A noob's game idea, (needs suggestions and tips)

ErbiWern

Jan 21, 2020
Hi guys!
Before I start, let me tell you this, I am a student 90% of the time home, I got to school and play games, so U can easily see that I have so much of free time, so I decided to try and do something interesting and have a go on creating a Adult game. "Who asked" you may say, but I am in need of professional help in that matter, mostly technical (Programming, tips, what programs to use, noob friendly engine/ programing language).

Because of my lack of skill, in terms of programming, modelling, and use of various programs, I thought about something that seemed interesting to me.
So the idea is:
- A game about breeding (Inspired by games like "Breeders of the Nephelym" and "Breeding Season" (in that case more by the second one).
- The game would be simple at start (Like I pointed out earlier i have almost none knowledge about game development, but I would like to learn something, and after I will have some experience than I will add more advanced functions) .
- I thouht about something Text Based ( I know most people don't like that sort of games without solid writing, I am not a writer but i will explaing the rest in the next thought).
- The game will be based on users input, the mechanics will be all ready, but all of the lewd scenes will be totally cutomizable text wise even with Image support! (If there will be a some easy way to support videos aswell, I would have no problem to do that!).

So that being said I would like to hear you out guys with some programming and development skills for some tips. What game engine I should use as a noob, what programming language? And where I could get some assets to make the game at least bearable for the eyes.

PS: Oh I almost forgot

HighbornTiger

Sizable Pianissimo M*C^2
Game Developer
Sep 7, 2018
Maybe try renpy as an engine and Daz to create your images?

Renpy is pretty much the easiest thing out there to create a visual novel. I didn't get how your game is supposed to look when it's finished so maybe it will still be a pain in the ass.

I'd recomend Daz for graphics. If you want to go that rout you can pirat some assets through F95zone but you usually got to pay for them in the Daz Store. (Hope you got a nvidia-graficscard but it's not impossible to do CPU renders)
Maybe look into Honey Select if Daz isn't your kind of thing.

Sound's like you aren't much of an 'I draw it myself'-artist, so these two are the ones most games use.

moskyx

Forum Fanatic
Jun 17, 2019
- The game will be based on users input, the mechanics will be all ready, but all of the lewd scenes will be totally cutomizable text wise even with Image support! (If there will be a some easy way to support videos aswell, I would have no problem to do that!).
Honestly, after reading this point, I think your idea is way beyond what you could actually achieve at this moment, being a total noob. I'd suggest you to start with something simpler: before making a game responsive to player's inputs, try to create a simple game where you tell players a story (it can be about breeding, if that's your thing), maybe with just a few choices. That's the easiest way to know if you really have what it takes to be a game developer, at least from the writing and coding side of things. Then you could move on to more complex things like the ones needed to create a breeding game (variables, inventories, time cycles and so on), not to mention a kind of a responsive AI as you suggested. Reaching that level should be your goal, it wouldn't be wise to take it as your desired starting point -basically because you'll fail miserably.

Reactions: anne O'nymous

The Rogue Trader

Sep 12, 2021
Hi, I like ambitious projects.
I've no interest in the breeding fetish, so I won't be able to help you, but user-input sex scenes have always been a holy grail for me

You can start looking at what I did for a random generator of sex scenes (text only). It's very clunky, since I'm not a programmer, but it works. You just have to replace randomness with user choice and cut away some stuff that you don't need (80% of it is about partner selection in a multi-partners sex scene).

It needs a character file, like this one

or this one

It's written in Python so it should be easy to integrate it in RenPy, but you probably will waste less time if you just take inspiration by its core and rewrite it to your needs, replacing random generation with user input and expanding the text bits.

Image integration is going to be a pain, not because it's difficult to implement (it's very easy), but because in this kind of scenes images either are boringly generic or need far more effort in coding and rendering than any sane person would want to put into their life.
Luckily DAZ Studio/Poser can render on transparent background, so image layering can be an answer, you can check what I did for a project I toyed with several years ago (in this case it randomly generated characters by reading text files - yes, I am a sucker for random generators).

(it used to work, but it's many years since I abandoned that project, so I'm not sure anymore).

In the end:
Clear your schedule for the next 2-3 years.
RenPy lets you use Python and can go basically everything, but inefficiently. I suppose Unity is a sounder choice, but I don't know it.
If you start with a simple project in RenPy, you'll learn the basics of showing images and texts and user input in a couple of afternoons.
Python is very easy to learn. I self-taught myself the basics without any experience or attitude as a coder. While doing sophisticated stuff is a pain like with every other programming language, your needs can be reached with a beginner/amateur level of skill.

And good luck!

ErbiWern

Jan 21, 2020
I Checked the Renpy as you guys suggested, and I am definetely going to try that one out and see how it goes, but first i decided to try some smaller project non 18+ to check out all functions of Renpy, then if Ill be confident enough (with both Renpy and DAZ) Ill proceed with my Game, thank you for your advices, and keep em comin, cause there can be more useful tips. :cool:

Last edited: