Unity Completed Abandoned: A Tale Of Forgotten Lives [v1.0] [Kerni]

4.40 star(s) 54 Votes

Hans98

Aug 3, 2018
Hello guys, i have a question. Im stuck at the part where you have time to spend, after the complete contol over the lab. But now i guess i made everything but the story doesnt continue. Can anybody help me?
Talk to Aemi. You probeably didn´t scroll through all talking options.

Reactions: Cirro84

Cirro84

Resident Evil-doer, part-time Candyman
Dec 24, 2016
... tried activating the alternative save option and it worked. I'll do some research by myself and try to give permissions to the locations you mentioned and see if I can save without the alternative save option enabled. I'll also check the logs to see if something interesting appears. ...
Heh, finally. ^^ Great Kerni included this. If you like keep me updated, it'd be interesting to find some more about OS X internals. I really don't have so much experience. Anything new info is appreciated. Just drop a pm if you want.

...There is also another method, go into gameplay settings and enable to alternativ save, this will save your game into playerprefs instead of a file.
Can you please tell where your game is storing saves (and / or temp files), Kerni? This 'playerprefs' is typical for Unity, what are other dirs you use on a Mac with your games? Guess you had this all set up in the compilation prefs for doing Mac builds?

Really would like to know, it's probably just a nuisance, but some mems with Macs got some weird troubles. :)
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Kerni

Game Developer
Oct 9, 2017
Can you please tell where your game is storing saves (and / or temp files), Kerni? This 'playerprefs' is typical for Unity, what are other dirs you use on a Mac with your games? Guess you had this all set up in the compilation prefs for doing Mac builds?

Really would like to know, it's probably just a nuisance, but some mems with Macs got some weird troubles. :)
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Ther are two options the normal options just uses this function wit the parameter filename "AATOFL_Save_1.txt"
no special folder is used:

Code:
function WriteToFile(Filename:String,Contents:String,Override:boolean){
    //Normal windows behaviour.. it just works...
    if(PlayerPrefs.GetInt("SAVE_WORKAROUND",0) == 0){

//WINDOWS system file based
        if (System.IO.File.Exists(Filename) && !Override)
        {
            print(Filename+"Already exists and will NOT be override.");
        }else{
            var sr = System.IO.File.CreateText(Filename);
            //File.AppendAllText(path, appendText); --> für das anfügen von einer datei
            sr.WriteLine(Contents);
            sr.Close();   
            print(Filename+" Has been generated!.");
        }
    };
    //MAC LINUX workaround (maybe breaks when savegames esceeds 1MB data)
    if(PlayerPrefs.GetInt("SAVE_WORKAROUND",0) == 1){
        PlayerPrefs.SetString(Filename,Contents);
        PlayerPrefs.SetString(Filename+"_time",System.DateTime.Now.ToString());
    };

};

The second option is the playpref and i have no idea where mac/linux is safeing those (on windows it is saved in the regristry)

Mr.Clock

Oct 9, 2017
I've noticed another problem. I don't know if it's something related with my OS, but while finishing the game, I talked to Aemi in the hangar bay in order to leave the base, but I decided to choose the option to stay a bit longer in order to make sure I wasn't missing anything. The problem is that when I came back to Aemi, I couldn't interact with her, and neither with Vivian, so I'm stuck and I don't know what can I do because I wouldn't like to start the game from the beginning.

Kerni

Game Developer
Oct 9, 2017
I've noticed another problem. I don't know if it's something related with my OS, but while finishing the game, I talked to Aemi in the hangar bay in order to leave the base, but I decided to choose the option to stay a bit longer in order to make sure I wasn't missing anything. The problem is that when I came back to Aemi, I couldn't interact with her, and neither with Vivian, so I'm stuck and I don't know what can I do because I wouldn't like to start the game from the beginning.
You can use the savegames that comes with the game. One savegame is even AFTER the last chapter.
(I attach it just in case you overwrote it)

In case of the bug you found.. well since i am fully into the new game i would like to leave it be like that.
It is just too much work and time to debug for two games.
(The ending is just them flying out of the base and credits roll)

Mr.Clock

Oct 9, 2017
You can use the savegames that comes with the game. One savegame is even AFTER the last chapter.
(I attach it just in case you overwrote it)

In case of the bug you found.. well since i am fully into the new game i would like to leave it be like that.
It is just too much work and time to debug for two games.
(The ending is just them flying out of the base and credits roll)
Okay, I'll use the file.
Btw I think the game is very cool, so I'm going to write a good review.
Thank you again!

