empty. There's nothing. Once the game ends you can free roam the ship to discover some secrets, but in my opinion the free roam should be entirely removed from the story part of the game. Just have the MC go where he needs to go, since in free roam you do the exact same thing, only with lots more mouse clicks.
    Also, each section of the ship basically looks the same, so it's not even visually appealing, Exceptions are the observation deck, pool, bar and gym. But you can't do anything there (other than looking for secrets once the story ends).

So, who will enjoy A Long Journey? If you are ok with kinetic novels or VNs that give you VERY little choice, if you like the movie Passengers and the setting of prematurely awakened people on a colony ship between the stars, if you are ok with a game that has (as of now) one love interest only, then A Long Journey is one of the very best story driven SciFi romance games. Selene's path, while a bit rocky in the beginning, results in one of THE very best erotic and emotionally rewarding scenes of any game ever. I cannot emphasize it enough. The animations are one thing, they are great, but the emotional impact is another and here you can actually feel what the characters are feeling, and it's not just about sex.
    Also, the focus on one love interest means that Selene is a pretty fleshed out and threedimensional character, something you rarely get in other games with five or ten love interests. Selene has her own motivations, hopes and fears and she's also pretty complex with a few faults, she's not perfect by any means, which further humanizes her.
    The MC is also not perfect, but he tries his best, given the situation, and he has morals, he may perv on Selene a bit, but again, it's understandable and it never devolves into creepy molestation stuff, it's just stealing a few looks at Selene's naked body mostly.
    Also, it's refreshing that a game doesn't make use of tropes found in so many other VNs, there is no "I am not ready yet" BS here, no handjob, blowjob, 69, etc progression route either.
    There's some natural build-up, looks, thoughts... some more tender moments on the observation deck when Selene leans her head on the MC's shoulder... then a kiss... and then when the MC and Selene kiss again after that, things escalate all the way. In other words, the MC and Selene behave like actual human beings who find each other attractive. And as mentioned it results in one of the most rewarding scenes of any VN I have played.

And who will not enjoy A Long Journey?
    If you don't like the lack of choices here, if you don't like the Passengers setting of people on a colony ship in space, if one love interest is not enough for you (especially if you don't like Selene, she has her own agenda, she is abrasive at first, things are complicated with her once the truth is revealed), then chances are you may have a hard time enjoying this.

But everyone else... people who enjoy story driven romances with just a single romance option... look no further, despite some parts around the middle of the current build, when all you do is programming / hacking, which can drag on a bit, A Long Journey is a very captivating and emotionally rewarding experience with complex characters that actually behave more or less like normal humans would do.
    No silly antics here, no implausible situations and while I talked about the lack of choices here I would say that for the most part the writer has written both the MC and Selene in a way that you can understand and support their decisions, meaning, there are few times you would want to do things differently.

This game gives many other story driven VNs a run for their money, it's a pity it's not more popular, this game deserves a LOT of attention.

The only things keeping it from a perfect score are some more or less useless flashback sex scenes and the free roam sections, and sure, the story doesn't win any originality prizes since it borrows so generously from a Hollywood movie. But at least Passengers was used to turn it into a really good VN, and again, it has a twist not found in the movie.

So go ahead, download the game and give it a try! I think almost everyone who enjoys story driven romance games will love it.
  6. 5.00 star(s)

Éama

The VN is so much better than I originally thought. Really great renders (with great details and facial expressions, unique environment, etc), atmospheric music, good suspense with lots of mystery, a very mature approach to intimacy and sexuality. The reviews are already very good, but so far I would definitely rank it among the best VNs on this site. The cast is very small overall, which always has a potential to get boring, but the mystery and an evolving relationship between the protagonists keeps me hooked. The developer definitely deserves more support for this project.
  7. 5.00 star(s)

JB08

Very unique despite the initial premise being a copy of a certain movie lol. That said, its a new twist and the plot is far more interesting. he girls (so far that we have seen) are great. The scenes are pretty, the lighting is on point, the spelling is fine. Everything is just solid. Looking forward to the future.
  8. 5.00 star(s)

AnubisMRM

I really liked playing this game (v0.5.4).

