• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

Ren'Py A Scene or Image with dialogue in Ren'Py

Deleted member 4879170

Mangawy
Game Developer
May 1, 2022
I am very new to game development and I am working on a small-scale project just to "test the waters" essentially and I decided to do that on Ren'Py. So, I wanted to create a scene or a dialogue between two characters but all the tutorials show you how to do that in the basic or the "Japanese VN" way, which is a background and a character in front of it.
Example:
25197_emi_sprite.jpg
Picture from: Katwa Shoujo - Four Leaf Studios

But what I wanted to create was something like the following picture but with dialogue.

536391_1_4.jpg
Picture from: Being a DIK - DrPinkCake

I tried my best to explain the issue, hopefully, it will be enough. I just want to know what code to use in Ren'py or how to do it in general.

Also, please leave me any tips that you think might help me out.

Perverteer

Peddler of Unspeakable Goods
Game Developer
Nov 19, 2017
Just define a scene like so: scene guytalkingtoroommate

Ren'Py will look for an image file called guytalkingtoroommate somewhere in your game directory.

If you want it to appear with a certain effect you do the following: scene guytalkingtoroommatewith dissolve

You can find out more of the framework and about transitions like dissolve .