Kastieris

Jul 31, 2017
Hey Kerni. This game is dang impressive. I want to strongly encourage you to find an editor/proofreader for your text. It's riddled with typos and all sorts of grammar errors. If you had someone with a stronger grasp of these things to do some editing of your text, it would put an extra bit of professional shine on your work, as well as making the story stronger overall.

I'm going to provide some examples of how some edits could impact the tone. I've taken some of your text from the prologue of the game and provided alternate rewrites:

O: Oh my.. Every day the same thing...
E: Oh my. The same thing every day.

O: I really should have listen to Ethan. He was right that this field has been scanned thoughly 70 years ago.
E: I should have listened to Ethan. He was right about how thoroughly they scanned this field 70 years ago.

O: I hoped I would find some more valuable minerals in here with the new scan technology but.. no.. not really.
E: I hoped that the new scanning technology would help me find valuable minerals they missed. But... Nothing so far.

O: Mh.. Warm milk..
E: Mh. Warm milk...

O: I better go back to the ship wreckage I found last time. I think I could make a bit money their selling parts of it.
E: I should got back to that ship wreckage I found earlier. I might make some money if I sell scrap from it.

O: Mh.. More iron-ore?
E: Mh. More iron ore?

O: Looks like the big one ahead.
E: Looks like the reading are from the big one over there.

O: Woah.. Quite a bunch of minerals in there... Not much , but enough to sell the data.
E: Woah! A lot of other minerals too. Not very valuable, but I could still sell the data.

O: Steel?... Aluminium? Did a ship crash into the asteroid?
E: Mh. Steel and aluminum? Did a ship crash into into it?

O: This data could be worth something. I better make a close up scan.
E: This could be worth something. I should do a detailed scan.

O: Let's see... Just fly a bit closer.
E: Let's fly a bit closer.

O: At least I can make a bit of money out of the data.
E: Maybe this data will have some value after all.

O: What a boring way to make some money. Scanning rocks if they have anykind of worth minerals in them.
E: What dull way to make a living. Hoping to find something valuable by scanning rocks all day.

O: Better fly slowly in an asteroid field.. Mh.. Maybe I can make myself something to eat.
E: I better slow the ship down while I scan this rock. It'll take a while. I should make something to eat.

O: Okay.. lets se if I can make myself something yummy.
E: Okay. I'm going to make myself something yummy.

O: This is the most expensive item on the ship. A live support generator. Able to give fresh air even for a medium sized ship. Okay.. I buyed them second-hand but they still work good.
E: This is the most expensive equipment I have on board. The life support unit provides all the air I need and is even powerful enough to supply a medium class ship. I bought it used, but it still works great.

O: Everything you need to investigate abandoned ships while doing a scavage job. Most of the ships I've seen have been heavly damaged and I had to buy myself a kind of mobile life support system so I can work on these ships. Haven't used them in a while now.. Hope the equipment still works. I see I forgot my hand light. *I stuffed the hand light in on of the cases.*
E: This salvage kit provides everything need to investigate old shipwrecks while doing a salvage job. Most of the wrecks I work in are heavly damaged. I had to buy a mobile life support system so I can safely work in them. It's been a while since I've used it. I hope everything still works. Oh. I left out my hand lamp! *I put the lamp back into my salvage kit.*

I'd be willing to help you out with this as I have time. I really love the concept and what you've done with the game. It's fun and well put together. I love editing and would be more than willing to help you work out typos and grammar issues to give the writing the polish it deserves. Shoot me a message if you're interested. I understand if you aren't, though I hope you'll take my advice and get some help, or even solicit feedback so you can fix the more egregious issues.