Pros:
    * graphics
    * story
    * enough sexy content for now

Cons:
    * navigation in free roam is not very intuitive (at least there's a map button in the Esc menu)
    * a bit too much dialogue for my taste
    * only one romance-able character at the moment
    * the attributes system is not ready yet

Overall, I can't wait to see how the game will progress.
  9. 5.00 star(s)

RobertRick

This is very good. Quite slow in the beginning and I almost gave up on confused puberty talk and the almost endless dialogues. But then it took off in a serious way. I am now (v0.5.4) looking very much forward to the next update.
  10. 5.00 star(s)

乃คяdaK

I personally love sandbox games :) and this is a good compromise between VN and Sandbox.
    Graphics: Nothing to say, Rendering done really well! you can even see the skin pigments... and the video animations done just as well.

Game Mechanics: It may seem daunting at first, but just investigate a little bit and it becomes clearer. (I would perhaps improve the travel system) but effectively if simplified it would no longer give the sense of grandeur of a spaceship.

Story: I like it is intriguing and full of anticipation and twists and turns. Let's just say it's not your typical game all sex and predictable, distorted plot. If you are looking for a quickie it is not for you.

Good Job ! (I will consider for the next update a translation with handmade corrections)

Translated with Deepl
  11. 5.00 star(s)

habeo06

Game review ver.0.4.4 (no spoiler)
    Tl:dr: Top 3 best graphic and animation quality I seen. Terrible UI and navigation. The story start out very slow but by the near end of the version, it start to speed up. Hopefully the creator can keep up.
    What this game do best, it is top notch but everything else is mediocre even terrible.
    The best: the models and animations are one of the best out there. There is still only few sex scenes and available but they are all high quality. Really looking forward to see other characters introduced. If you coming for a wank, then it is best time.
    The so-so: The story starts out slow. The progression is slow down further by clunky navigation , minigames and a a lot of fillers. The creators intend to build up the characters but sometimes it is to much redundant. Hopefully, the story can push up pace in the next update.
    The worst: The UI and navigation is a nightmare. The navigation and copypaste content makes it mindboggling to go anywhere in the free-roam mode. The best solution is there should be a revamp of the navigation tab so it should highlight where to go, more indication of location (bigger signs, some unique objects if there still copypaste background).
    The game is still in early stage but it has a lot of potential (and a lot things to improve) but I look forward what the next update coming up with.
  12. 5.00 star(s)

DABOMB00

This looks like a really nice game. First of all the looks and animations are top notch and compare to the best ive seen so far. The girls look really beautiful even tho you only really had contach with one girl so far.
    Gameplay wise i generally dont like sandbox games, because i always have the feeling that i missed something and i hate that. So far tho the Sandbox aspect was really chill and didnt interfere with the gameplay experience even tho we will have to wait and see how that plays out as the story pogresses. I really hope that it wont become some onboxious sandbox game where you always have to choose how to spend the time you have throughout the game.

Regarding the story tho this game is really great. I love how it unveils further and further, giving you more and more information over time. I also really like how your relationship progresses with the girl you get to meet so far and how you can really empathise with her. You dont know her true goal yet but you can feel her being torn back and forth but you still develop a relationship because of the time you get to spend together.
    I really hope we get some more choices to make to really have an impact of the story and the player having impact is not solved just through "You get to choose how you spend your time"
    So far i really loved playing this tho and im excited to see how this will turn out
  13. 3.00 star(s)

Gorse

[A Long Journey - v0.4.4]

! Review may contain spoilers !

A sci-fi romance story with very strong initial references to the 2016 movie „Passengers“, enhanced with a few porn scenes and kind of a „hostage (?!) mystery“ subplot.

It starts off exciting with a stunning, stellar intro animation. The very well adapted setting of the movies spaceship on top of that proofs the sheer talent and great skills of the developer, consolidated by good looking, well concepted UI elements and the solid free roam mechanisms later on.

The majority of the background renders is also quite impressive as these add a lot to the atmosphere of the overall setting and locations. Although not really original or unique due to the similarities to the movie, the immense effort put into all this "basic setup" is apparent and deserves high praise.
    The writing is quite capable, particularly when providing character backgrounds and deeper characterisations.
    Secluded from everything else this "setup" would easily match with the 5 star rating... :love:

BUT... there is of course more than this „basis setup“. And that's where the weaknesses -in my opinion- unfortunately begin to decrease the potential top rating drastically:

First of all, I'm usually no fan of kinetic novels – and this is one.
    So you have no choices at all, no options to influence the plots direction, the relationships or anything at all. For me that's absolutely the opposite of immersive and interactive.
    Wouldn't be that much of an issue if the plot and its characters were extraordinary interesting and matched with your own likings. A huge annoying issue if not!
    Everything can easily feel forced and you can't opt out or change it to your liking due to the complete lack of influence at all. Exactly that is unfortunately the case for me in this novel.

Secondly, redheads generally aren't mostly that attractive to me.
    And – again unfortunately - so far the !only! female LI in this story is... yep, a redhead. :oops:
    Not really a beauty or overly attractive girl – no: quite the ordinary, but busty type of girl. With some very unfeminine facial expressions and mimics at times that could easily be masculine. According to: „Grow a beard, loose your tits... and you'll transform into a guy.“
    Just to top it all off, she's an unappealingly moody character, often crabby and short-tempered (up to needlessly slapping MC in the face right at their first encounter!). To be fair: she seems to better herself with time, but even her (and her sister's) later unfolding somewhat plausible background story of having been a hardship case does not fully legitimate her occacional misbehavior and harshness. Tough right from the first meeting I only could dislike and distrust her heavily, not really being able to grow on her.
    Therefore having to „play“ as the MC – who is much too forgiving and almost submissive in the forced friendly contact to her – and having to endure that the MC more and more falls for her is almost unbearable enough. But being forced to adore her, ogling her „gorgeous beauty“ up to getting totally aroused by her phenomenal figure & peachy ass is just too much! :(

Extra unbearable cause the whole plot is constantly centered around having to cooperate with this girl to work on a solution for the ostensibly shared predicament.
    And this plot is soooo tedious and plain boring cause you have to click yourself through a daily work routine.
    Yes, "work routine" literally: Every. Single Day. :rolleyes:
    With all the same transition renders in between – and there are plenty of them - that massively slow down the already leisurely pace without any additional benefit.
    The many detailed „tech/programming“ dialogues in addition might only interest those who are into these matters. The lack of at least some action in the whole plot so far doesn't lessen the feeling of a treadmill's equivalent.
    The sparely provided free roam and the simple minigames aren't really attention or interaction getters. These could have been at least somewhat exciting and engaging.

Apropos not engaging: the rare sex scenes so far ... should have been better cut out or made optional. :unsure:
    Indeed, I'm surprised about that statement myself cause usually I would never refuse to watch any lewd scene in a „game“. But here I am serious. No joke at all!
    The two sex scenes I had to „enjoy“ are not only very much detached from the main plot, they even are a huge turn-off for me. One being a daydream of the MC fucking his super ugly ex-girlfriend (whose undead-looking skin gave me the creeps), the second being a recorded video of an extended „JOI“ solo scene of a stranger milf whose weird mimics, glued vagina juices and watersport action were more a real boner killer for me than anything else in this „game“.
    Almost disgusting to some extent... :sick:
    Sorry, but scenes like these – nonsensical or not – should be made at least optional or skippable! The first should be cut out!

Additionally to these, the lovely and only LI unzips and touches the MC's dick while he's sleeping without his consent and awareness. And the MC: without any choice you have him actively peeking at the redheads naked body in the gym shower.
    Sorry again, but wtf!?! :mad: Cringy!

I really had a hard time clicking myself through a massive wall of text, transitions and endless, yet well-written, dialogues and inner monologues for hours without the right deeper immersion and growing interest in the plot. Without enough identification with the two main characters that are „plotted“ here to love each other eventually. And my personal lack of attraction to the currently only female LI. Solely the mentioned „hostage mystery“ subplot had my attention, nothing else left behind.

So summed up, the „basic setup“ being AWESOME and the unfortunate rest being AWFUL for me, I can give this „game“ only 2.5 stars.
    Due to fact that the dev have been very supportive, is apparently very talented & many of my negatives are out of subjective perception, I add 0.5 stars.
    Plus the recommendation to experience this „game“ for yourself.
    It was not for me, but maybe it's to your liking nevertheless.
  14. 5.00 star(s)

malvic

Key points: Renders are great, writing is slow(but actually good), characters are interesting and feel quite real. These three details are more than nearly every game you'll find on this site. It's good.
    I have played the game on version 0.4.4 so I can't say what the release schedule is like or what has come before or after this update yet, but I finished everything and the feeling I was left with was "I want more".

Other positive that doesn't matter for as many people as a lot of people probably mute their game and just listen to music, but this game has music and while I'm not sure if it's royalty free music or actually made for the game, it all fits and it doesn't make me cringe so another point in favor of this game compared to so many others.

