About Itch.io

Thomas Turbating

Game Developer
Dec 2, 2019
I'm really a fan of Itch.io and I've worked with this site before, when I was doing a project that wasn't adult content.
Now that I've started creating an adult project, I'd like to continue using it, however some people have reported that when receiving payments using the Itch.io + Paypal combination, you may be banned from Paypal due to their terms of use restricting adult content.

Despite this, I noticed several adult content creators on Itch.io using the payment system where Itch.io collects the money and then passes it on to you.
Would this way (Itch.io collecting) be a way to avoid problems with Paypal, since Itch does not expose what product you are selling on their platform?

Have any of you ever used this scheme?
Has anyone experienced any such problem?
Can you tell if our case (adult gaming) is an exception to the restrictions of the Paypal terms of use?

CocoVC

Aug 10, 2018
In the 1 year that I have used itch.io and linked it to my PayPal account, I haven't gotten any restrictions on my PayPal account. Then again the content I put on itch.io fits Patreon's guidelines, so I don't know what would happen if you posted non-Patreon friendly content.
People who post non-Patreon friendly content have moved their content to SubscribeStar, which does not pay out to PayPal.

Reactions: Thomas Turbating

Thomas Turbating

Game Developer
Dec 2, 2019
I understand.
I will follow your advice and try to keep my content Patreon friendly.
Thanks for the answer!

AnchovyFuta

Jun 25, 2021
A friend of mine uses the direct payment option (I think there is one like that, you don't need help of itch and the payment goes direct to you) and they didn't have any problems as far as I know, of course they didn't post anything hardcore such as lolicon content/zoophilia or anything close to that (they did post some incest games in there and no problems on their side) so I don't think you will have a problem with it but who knows...

HighMatrix

Aug 14, 2020
Not sure if it could help when you use a payment service like paymentwall. My idea is that it is maybe possible to make the payment processes more intransparent for paypal, if there is a service between paypal and itch.io or patreon.

As far as I know they don't care much about what kind of products will done with their payments, as far as it's not in accordance with anti-money laundering or counter-terrorist financing regulations.. but idk the exact terms..