A noob question regardiong DAZ, Unity, and etc...

May 9, 2017
Hello All,

I find myself enjoying some adult novels and games due to excellent narrative and stunning pictures. My understanding of rendering and animation is zero.

Here are my noob questions:

0. Is there a rendering 101 site?
1. Is there a DAZ 101 site? I thought of trying to create some animations and rendering and maybe an adult novel. I have some nice narratives in my mind. I will do that on my spare time due to RL obligations (Wife, Family, Work, etc..).
2. is there a Unity 101 site?

I'm sorry for being so noob. Actually, I want to take a dip into adults novels and games. I've no intention to be the next star as there are some amazing works that I consider as true artists.

Many Thanks!

J.S

P.S. Admin, if I've made a mistake, please post it in the relevant forum. Sorry for any inconvenience that I many have caused.

Domiek

In a Scent
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 19, 2018
0. Is there a rendering 101 site?
There are hundreds if not thousands of courses, both free and paid, on any of the various 3D software packages.

1. Is there a DAZ 101 site? I thought of trying to create some animations and rendering and maybe an adult novel. I have some nice narratives in my mind. I will do that on my spare time due to RL obligations (Wife, Family, Work, etc..).

Youtube will be your best friend here. Just a heads up. Daz is pretty amazing and relatively easy when it comes to making still images, lots of premade assets you can buy and also get for free. Its animation tools are pretty primitive when compared to other 3D software. Something like comparing MS Paint to Photoshop. Technically you can accomplish anything you want, but it will take a lot more work and frustration.

2. is there a Unity 101 site?
Likely tons of courses available since Unity is extremely popular.

The pinned Bloo Guide is a good place to start https://f95zone.to/threads/the-bloo-guide-2020-02-07.1636/

Fliptoynk

Nov 9, 2018
unity and daz aren't for free so I would look for free alternatives if I were you in the meantime.

would you like to consider godot? it has many tutorials out there. as for assets, try to learn using makehuman. it's also free and already have 3d human model for you to edit.

Fliptoynk

Nov 9, 2018
then I guess it would be unity then since it's been around longer than godot though I dunno which is better.

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
then I guess it would be unity then since it's been around longer than godot though I dunno which is better.
If you're wanting to make a VN, just starting out, and you're not a programmer, the answer is most definitely RenPy. It's just a lot easier to get stuff started, and there's a really good implementation of a bunch of common features (savegames, UI, etc) that will take you a lot of time and effort to replicate in Unity.

Fliptoynk

Nov 9, 2018
well... if I'm gonna make a vn, I'd go for html+js(+ webgl) as not only it does well for this kind of game, I can also take on a career as a web developer.

Penfold Mole

Engaged Member
Respected User
May 22, 2017
Ren'Py is definitely the best for a beginner to start with, especially when you know very little or nothing about any of the programming languages.
The most important thing about it is that you don't have to waste any time figuring out how to create a GUI and controls for your game, how to manage configuration and game saves. The plain default looks of the GUI can be changed any time later if you wish, after you have figured out the basics.
So you can pretty much right away start with writing the game script, see how it works.

Ren'Py scripting language is based on Python and is very simple, especially for starting with a VN type of game. You should start with a VN anyway, doesn't matter which engine or language you choose.
Python itself is also always available just by starting a new block with the python: statement.

Ren'Py is also very well documented:
You can start with the Getting Started - Quickstart chapter to get started with your first working Ren'Py game right away, with a working bug-free GUI and potentially hundreds of saves.