VN Ren'Py Completed A Promise Best Left Unkept [Bonus Scenes S2 7-8] [Hangover Cat Purrroduction]

4.10 star(s) 98 Votes

estrada777

Engaged Member
Modder
Donor
Mar 22, 2020
HangoverCat Just checking but I see a < 1 second video clip called game\images\cgs\insert.avi that is 364MB in size? Does that seem right to you?

Terix3

Aug 2, 2017
Yeah we can resist....probably, although since next update is an actual ending i bet there will be a lot more people subscribing or upgrading their support to get it earlier, plus the patreon is still pretty high.}

Anyway i hope someone takes a middle ground and doesn't leak it sop fast but also not so slow xD, because next update is a bomb (finally an ending i can't wait to see how it ends)
I wouldn't mind waiting a month because it would ultimately mean getting a better game as result. But i know patience is in low supply these days...

I think you might be over-hyping yourself for the ending. Not that i'm not excited for next update but i expect an open ending. Laura keeps fooling behind and Harry never learns and when kid is born and its blonde Laura is like :"Uhm did you know my moms natural color is blonde hehe?"

Animefan_09

Sep 13, 2017
I wouldn't mind waiting a month because it would ultimately mean getting a better game as result. But i know patience is in low supply these days...

I think you might be over-hyping yourself for the ending. Not that i'm not excited for next update but i expect an open ending. Laura keeps fooling behind and Harry never learns and when kid is born and its blonde Laura is like :"Uhm did you know my moms natural color is blonde hehe?"
I like endings like that, where the MC remains "oblivious" so i am ok with that, not sure about the baby but i used "" because Harry would obviously be in hard denial, HC has already used similar concepts (like the gaslighting in the previous game) so i just know it will be interesting, plus hardcore.

Reactions: WhiteFireDaemon

HangoverCat

Game Developer
Jun 30, 2019
HangoverCat Just checking but I see a < 1 second video clip called game\images\cgs\insert.avi that is 364MB in size? Does that seem right to you?
Yikes. This was probably some kind of test I made with the animation render that ended up buried in that folder. The file is worthless, and its size is ridiculous. Kinda embarrassing. Thanks for telling me.

Terix3

Aug 2, 2017
We can't control the date when the game leaks, I think hangovercat needs to create a more resilient reward system on patreon.
We can't but we can.
By that mean if there would be a consensus in the community that we ain't leaking games for first week then mods could roll with that and take down early leaks and not update the thread for the first week.
But the community believes that the early leaks have no or negligible impact on projects and that is what i was addressing.

He can't create "resilient" reward system without giving up creative control of the game. The only things that leaks can't take away from patrons are votes. But it just doesn't work for story driven games.

Jan 24, 2018
Besides a resistant DRM such as Denuvo or game being released as an online service on the internet, nothing can work against leaks or cracking. It is a risk that you have to accept if you are a software developer. AAA companies with billions of dollars have to live with the same risk. Alternatively, every release download can be generated on demand by connecting to Patreon API and embedding the user credentials into that specific game release, that way the leaker's account can be identified and banned unless they have the necessary skills to remove such info.

Reactions: ohhaiguize

Yambidexter

Jul 16, 2020
Regarding leaks - I proposed earlier - and I hope HC sees that cause he's the main recipient of this proposal not some jerky irrelevant folks who couldn't grasp the idea with their dismissive comments - to make an official public release some time after release for 5$ patrons, say 5-10 days or even exactly on the day the new version is published, i.e. make 0.4.5 available publicly when 0.5.0 is out for 15$ level (alike N_Taii with Henteria Ch.2).

I appreciate what kind of site is this and I appreciate that the game has been leaked here and I was able to play it along with many others though I'm not a supporter; and I'm not the one to pay some AAA title price for a Japanese game once it's out. But current situation with A Promise Best Left Unkept is different from say when a new Japanese game is out on a certain date - there is no official public release and, accordingly, each month there is uncertainty about the time and fact of the game's availability which makes people to flood this thread invoking heroes and so forth every time. Public release won't mitigate the issue completely (the game will be leaked still), but I'm of opinion that having a certain date for public release will help with this a lot (patrons will be less willing to leak it because people will get the game either way just later on, which is kind of fair, cause patrons pay, eh? And people will whine less cause the date and the fact of public release will be set. There still will be all those jerky-junkies dying to have the game the moment it releases for free... as I say, this would help, not shut the issue down. If game is not leaked till set public release once in 2-3 months or leaks happen later than in comparison with the current situation it's a good thing already IMHO). Earlier availability depending on the patron level and support for the game will keep people motivated to subscribe if they can.

I believe, that HC originated this thread to gain visibility and get sensible feedback from a wider audience, as many other authors do. So leaking new versions is like a curve - something positive to a certain extent, but it's clearly negative in $ - be it 600 or any other considerable amount - when the project is relatively mature and starts to get leaked 2 days after top-tier patrons release. Which is obviously nothing good for this project and any future HC's games. Besides if HC finds this idea viable there will be less monthly 'hero invoking' flood and hopefully more meaningful comments in the thread. It's not only about HC and game feedback but about all the others who follow this thread.