I like writing that takes its time but I can certainly see some people finding the writing too slow. Also as of 0.4.4 the game almost entirely follows a single relationship between two characters. There is clearly a ton to indicate the cast expanding in the future, but it has yet to do so. I really enjoy the relationship that is currently present but the lack of variety for now should be noted.
  15. 5.00 star(s)

Vasin

This is a must play for anyone who likes hard science fiction, believable characters, amazing renders and coherent plotlines.

I cannot overstate how great the screens are in this game, there are probably dozens of frames that you could probably print out and post on the wall as artwork. Even soundtrack, though repetitive is not grating and adds to the atmosphere rather well. Production value of this game is definitely 10/10.

Just play it already.
  16. 5.00 star(s)

jufot

[v0.4.4] This is some seriously amazing stuff! It's already an improvement over its inspiration in my book. The relationship between MC and Selene grows so beautifully and organically, from cautious distrust to something much more intimate. Behind the love story, there is a brooding mystery about some shady guys who are holding Selene's little sister hostage and forcing Selene to assist MC into unlocking the colony ship's systems. To what end, we don't know yet, but judging from everything so far, I'm pretty sure it's going to be great :)
  17. 5.00 star(s)

jorpy

As of 4.4, I can say this: erotic but not (yet?) intensely sexual; the story is slow, but engaging; and the female lead is gorgeous. While seemingly rather early on in development, what's here so far is solid and I'm honestly surprised there are so few reviews.

If you're not just looking to honk your goose, give this a try.
  18. 3.00 star(s)

liuzhaoqi

Version: 0.4.3

As of now, the rendering (+2) is the only saving grace of this game.

The game has A LOT of driest dialogue (-1) between erotic content, it can make the most horniness boy on viagra lose his boner.
    You can tell the developer want to take those dialogue serious, trying to make it feel real and rich. But in doing so, forgot what make a story exciting.
    I know developer want player to get to know the characters, but it endup feel like a family therapy session rather than compelling storytelling.

Also, the screenplays are too simple and weak(-1).
    The game start with very little setup, the overview on the thread does more introduction than the game.
    After a short cutscene, player immediately been throw into the world, no introduce of the MC, no explaining of the situation, and MC just start to acting out, it feel like you just turn on the tv and caught a mid season finale of some long running tv show airing, its very dramatic, but you have never seen one episode of that show.
    Now, you can identify those character’s emotions, because you're a normal human being, you can sympathies, but at the same time you're very “out of it”, because you don't have any connection with them, thoughts and prayer is the most you can do.
    Furthermore, at the start MC acting like a whining bitch, is kinda annoying, I want to slap him long before someone in the game does it.
    Put it simply, bad first impressions or weak protagonist make people harder to connect with the story.
    If you don't have a strong introduction scene or initial plot, you need a strong character or atleast a interesting one to lead. And a strong/interesting character characteristics are best shown by action not by words.

Other than weak writing, the camera language or the direction are also very simplistic(-0.4). It's always two shot back and forth.
    Now, I know good rendering are very expensive, you want put your money where your mouth is, this strategy works for a lot of low bugget VN games, but in this game, where there are loads of conversations, is make those scene very dull and boring.
    Basically, I'm saying you can use some closeups or cutaways, maybe some B-roll footage to spice things up a little bit.
    It's not a big deal if you have some hot action waiting for you, but as of now, there not much arousing behind those Sahara desert of conversations.

I feel a lot of conversations can be chop up into gameplay, let player pick the topic up during gameplay section, let the plot concentrate on more "action" oriented stuff. Give the player the agency to dictate the pacing.

So... TLDR
    I played this game for an hour, my boner is gone, and I have nothing to do but to vent those frustrations.

Game has potentials: 2.6/5

PS: Pia in some scenes look like a zombie. Kinda a boner killer.
  19. 5.00 star(s)

anon280

Version: 0.5.4

Story driven VN heavily styled in a realistic plot. A lot of story content (perhaps 1-2hr) with some great but few erotic moments.

