A question on hosting

Squark ⚧❤️

Conversation Conqueror
Jun 16, 2017
When I upload a game update (and provide at least five links) an notify the mods why is it they reupload it - sometimes even to the same host? Why not just use the ones I post?

As this is not a feature request nor an actual problem, I though it should go here.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
When I upload a game update (and provide at least five links) an notify the mods why is it they reupload it - sometimes even to the same host? Why not just use the ones I post?
Because we trust them more than you. Not that we don't trust you, but when a link come from an uploader, we know for sure that the files have been tested against most threats. When it come from someone else, we can just assume that they've been. And this make a big difference.

By the way, the need to provide mirror links is for the uploaders. No one effectively expect the game author, or the guy who answered to a request, to provide more than one valid link.

Squark ⚧❤️

Conversation Conqueror
Jun 16, 2017
Because we trust them more than you. Not that we don't trust you, but when a link come from an uploader, we know for sure that the files have been tested against most threats. When it come from someone else, we can just assume that they've been. And this make a big difference.

By the way, the need to provide mirror links is for the uploaders. No one effectively expect the game author, or the guy who answered to a request, to provide more than one valid link.
You missed or disregarded the main key point of the question I posed:
What about when they're reuploaded to the same host? That seems like nonsense.
In this case I earlier shared a game update and one of the links I used was GoFile.
I find out that who whomever edits the main post of the game subsequently reuploaded it to GoFile.

"We trust them more" Pfft. The (paid for) file I shared came from his personal file server and was shared in an unopened, unedited form in the original archive it was supplied in.

I'm not saying that my links are any better than the next guy. But if you're not going to use the links provided, why even have a requirement for them?

Not once did I mention the game author. Why even bring that point up?

Last edited:

Jaike

Aug 24, 2020

As this is not a feature request nor an actual problem, I though it should go here.
I think it's policy to some degree to do that unless there's been an explicit say-so that it's okay to use the old links. It's to avoid overloads on some hosting sites.

Squark ⚧❤️

Conversation Conqueror
Jun 16, 2017
I think it's policy to some degree do that unless there's been an explicit say-so that it's okay to use the old links. It's to avoid overloads on some hosting sites.
That makes some degree of sense, at least.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
And you clearly understood nothing I said ; this said, perhaps my poor English skills' fault.

And how would it make more sense that he upload them somewhere else ?
He upload the games using the host he have the habit to use, period. It's the same than yours, well, how is this really surprising ? After all, there isn't this much reliable hosts out there.

"We trust them more" Pfft. The (paid for) file I shared came from his personal file server and was shared in an unopened, unedited form in the original archive it was supplied in.
As if you would be able to tell if an archive have been opened...
It's not because he shared the original archive, that he haven't firstly extracted, and tested, its content.

I'm not saying that my links are any better than the next guy. But if you're not going to use the links provided, why even have a requirement for them?
I answered that in the message you quote...

:FacePalm:

lemonfreak

The Freakiest of Lemons
Oct 24, 2018
In this case I earlier shared a game update and one of the links I used was GoFile.
I find out that who whomever edits the main post of the game subsequently reuploaded it to GoFile.

What happens when the developer. seeing that you've shared their game using their own link, deletes it and re-uploads?

Waaifu

Furry Gamer
Uploader
Donor
Aug 6, 2016

We had issues of users deleting their links when they leave the site, which is why the links are reuploaded most of the time. Some uploaders do use the links from others though they keep a copy as backup just in case it needs to be reuploaded again.