About DAZ

lostboy

Jul 9, 2017
Im attempting to get into creation and I have most of the materials I need but its gonna take time to learn it. I have a question though, it seems the vast majority of these games use DAZ models, textures etc...I can only guess that the Dev did this to expedite posting and or due to lack of creation abilities. My question is, if you go that route couldnt there be copyright issues etc for using there materials? Finally if you DL DAZ 3D are you limited to their creation materials only?

Thanks, just trying to clarify some things ahead of my "excursion" into this new venture...

Apr 18, 2021
TLDR: DAZ owns the assets but you pay for a license to use them. Always check a products license for applicable usage under "Terms of Use".

Legally speaking, buying assets like DAZ products is only buying a license to use the product which is still intellectually theirs. When purchasing you are signing an agreement called an End User License Agreement. Many of these products have a commercial license meaning you can use them to sell a product ie. your game. Usually the only stipulation is that you cannot repackage the asset and sell it directly yourself. There are many types of licenses ranging from Private, Commercial and Creative Commons (which also stipulates how it may be used). When in doubt, check the details of the particular product.
Generally stuff you buy from DAZ is safe to use to make and sell a game. This is not true of say, Skyrim + Mods which could theoretically be used to make a visual novel type game except that such licenses do not allow for that kind of use.
Read the last paragraph here for exact details.

No you are not limited only to their assets. There are many stores which sell assets that work with Daz Studio and or Poser such as Renderosity and Renderotica. You can load up any models into Daz studio like .obj files if you have the knowhow to make it work. They also have bridge software to export their models into Blender, Maya etc which you can then use other assets within. Again, up to each individual vendor what their asset is allowed to be used for.

Last edited:

Synx

Jul 30, 2018
As long as your making renders or animations with DAZ there isn't any copyright issues. Anything you create with DAZ is your own property and has 0 legal relations with DAZ or the assets used. This is writing in the DAZ lisence agreement.

If you wanna use the 3D models themselves in your game (not as renders but in an actual 3D game) you need to have an extra lisence. No idea if this is for each asset or just 1 since nobody is really making a 3D game.

rayminator

Engaged Member
Respected User
Sep 26, 2018
if you are planning make money off of your game then pay for the assets
if you are not planning make money off of your game then either pay for the assets or give them credits in the game credits or don't pay for them

best thing to do is check your country copyright laws as well

jamdan

Forum Fanatic
Sep 28, 2018
You don't need to pay for your assets, they can't prove you didn't buy them. If they did, most of these games wouldn't exist.

There are hundreds of assets available on this website to download, as well as other asset sharing sites.

https://f95zone.to/latest/#/cat=assets/page=1

As far as using other stuff, you can look into porting stuff into Daz. There are probably tutorials for that on the dev help board here. There are also a lot of other websites that create content for daz.

https://f95zone.to/forums/dev-help.113/
https://f95zone.to/forums/dev-tools-guides.44/

AnchovyFuta

Jun 25, 2021
You don't need to pay for your assets, they can't prove you didn't buy them. If they did, most of these games wouldn't exist.

There are hundreds of assets available on this website to download, as well as other asset sharing sites.

https://f95zone.to/latest/#/cat=assets/page=1

As far as using other stuff, you can look into porting stuff into Daz. There are probably tutorials for that on the dev help board here. There are also a lot of other websites that create content for daz.

https://f95zone.to/forums/dev-help.113/
https://f95zone.to/forums/dev-tools-guides.44/
I have been with this doubt for a while, can you really make renders using paid assets that you didn't buy and share those render that you did on sites like twitter or somewhere else or use them on games without having to worry about copyright or anything like that? I always think that it's O.K. as long as I don't use it on a non-commercial way but even so, this doubt keeps coming back a lot to me...

Liphisbus

May 28, 2020
I also had this doubt when I first started using Daz (This was basically 1 week ago but ok) and it IS okay to use it, it's not like they are going to ask every single person if they buyed their asset or not, there is a lot of people that do that... But I don't know if it is okay or not to use paid asset that you didn't buy in a commercial game...

Reactions: AnchovyFuta

lostboy

Jul 9, 2017
Man, what a bunch of great information. Im retired now and have been wanting to do this for some years. I have a computer service background so Im not a complete noob. Im getting my feet wet with C#. I have Zbrush and today just decided to go ahead and get Maya 2022. Its obviously gonna take some time to get up to speed on these programs but I have plenty to allott toward learning them. My thinking on Daz was it might be a bit easier to get something together using their stuff for now so I can see structure etc. I have absolutely no plans of selling any game I might create. If I do manage to get very good with creating assests etc I may change my mind about it but thats down the road a ways.. The next step is figuring out how to assemble all the pieces into an actual workable game. Throughout all this Im likely to bend you guys ears a bit but I promise not to overdo it. Thanks soooo much guys, your posts have been encouraging and absolutely invaluable...

Last edited: