A noob's Blender question

Yamakasi20

May 17, 2017
Hey guys,

So I recently fooled around in Blender and noticed a very very curious thing which I hoped one of you could enlighten.

I open Blender, I import Panam's model which is so detailed and so well done.

I make some simple pose, render it in decent quality, takes quite a while to render it (maybe 10-15 min), nothing in background, no lighting.

Then I go to some other preview mode of Blender, and the model looks like fully rendered, super high quality, and I can move it around in real time, no quality lost.

So the stupid question is, how can a preview which I move in real time have much higher quality then a 10-15 min loaded render.

Thanks for the answers

Choo-choo

Aug 8, 2017
Most likely you was switching between Cycles and EEVEE
EEVEE is realtime render and its good(like really good), but Cycles is still better

Unlike Cycles, Eevee is not a raytrace render engine. Instead of computing each ray of light, Eevee uses a process called rasterization. Rasterization estimates the way light interacts with objects and materials using numerous algorithms. While Eevee is designed to use PBR(physically based rendering) principles, it is not perfect and Cycles will always provide more physically accurate renders. Because Eevee uses rasterization it has a large set of .

rainbowpunfz

Dec 4, 2017
Honestly this could be loads of things. You might be previewing in material preview while the render engine is set to cycles (material preview uses eevee). It might be that loads of things are turned on/off for preview/render, e.g. keeping polly count in previews low. Your render settings could be completely unreasonable (like trying cycles with like 256 samples on CPU + lots of bounces or volumetrics or something).