About 3D render engines

best_weter

Oct 22, 2017
Hello, I am a game developer and designer with many years of experience with ordinary games, but I am interested in trying to develop adult games and I am interested in what engines for rendering animation or just pictures exist

I'm interested in learning briefly about 3D engines that you can recommend:
  • Their flexibility in customization in characters and render settings and content management or possible assets for purchase
  • Are there any built in animations or packs with assets
  • I'm mostly interested in fantasy style
  • Terms of use for further sale on different platforms in the basis of I am interested in Steam
  • I mostly work in Unreal Engine 4/5 and Blender, if any such engines have cross-compatibility it will be +
I know about the existence of engines like Honey Select, Koikatsu Party and Daz, but I know next to nothing about them, so I'd like some advice before I dive into learning about them. If lazy you can just give links to other similar discussions or just post the name of other engines. Also if you have any basic guidelines for adult game development you can write as well. Thanks in advance

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
Honey Select and Koikatsu are not engines, but games. They come with a scene editor, but that's about it. Obviously using them prevents the sale of your games as that would be copyright infragement.

Use Daz3D.
It has a bridge to Blender, and since you can use it, you could even consider exporting assets bought (and assembled?) in DAZ3D and edit them further in Blender, or simply render there.

-edit-
Daz3D is also a scene editor and you could render your scenes directly there.
However, in case you do not like rendering on DAZ3D or wish to often edit the geometry/textures/materials in a familiar environment, then using both blender and daz would be good.
You could also create your own assets in Blender, and import them in DAZ3D. In short, the two of them work well together.

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
So are there any other options or just Daz and that's it?
Well, there is this: which is paid.
There are also character creators for Unreal and Unity, but you will need to create nudity "mods" for them, and of course all the nsfw animations. You can go more "barebones" with it and use human generator plugins in Blender, and do basically most of the work yourself (Which will basically kill your project before it even starts).
There are probably a couple more that I do not know, which I highly doubt are on par with DAZ3D, so while options exist, DAZ is the best one which is why it's used so much.
As for cartoony (so a "Legal to use" KK), Vroid Studio is an excellent option.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
Hello, I am a game developer and designer with many years of experience with ordinary games, but I am interested in trying to develop adult games and I am interested in what engines for rendering animation or just pictures exist
It always astounds me when people have so many years of experience and still don't know how to use a search engine...

Daz Studio, Poser, Maya, Blender, the list is long. Some even include Unreal in it since it can give really good result, but of course it's less easier to use ; it's a game engine, therefore you would have to code the interface by yourself to use it as rendering engine.
And of course there's the in between, like the already named studios made by Illusion or VAM by example.

I know about the existence of engines like Honey Select, Koikatsu Party and Daz, but I know next to nothing about them,
And once again haven't had the idea to search by yourself...

Also if you have any basic guidelines for adult game development you can write as well.
It's exactly the same than for the development of any other games, why should it be different ?

best_weter

Oct 22, 2017
Okay, thanks Winterfire, I'll look into it then.

AON, well this seems like a classic response on any dev forum, get a few insults and then maybe some advice is not a bad deal.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
AON, well this seems like a classic response on any dev forum, [...]
Not just dev forums, it apply to any place where slackers goes to be mouth feed. And strangely, those who come with the result of their previous failed own search generally get nice in depth answer, whatever how dumb or basic their question can be...

best_weter

Oct 22, 2017
I don't know what I did so wrong why I should be insulted I just wanted to learn first hand what is relevant and good, not always just by searching the internet you can get a good or relevant answer or solution

Reactions: Insomnimaniac Games

Insomnimaniac Games

Degenerate Handholder
Game Developer
May 25, 2017
I don't know what I did so wrong why I should be insulted I just wanted to learn first hand what is relevant and good, not always just by searching the internet you can get a good or relevant answer or solution
Don't worry about that guy, he's like that with everyone. This was an obvious place to ask such questions, you're good.