a question for game developers, how do you write your scripts and do you do the script process first before doing the images and code?

Mr. Mayhem

Apr 14, 2019
what I mean by the script is when your writing what is going to happen next in the story, do you do it like a screenplay where the characters are talking and you put a scene name or location so you know where to do the images in whatever software you use (ex- Daz studio, koikatu studio). really interested on how you guys do this so I can do mine the right way.

Hentai_Kishi

Game Developer
Jul 24, 2018
In your projects you can use "mindmapping" software like Freeplane to track what important points each route has or each section of the story, when you have everything mapped out you can write what happens. For example: Act 1>Beach Episode>Act 2

And then you create a separate text document "Beach Episode" where you tell what happens in the beach episode with each characters lines and stuff like that. This is a nice way to organize and make sure you are working in one place at a time and when you are done, you are in fact done with that. If there is some dialogue that needs to be changed, grammar or typos, you will have an easier time checking because you know exactly where it came from, you won't need to run through a single file with all the chapters and episodes. I also recommend you do a file for the characters and depending on the type of the game, another file for the description of the mechanics if the game is complex.

I honestly prefer to write everything (or at least most of what needs to be written) before starting to code or draw something for a project since in this era you can simply take out your phone and work on your story, dialogue and relationships between characters everywhere. You can be at break from work or school and find some time to write, you can be in the bathroom and write some lines, you can be eating something while you try to squeeze some lines in. Phones are a weapon that people don't really know how to use.

This is what I can offer you. A developer that has actually one or two FINISHED games under their belt can probably help you a lot in terms of organization and production.

Avaron1974

Resident Lesbian
Aug 22, 2018
Don't know how many devs read these but I know a few and it varies.

1 is working off some books her wrote so all the story/script etc is done. Other worked on story boarding and scripting beforehand.

I honestly don't know any that started doing the images first but I suppose it must happen.

I know some devs go in with no ideas at all and go on guess work.

That said I suppose as long as you have a rough idea what you want to do you can try and do the rest as you build up the images.

The M.O.

Nov 27, 2020
I have not got to where your talking about yet. Seeing and matching it all up is I suppose something I will do ultimately in Ren'Py while looking at the code.

It is as you say, starting with some writing. You'd ideally want to start off with a close to perfect script for every part of your game. Then split it up and refer back to it if you need too. It doesn't work like that. As soon as you start thinking about your game as a go, that you will have lots of ideas from thought that you will be ready to get down.

Then you run into choices and options, thought required. As much thought as you'd have put into the close to perfect scripts you'd think you'd be running with. As time consuming as the biggest part of the project you would consider to be so.

It's disheartening looking at a game on a page with code. It looks like it's in order. They did this, then they decided to do this.
I just want to say, just looking at a game coded, does no justice to the amount of work involved.

Are you ready for a solid years work, day to day? I only got discipline for that in my 40's.

Last edited:
Reactions: Baka plays

Machinist

Game Developer
Aug 24, 2020
I think we had a similar thread in the developers forum some days ago and from what I gather most devs do the script first and then the renders (In my case it's script -> code -> renders), although there was at least one who did the renders first.

Reactions: Mr. Mayhem

mickydoo

Fudged it again.
Game Developer
Jan 5, 2018
Have the first scene(s) in your head and the last one(s)

Weather you write a script or not is a personal preference, I don't. If you do don't write it all out like some screenplay.

No matter what happens, however meticulously you plan things, no matter how much of a determination to stick to a plan/script, it will change as soon as you start seeing images. Remember you are making a visual novel, not a novel with pictures.

Personally, I have a story in my head i want to tell, I know how it starts, I know how it ends, how I get there I leave up to the whatever gods you want. Chapter by chapter, I know how it is going pan out of course, I just don't script it per say except for notes, and then forget to look at the notes.

Generally though -
Images first, say 10, to match what you want to tell, a visual novel is worthless without them.

Write the story to match the images (either from your script or on the fly), make more images as you go, changed the storyline (not the story) when an image dictates, and it will.

Coding comes last, there are always more dialog and images than code, and code needs one or both of them to be of any use anyway.

MFN

Game Developer
Mar 20, 2019
When you make games you will understand how its will be easier for you.
Write story first or renders.
Its individual.
You can write text and script, than you make renders for your plot (its like you add soul in your game).
Or you can make renders first. And when you look at your renders you can see a "story" in your arts.
And when you make renders first, in any case, you have thoughts of ideas in your head.
But remember, if you write story first, you may face such a problem that it will be unrealistic to realize your fantasy in the game due to the limitations of the programs in which you create art (Or because of the limitations in your knowledge).
The main thing is to think less and do more. Only through actions and your activity you will have experience and your own view of creativity.

lim000n

Jan 15, 2021
I`d highlight this from the programmer's point of view, who cannot do the writing. But can create a high-level plan of the story(sometimes, I have some troubles even with this lately).
In this case, coding goes first. You prepare a mockup: setup locations, temp characters with temp images, etc, and check your gameplay, if it is playable or not. For example, if you have battle scenes you can set up them with rectangles fighting each other, it is enough to check gameplay. Then you start to join scripts, fill starting locations with characters, items, events, change them, when needed. Once you have enough content to be sure, that starting items/characters/events will not change drastically, you can start to join images for them. From this point coding, writing and drawing will go simultaneously.

