About moral rules, ethics, and so on

Ass prefer

Engaged Member
Sep 30, 2022
It's all such bullshit. All these are just recommendations and not strict rules to follow and stick to them. I understand politeness, but such rules as helping someone and loving a stranger while in some kind of team, for example at work or school, are complete bullshit. I grew up in an environment where all this was successfully ignored.
What am I trying to say? I find it vile and disgusting. But maybe it was different for you?

Pigeon2Play

Game Developer
Mar 12, 2024
Usually rules exist to create a certain level of order, without that order it would be difficult for each person to peacefully live in that environment (judging at a high level concept).

General rules can be easily broken if the individuals in your environment reach a mutual agreement about breaking them

tanstaafl

Oct 29, 2018
Irony: Not realizing that if you are in an environment that collectively rejects commonly held morals and ethics, that environment will have it's own self contained morals and ethics. Or it's an environment made up of an individual.

Ass prefer

Engaged Member
Sep 30, 2022
Usually rules exist to create a certain level of order, without that order it would be difficult for each person to peacefully live in that environment (judging at a high level concept).

General rules can be easily broken if the individuals in your environment reach a mutual agreement about breaking them
In my understanding, the rules are designed to protect the weak.

tanstaafl

Oct 29, 2018
In my understanding, the rules are designed to protect the weak.
Protecting the weak is a relatively new thing for humans. There are instances in romantic literature, but not so much in actual history until the latest century.

Ass prefer

Engaged Member
Sep 30, 2022
That most of the rules this post is originally about (basic morals and ethics) were established well before humans gave a damn about protecting the weak.
Then I won't understand who they were created for then.

tanstaafl

Oct 29, 2018
Morals weren't created. They evolved over thousands of years of human emotions, and the need to collaborate to survive.
Truth. And depending on which human philosophy you believe, for very different basic reasons. (The two schools basically divide into 1. Humans are evil animals naturally. 2. Humans are good naturally and made evil by societies)

• Thinking Face
Reactions: Insomnimaniac Games

Insomnimaniac Games

Degenerate Handholder
Game Developer
May 25, 2017
Well, in the modern world, it is no longer necessary to cooperate for the sake of survival.
So you don't need a farmer to grow food? You don't need a carpenter to build your house? You don't need workers to maintain sewage systems, and purify drinking water? You cooperate with other people everyday. Just because you don't see them, doesn't mean they aren't there.

tanstaafl

Oct 29, 2018
So you don't need a farmer to grow food? You don't need a carpenter to build your house? You don't need workers to maintain sewage systems, and purify drinking water? You cooperate with other people everyday. Just because you don't see them, doesn't mean they aren't there.
Let's not forget about all the murder, rape, fire, and theft if everyone everywhere abandoned all morals and ethics.

Insomnimaniac Games

Degenerate Handholder
Game Developer
May 25, 2017
Let's not forget about all the murder, rape, fire, and theft if everyone everywhere abandoned all morals and ethics.
True. It's not laws that stop most people from doing these things. It's our own morality that gives us a natural aversion to these acts.

Reactions: tanstaafl

tanstaafl

Oct 29, 2018
True. It's not laws that stop most people from doing these things. It's our own morality that gives us a natural aversion to these acts.
Go back far enough and you'll find lawlessness with very little murder (comparatively to what you'd expect...there was obviously murder). It was never laws that stopped people it was societal norms and morals. And the knowledge that if you went against those norms and morals you'd probably get hung from a tree (or drowned, or buried, or some other awful crap that was common at the time/place)

Ass prefer

Engaged Member
Sep 30, 2022
Who says it doesn't exist? Can you prove to me that this happens extremely rarely and not every second somewhere near you? No, you can't :)