Reactions: saintvermillion

Regardie

Jul 27, 2017
@Kastieris , You will find that several people have started that process and have not finished it. But @Kerni has provided a way for the process to proceed. When you really look into it, you will find thousands of lines of code to be adjusted. I would reccommend that you hook up with @bshippers here to see how far he has gotten with his work as he has done the most, most recently, and you can go back in this thread and learn how to get his storymod.js into your game, or offer to continue where he left off.

Kastieris

Jul 31, 2017
@Kastieris , You will find that several people have started that process and have not finished it. But @Kerni has provided a way for the process to proceed. When you really look into it, you will find thousands of lines of code to be adjusted. I would reccommend that you hook up with @bshippers here to see how far he has gotten with his work as he has done the most, most recently, and you can go back in this thread and learn how to get his storymod.js into your game, or offer to continue where he left off.
Thanks for the heads up. Will look into it.

Kerni

Game Developer
Oct 9, 2017
Hey Kerni. This game is dang impressive. I want to strongly encourage you to find an editor/proofreader for your text. It's riddled with typos and all sorts of grammar errors. If you had someone with a stronger grasp of these things to do some editing of your text, it would put an extra bit of professional shine on your work, as well as making the story stronger overall.

I'm going to provide some examples of how some edits could impact the tone. I've taken some of your text from the prologue of the game and provided alternate rewrites:

O: Oh my.. Every day the same thing...
E: Oh my. The same thing every day.

I know >_<

Me = still learning to speak proper english xD

sifilis

Apr 27, 2017
I need help. I've done the Hydroponic deck, did the threesome with the plant, but can't progress the story further. What am I missing? Every time I talk to Aemi she doesn't have any important topics to discuss with me.

Kerni

Game Developer
Oct 9, 2017
I need help. I've done the Hydroponic deck, did the threesome with the plant, but can't progress the story further. What am I missing? Every time I talk to Aemi she doesn't have any important topics to discuss with me.

1.There should be another point in Aemis dialouge under - about the current situation - maybe ou just forgot the scroll up in the list of avaliable topics (use arrows).

2. if this is not the case please make sure you are plaing onthe latest version of the game

3. attch thesave file so i can have a look into it (maybe you found a bug)

sifilis

Apr 27, 2017
1.There should be another point in Aemis dialouge under - about the current situation - maybe ou just forgot the scroll up in the list of avaliable topics (use arrows).

2. if this is not the case please make sure you are plaing onthe latest version of the game

3. attch thesave file so i can have a look into it (maybe you found a bug)
Thanks a lot, I didn't realise there were multiple topics not only in the main conversation tree. Definitely not a bug then :)

TheHanyou

Aug 29, 2017
*Looks at Version number* Version: v0.96.2

*Just stares at the 'Completed' tag* Really? They couldn't just make it 1.0?

TheHanyou

Aug 29, 2017
Not to mention the File Name still says 'Alpha'...You sure this shouldn't be marked 'Abandoned'? That or the Devs are too lazy to change the version number & file name...

TheHanyou

Aug 29, 2017
Ok, after a quick check of the Dev's Patreon, this game is still in development & shouldn't be marked as Completed.

Kerni

Game Developer
Oct 9, 2017
Ok, after a quick check of the Dev's Patreon, this game is still in development & shouldn't be marked as Completed.
The game is complete (AATOFL) but my new game did not reached the front page status yet.
Once my new game -milky way- has a public build i update the page.

2GM/c2

Dec 18, 2016
The game is complete (AATOFL) but my new game did not reached the front page status yet.
I don't usually post these but I did want to say awesome job on the game. There are developers actually charging significant amounts of money and delivering far less then what you managed to do as a hobby. Really impressed.

Reactions: bacchusplateau

RedPillBlues

I Want to Rock your Body (To the Break of Dawn)
Donor
Jun 5, 2017
Can we get some monster girls in the next game ast some point?

4.40 star(s) 54 Votes