GelonG

To be, or not to be, that is the question…
Game Developer
Apr 1, 2018
Don't know how many devs read these but I know a few and it varies.

1 is working off some books her wrote so all the story/script etc is done. Other worked on story boarding and scripting beforehand.

I honestly don't know any that started doing the images first but I suppose it must happen.

I know some devs go in with no ideas at all and go on guess work.

That said I suppose as long as you have a rough idea what you want to do you can try and do the rest as you build up the images.
Now you know... That's me.) More precisely, I don't mean that.
Initially, the whole game is in my head. Since I'm a nerd. :ROFLMAO:
So the plot I have ready initially. Now the images. I have a weak PC. This means that writing a script for images that may not work out is Sisyphean work. So I first make images, which is about 2 weeks of continuous puffing on my PC, and then I make a script for the dialog. Or if some images did not work out - I redo some part, changing the events. And if the new images turned out - I write a script...
But I repeat-initially I have everything in my head. Even now, I have 3 scenarios in my head for new games (which may never come out). :unsure:

lordparcival

Nov 29, 2020
I have a rough idea of what i want.
I have written a partial Script of what i want and then started scripting.
Then followed the initial Idea but mostly im creating the Story while i am writing the script.
But since could also be caused by me being new to it.
I have a few Renders ready but only around 10 or so.
While creating the code though i also made clear where i would change the Images and so the Idea of what the Images should look like is already implemented in the code.

I guess you could also try to render first and write text for it later. But if you change the way you want to tell it you might need to rerender so i for myself would do the renders later till you finish your story. Cause in my book the writing/scripting is the less time consuming part in relation to the renders.

79flavors

Respected User
Jun 14, 2018
I'm not a developer of any game, but this is what I would do (assuming zero prior experience of AVN game development)...
  • Play with Daz3D a bit to get a feel for the controls.
  • Render a face (with Daz3D).
  • Render a woman laying on a bed (extra points for "with clothing").
  • Render a male and female sat on a sofa in a full room with other furniture, windows and other props.
  • Render a woman taking a shower or in the bath.
  • Learn the basics of RenPy.
  • Find a story you like on a site like .
  • Write that same story as a kinetic novel (no player choices) using RenPy. Create basic renders, but don't fuss if they look crap.
  • Throw that newly created game away when you've finished it (no plagiarising someone else's story).
  • Write a basic outline of YOUR story, primarily how you expect it to start and end and any highlights in the middle.
  • Optional: Write a basic outline using something like .
  • Create a fully clothed (day to day clothing) for your protagonist's main love interest in Daz3D. Don't continue until you are happy he/she/they look exactly how you are hoping.
  • Write your game in RenPy.
    • Create chapter outline (Maybe twine again).
    • Write the chapter dialogue in full, either directly in RenPy script or a word processor.
    • Create rendered scenes.
    • Optional: Add background music.
    • Optional: Add additional sounds.
    • <-- Rinse and repeat. -->
  • Find Christmas themed outfits and props... because invariably your fans will expect a Christmas special edition.
So yeah, day to day I'd write the story first and add renders later.

But initially, I think it's important that you know the basics of using Daz.
Creating a shower or bath scene isn't easy to pull off, which is why I had it last. But if you can do it (doesn't have to be perfect), you're ready to worry about the rest.

I also think there are things you learn by writing RenPy code that shouldn't ever be included in a publicly downloadable game. So write a throwaway kinetic novel to learn the pitfalls, then avoid those pitfalls when it matters (i.e your game).

Last edited:

The M.O.

Nov 27, 2020
does f95 have a discord channel for developers to chat/ share/ help each other?
f95 has a great supportive vibe going around. I doubt f95 would have a discord channel for this though. You'd just find way more people on the forum here and that critical mass is best.

DelinquentProductions

Degenerate
Game Developer
Oct 24, 2020
I tend to do things in layers. First I'll write up a general concept of what the game is in loose terms, the characters, the themes, the major moments, etc.

Then from that I think of tentpoles, moments through the story that need to be there to achieve what I want. They can start as visual elements, a cool set or striking imagery, or some plot point that I think is especially interesting.

With those roughly in place I figure out what needs to be strung together to connect them and make everything work together. All of this is still pretty loose at this point, and I just use a google doc to keep track of it.

Once I have that rough outline I go scene by scene like a screenplay filling in the details. I only write out a few scenes at a time like this, then get them rendered and coded. Inevitably there will be rewrites since once you actually see it together some things need to shift around, which is a good thing, it helps with general polish.

Then just rinse repeat as you move on. I have no idea if that's how others do it or not, but it's the system that feels the most natural, and productive to me.