P.S. I apologize if HC somehow noticed and commented on my previous post regarding this matter, I dropped reading the thread for some time cause idiotic replies got on my nerves.

P.P.S. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't recall mentioned Henteria Ch.2 being leaked here though there was a month between the initial and public releases each time.

Last edited:

matsuy

Sep 15, 2017
Besides a resistant DRM such as Denuvo or game being released as an online service on the internet, nothing can work against leaks or cracking. It is a risk that you have to accept if you are a software developer. AAA companies with billions of dollars have to live with the same risk. Alternatively, every release download can be generated on demand by connecting to Patreon API and embedding the user credentials into that specific game release, that way the leaker's account can be identified and banned unless they have the necessary skills to remove such info.
It's not about "not _sharing_ ever". HC shared the first release of APBLU here itself... with reasons (being: creating a following on Patreon). And every subsequent leak, I'd say, helped the dev even more... resulting in more patrons. However, this only worked as long as top-tier patrons had "bragging rights", creating interest by people who didn't yet have access to the latest content... and decided to rather pay up than wait a week or ten days. With 0-day leaks, though, this whole pyramid crumbles.

estrada777

Engaged Member
Modder
Donor
Mar 22, 2020
Updated Android port. Nothing too fancy but let me know if you have any issues.

Version: 1.0

Appreciate my porting? Leave a Tip! You're supporting my efforts, paying for storage, and encouraging more ports!
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ OR or even

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

This unofficial port/version is not released by the developer, download at your own risk.

PLEASE don't reply, or @ me, or DM me for updates. I always update my ports, YES I ALREADY KNOW ABOUT THE UPDATE.

PLEASE don't reply, or @ me, or DM me for updates. I always update my ports, YES I ALREADY KNOW ABOUT THE UPDATE.

Size 878 MB

Come find me on Discord:

Last edited:

Terix3

Aug 2, 2017
Regarding leaks - I proposed earlier - and I hope HC sees that cause he's the main recipient of this proposal not some jerky irrelevant folks who couldn't grasp the idea with their dismissive comments - to make an official public release some time after release for 5$ patrons, say 5-10 days or even exactly on the day the new version is published, i.e. make 0.4.5 available publicly when 0.5.0 is out for 15$ level (alike N_Taii with Henteria Ch.2).
I believe he can't release the game for free because he intends to sell it at some point. He has his past VN's (not hentai) on steam. If he intends to work with some publisher and get his game translated to Japanese/Chinese then more so he can't release it for free.

P.P.S. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't recall mentioned Henteria Ch.2 being leaked here though there was a month between the initial and public releases each time.
Pale Carnations got leaked despite having free release date. This game also didn't get early leaks earlier despite not having a free release date. This does not prove anything.
It is not about having or not having free date but how popular the game is. Very niche projects like Henteria tend to have very dedicated and loyal supporters, that is why none was leaking.

Reactions: beoroa21123

Twelvemonkey

Oct 12, 2018
New Android port. Nothing too fancy but let me know if you have any issues.

Version: 0.4.5 + Gallery Unlock by skai
Size 335 MB

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

This unofficial port/version is not released by the developer, download at your own risk.

PIXELDRAIN (if it gives you a .zip, just rename it as .apk)

Appreciate my porting? Leave a Tip! You're supporting my efforts, paying for storage, and encouraging more ports!
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Thanks, this game haven't had a steady unofficial android porter for so long. In the past, not every game's updates were ported. From now on we know you'll get the job done.

Terix3

Aug 2, 2017
The talk wasn't really about preventing leaks as whole but delaying them. The target also wasn't the dev but the community and the perception that it doesn't really matter how fast the game gets leaked.
If DRM is considered then i think making the game online would be the easiest - it is just VN so it should be easy enough.
But i don't think HC would ever do that, waste money on DRM.

It's not about "not _sharing_ ever". HC shared the first release of APBLU here itself... with reasons (being: creating a following on Patreon). And every subsequent leak, I'd say, helped the dev even more... resulting in more patrons. However, this only worked as long as top-tier patrons had "bragging rights", creating interest by people who didn't yet have access to the latest content... and decided to rather pay up than wait a week or ten days. With 0-day leaks, though, this whole pyramid crumbles.
Leaks do indeed help with advertising the game when you have no advertising capabilities otherwise. But it only works for first few versions or generally until people are convinced the game is good and the developer is reliable. Also i think that what dev is doing shouldn't be seen as leak but as releasing demo version. Demos were popular thing to get people interested in your game before YT kinda took over.

Last edited:
Reactions: Animefan_09

Desenra

Jun 23, 2020
Pop in her to interject and ask, does this game have choices that will affect the ending or is it a kinetic novel? Don't see either tag on this yet so just wondering

Animefan_09

Sep 13, 2017
I believe he can't release the game for free because he intends to sell it at some point. He has his past VN's (not hentai) on steam. If he intends to work with some publisher and get his game translated to Japanese/Chinese then more so he can't release it for free.
I hate that this is true, the legalities if its leaked or something make it really hard, honestly i think its better as it is right now, there have been cases where the big publishers ban the devs/authors from even coming to sites like this.

Copyright laws and the like are like a cancer sometimes

4.10 star(s) 98 Votes