Ren'Py A writer looking for interesting projects

Mar 24, 2018
Well hello there! Thanks for taking the time to read this.

I am a writer, been writing for about eight years now and gotten rather good at it. I'm also bilingual and English is one of my native languages. Content marketing has become a specialty of mine, which means a wide variety of content types have been my daily grind, from blog posts to white papers and social media posts.

No matter the style of the game or the variety of characters, I can adapt my writing to nearly any style, era or accent if need be.

What I'm not is an experienced writer of 'smut' so to say, but over the past six months my interest in adult games has grown vastly, and I've been even dabbling with some renders for personal fun. However, as of now I'm not looking to create a game of my own, mainly due to the time constraints my job has so kindly provided me with.

So what I have is plenty of paid, professional experience as a writer, marketer and web designer, and I'm looking to take this interest of mine to the next level by taking part in game development as a writer.

Let's cut to the chase.

I'm looking for a project that piques my interest, whether it's a medieval story of princesses and heroes or a milf all hot and bothered for her son, that I can take part in as a writer, story planner, marketer, proofreader, whatever is needed really. In my job I'm working closely with WordPress, so coding is not an unfamiliar territory, but you won't get a lead developer for your project out of me.

But... but... Sir, what about the money?
Ah, excellent question. I won't work for free, but I if I see potential in an idea and the quality of renders, I might very well be persuaded to work on a revenue share model. Naturally, the more work I do in the project, the larger my cut, duh.

Don't make money the problem, as I won't either. Money can always be negotiated.

Throw your ideas, offers, thoughts, wildest dreams (please no tentacles) or even existing projects you need help with my way, and let's see if we could achieve great things together.

Or tell me to f*ck off, that's well within everyone's rights, but I might just bite back.

Mar 24, 2018
Oh yeah, based on the games I've played, Ren'Py has become something of a favourite of mine, hence the tag. Could work on a project based on any engine or platform really, but the user experience of the game needs to be very good. Nothing I hate more in adult games than having to throw my keyboard out of the window simply because I couldn't find a way to exit the MC's bedroom during the intro.

Reactions: Nottravis

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
Greetings! It's great to hear you want to go "next level" with your writing into something like game development. I am doing something similar, but as a programmer instead. I can't say I have a project for you, as I intend to first make a good game to prove my skill before starting any commercial endeavors or team projects, but I do have a question for you.

Right now I am developing (for the fourth iteration now) a library of code that is designed with the intent to allow non-programmers of a team to be able to make major sections of the game and cutscenes without having to touch any code (using the unity engine), mostly using just drag and drop to set up assets and stuff. I wanted to know, if you had a game engine designed for you, a writer of games, what would it need to be able to do to be perfect?

Right now my code is meant to handle 2D games, with the simplest case being something like a point and click adventure game (think, waking up in your room when the game starts, and the game shows an image of your room, where you can click on different things, such as the door, to leave your room). Currently, these are the features in progress.

~ At the highest level of the game, there will be an overworld that will allow for connecting major locations (think of a world map where you can choose to go home, to the park, or downtown type of thing) (this will be a unity scene where you can add in a background, drag and drop images(icons for locations) on the map, and then connect and name them to the map manager.)
~ Each major location will be its own scene, with the possibility to have multiple rooms (think of being able to move through a house one room at a time).
~~ Each room will be a gameObject, allowing you to disable all but the one you are working on, and drag and drop every possible interactable object for that room in (disabling those you don't need to look at while working) and attach it to the controller (I am designing it such that the editor can be in any state, and the game will turn off and on what it needs according to its boot settings, to help keep the user interface clean while working.)
~~ Each interactable should be able to control and instruct the game (go to new room, start a cutscene, change a state of something, etc. How this will be done has yet to be determined since I have not gotten to establishing interactables yet, but these interactables could be built from events like a character walking out a door if you are making an RPG, and other functions can be reused to make other games work in a similar manner).
~~ A flowchart is used to map out all possible rooms/zones at a location, mapping out what rooms connect to which,
~ Cutscenes will be their own scenes, to help keep things clean while working, with all assets are attached to 1 of 2 controllers.
~~ organize via another flow chart
~~ A generic controller is used for something akin to a Visual Novel like interface, managing dialog, and character images, the generic controller is used for any part of the game (it is possible to execute a cutscene in-game, without leaving the room( unity's scene) such as when the character runs into someone in the hall, but it is not worth an entire cutscene to describe the interaction.)
~~ scene specific controller is the second controller type, holding things like backgrounds and other resources specific to the current cutscene.
~~ cutscenes can be instructed to re-enter the game however they want, back in the room, in a different room, different location, different location with a specific room, etc.

Also, once it is all working, I intend to make a video showing: 1 adding a new location to the world map, 2 making a new scene to act as the new location, 3 building the navigation flow chart of what rooms are possible and how they are connected, 4 making the gameObject for each room and loading in the background image (also will play around with being able to have multiple backgrounds for different times of day and or level of clutter in a room to allow proof of advance control and customizability), 5 drag in and connect every interactable, 6 making a cutscene, and 7 connecting it all together to make a working location/game. Usually making and organizing multiple rooms could take a good part of the day, at least a few minutes for say, just three rooms, but with drag and drop features I have cut it down to about 8 actions (Room count, names x 3, Image count, drag in images x 3, tho this code is still being heavily altered and changed). The videos will help show the whole process so that anyone using it can see how to build things using my code.

Now these features are described pretty specifically, but that is since I must follow a sort of mechanic to get it all to work, but if you were to add anything (and it can be simple or complex, and you don't need to use technical words to explain it), what would you want/need to be able to do to make the games you want (such as being able to leave the MC's room :p)

Thanks in advance!