A Silent Statue. Is this game legit?

desmosome

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 5, 2018
https://f95zone.to/threads/a-silent-statue-v0-8-1-taboossy.141701/

Not gonna lie, this looks like the twilight zone.

60 reviews that look pretty legit. ALL of them with 5* ratings. For a janky looking RPGM game with a bare bones overview. About a game where you fuck sentient torsos of statues. And this happened in less than a month.

I'm sensing some chicanery going on, regardless of how good the game actually is (I haven't played it). It would take a huge amount of players actually taking the time to play the game to get this many reviews so fast. A no name dev with 50 patrons dropping some niche looking content won't be able to get this much interest. It's just not feasible.

BaDIK managed to acquire this many reviews in about the same time frame. CoBD took 3 months or so. Those two devs are arguably the most well known and broadly popular devs on this site. Some statue fucking RPGM game from a new dev can garner greater initial interest than CoBD? Hmm...

Granted, there could be a novelty factor. If the story is actually super amazing when most people just went in to check out some joke game, that might prompt them to leave a review more than getting a good quality game that they fully expected. The numbers seem unreasonable even if we consider that kind of thing is happening, though.

Thoughts?

PLS don't go brigading the game thread though. It's impossible to conclusively know for sure just from this type of deduction.

moskyx

Forum Fanatic
Jun 17, 2019
Granted, there could be a novelty factor. If the story is actually super amazing when most people just went in to check out some joke game, that might prompt them to leave a review more than getting a good quality game that they fully expected. The numbers seem unreasonable even if we consider that kind of thing is happening, though.
Well, I've just tested it right now for you and that's basically it. I can totally see people downloading it hoping to get some trashy joke game like the chair sex simulator but finding a decent and honest try at game development, with kind of a sweet ending despite the weirdness of the setting (I've only found one so far, but it seems there are more, and some even more wholesome). I don't think it's really worthy of so much praise though, but it's not bad either. Plus it was uploaded just right before Christmas and I guess people were in a good mood to keep adding glorifying reviews. It's well-written and leaves you a good taste when you were probably expecting to get just some crazy statue-raping

Reactions: desmosome and LS47

desmosome

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 5, 2018
Well, I've just tested it right now for you and that's basically it. I can totally see people downloading it hoping to get some trashy joke game like the chair sex simulator but finding a decent and honest try at game development, with kind of a sweet ending despite the weirdness of the setting (I've only found one so far, but it seems there are more, and some even more wholesome). I don't think it's really worthy of so much praise though, but it's not bad either. Plus it was uploaded just right before Christmas and I guess people were in a good mood to keep adding glorifying reviews. It's well-written and leaves you a good taste when you were probably expecting to get just some crazy statue-raping
I certainly understand this POV, that's why I pointed it out. I played Pronant Symphony thinking it will be a standard mind control hentai, but the story was surprisingly deep and thoughtful. Bonus points for gameplay being really good. It's one of my favorite games. The fact that the story surprised me so much was part of why I liked it too.

That said, for the merits of the game to shine through, people have to play it in the first place. Maybe I'm making too many assumptions, but Silent Statue doesn't really strike me as something that will draw in a large amount of players. The banner is amateurish, the overview doesn't say much, the subject matter is... unique. The review to like ratio is higher than anything I've ever seen on this site. Like count can roughly be correlated with thread views. Like or thread views can reasonably be associated with the amount of players that played the game.

MelonGod

Jun 9, 2019
I certainly understand this POV, that's why I pointed it out. I played Pronant Symphony thinking it will be a standard mind control hentai, but the story was surprisingly deep and thoughtful. Bonus points for gameplay being really good. It's one of my favorite games. The fact that the story surprised me so much was part of why I liked it too.

That said, for the merits of the game to shine through, people have to play it in the first place. Maybe I'm making too many assumptions, but Silent Statue doesn't really strike me as something that will draw in a large amount of players. The banner is amateurish, the overview doesn't say much, the subject matter is... unique. The review to like ratio is higher than anything I've ever seen on this site. Like count can roughly be correlated with thread views. Like or thread views can reasonably be associated with the amount of players that played the game.
no offense man but you've basically summarized why the game would garner attention and plays throughout your comments.

• Yay, new update!
Reactions: Lerd0

Lerd0

Conversation Conqueror
Donor
Jul 29, 2017

..the name....the concept....and the fact that it's short.....and good.....
..and the fact that it was on itchio and newgrounds before showing up here...
1673389440440.png
1673389457170.png

RedPillBlues

I Want to Rock your Body (To the Break of Dawn)
Donor
Jun 5, 2017
While I never played it, I certianly clicked on simply because I thought "wtf is that" as I was looking at the latest updates page. With how saturated the market is becoming I can see why people would be more likely to click that then the average game. Also I did a quick look through of the accounts that reviewed the gasme, and only one of them out of all of them was even slightly sus. So yeah, seems to just be a meme game that popped off and subverted everyones expectations.

Last edited:
  • Yay, new update!
Reactions: desmosome and Lerd0

moskyx

Forum Fanatic
Jun 17, 2019

Ah, well, that's an entirely different topic. He's making around $150 on Patreon at the moment so it's not been a huge success on that side either. It does seem disproportional. That said, it's an RPGM game with the monster girl tag, I'm sure those elements alone are present in many people's filters, and the game actually asks you to leave a comment or a review when you finish it, so I can imagine some people could feel compelled to do so after getting the game's wholesome ending. But as I said, it could've been just the unexpectedly awesome running joke of that pre-Xmas week - or as Lerdo pointed out, that the game was already known out of this forum, although then it's odd it wasn't uploaded here before it was. All in all, if he is actually a new dev and this is his first project, he can be great if he keeps working hard.

Thanks. But if the story is a meaningful one it might be still interesting. Dom/sub MC I care mostly only in regards to sexual stuff really.
Well, all the statues are very pushy, and a couple of them basically assault the MC, and he's always caring for them. Here's the story anyway:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

moskyx

Forum Fanatic
Jun 17, 2019
Thank you very much, that's very kind of you. I appreciate it! :)

-

The description that you play as a 'tired guy' made me curious if it has a 'search for meaning' side to it.

I didn't fully understand what you mean with

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Will the mystery not be explained? Or did you just not want to spoil it? Feel free to spoil it if you want. Curious.
No, it's not explained. You can click on several objects and your MC says 'Now I could understand the mystery, if I want to', but there's no follow-up on that. So it's not implemented in this current version of the game

• Red Heart
Reactions: hellohello95zone