STORY
    • The writing seeks to tell a proper narrative and not use gimmicks to show sex scenes. The root of the writing puts into perspective the "human-ness" of it all as they propel in space.
    • There's a lot of dialogue which focuses on developing the characters and other subtle beats that engage what is unfolding in the spaceship. If you read it sincerely there is a great story being told. Once deep in the progression, I had moments where I genuinely smiled, like when Selene (red head freckles chick) first rests her head on MC's shoulder in the observatory room, I felt that, after seeing her gradually soften up - when a girl does that you know they are comfortable and want comfort
    • Characters' personalities and ideologies are justified as we get to know them which I consider a strong point in writing to do it so naturally and without necessarily any contradictions. Along with that, there are thought out discourses between the characters that are relevant and real to modern humanity.
    VISUAL DESIGN
    • The rendering is on the top list of what's out there imo specifically lighting and models' anatomy. My review won't do it justice as I'm trying to be as concise as possible.
    • There's so much skin detailing done... from: veins, bodily hair, pores, wrinkles, moles, freckles, the patchiness and tone variation of skin, markings and blemishes, and wet surfaces. Body parts hold to realism as well; like the dick is not "humongously" disproportionate.
    • The female models' bodies are beautifully constructed. The girls so far:
      • The only girl we get the most of for this version is the red head with freckles, Selene. Who I would say is not insanely gorgeous which I consider a good thing towards the realism but she definitely has her glow-ups time to time. I like the slim thick build you went for - very beautiful body especially her torso (ribs and navel). And originally, her cheek and nose freckles didn't go with her complexion but I see it was adjusted to match the forehead and neck freckles later on.
      • Pia, the bob cut thicc ex gf, we don't see much of but what we do see is pretty good stuff. Personally I find her the most gorgeous character so far (which there aren't many available right now). My criticism would be that her veins are too visible especially since she isn't pale (but maybe she has a condition or some sci-fi related shit).
    • Considering the realism the game draws on, I find it mildly disappointing that the women are wearing make-up in a setting where they are either alone on a spaceship or in cryosleep.
    • The map environments all look too similar so navigating it gets confusing without the Map - there's nothing to explore right now though (except some hidden unlockable pinups).
    • Animation is fluid (except for some minor glitches where body part moves too fast (twitches) in the older game builds) and has adjustable realistic speed. By far some of the best animationyou will encounter in a VN
      • The only issue is in some animations the camera moves with the characters fucking which is distracting
    INTERFACE & GAMEPLAY
    • Simple and sleek UI with no lag.
    • Manual vertical image scroll is neat.
    • Character info customisation (changing names, relations, how other characters call each other etc) is great for personalising how you want to play the story.
    • The sandbox mode intervals are useless right now since the game is only 3 Episodes in that areheavily focused on the characters' predicament and not about exploring.
      • There are zero story choices to make but the VN plays well as a kinetic one.
    • There's a player menu of a bunch of cool features that don't get utilised much right now such as Character Profiles, Attributes, and Relationships. It's so useless that stats are null despite story progression.
      • This all seems like the dev having a desire or sum idea of making the VN have some more gameplay aspects but inadvertently telling a composed story instead thus making the game mechanics irrelevant... until it makes a shift which could make or break the game experience.
    • Minigames are a good balance between fun and mildly challenging
    SOUND
    • Only music - composed of a minimalist style which fits the setting. However, the music doesn't always match the mood of the scenes [v0.5.4 did make some adjustments in this but newer scenes now suffer with the same issue].
    • No sound effects and ambience - if implemented; would help lend itself to the realism of the game - specifically sex sounds would really liven up those scenes.
    EROTIC CONTENT
    • A majority of the content will come in the form of MC ogling Selene's ass and sometimes tits and his memories with his ex-gf.
    • Other than that, sexual scenes come in increments where relevant to the plot and story which are usually very immersive and romantic but lacks sound and that pizazz called character.
    • [v0.5.4 OBSERVATION]: the longer and more drawn out the sex scene the better
    --
    You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Overall the VN is great for a mature story with erotic moments where it would make sense. The story is coming along well.
  20. 5.00 star(s)

Scarlett's nightmare

(Reviewed at 0.4.2)

So, this is not a good game... by the standard of porn games here.

Yes, there is sex scenes but they are rare so far and not really at center stage. Instead this is a very story focused game. It'd be just as good without them. And boy... it is an original and well written story.

Some of the criticism is very valid. There is a lot of introspection and the day to day events are repetitive and longer and more detailed than they (seem to) need to be. Having said that, "A long journey" is a show piece of how good writing can carry a game. While it is true that the pace is slow and exposition could be tightened significantly, I love it the way it is. The interaction feel natural and real. I am invested in the characters and their thoughts.

This is a remarkably well made game. It is obvious a lot of thought has been put into it. Go play it (and support it if you can) for that. It's not just another college-step-bro-harem incel fever dream. I am very thankful for that.

Edit: Oh and minigames are fine. They are well integrated, short and easy to solve. No need for pearl clutching over it.