About render quality

XephonDev

Game Developer
Dec 1, 2020
Hey all!

I have some questions about render. So, all in all, my GPU suck and it is an Nvidia GTX 1050. Rendering on Iray is emmm, like 30 minutes on 200 samples. Going to the main problem.
Here is render
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

What do you think about the quality and whether this would be acceptable for a VN game? If not, what do you recommend?
It is Filament PBR with some enhancements. Still instant render on 4k. I'm very interested to hear your opinion

Baka_Energy_studios

Formerly 'Baka plays'
Game Developer
Aug 31, 2017
From my noobish POV this looks good. Just the jagged shadows and the clipping dress needs refining.
Pretty nice for a filament render.

XephonDev

Game Developer
Dec 1, 2020
From my noobish POV this looks good. Just the jagged shadows and the clipping dress needs refining.
Pretty nice for a filament render.
I know the dress is clipping. This is easy to fix. Anyway, thanks for your opinion. And this is a fact, I need to work with shadows.

GNVE

Jul 20, 2018
Yes your quality is good enough for a VN. It's not so much about what hardware you have but how you use it. Own whatever quality you can bring. Work within your constraints (A lesson I should learn myself :ROFLMAO:). That's why many non adult indie dev's go for a retro style (Shovel Knight, Stardew Valley FTL etc) it looks good and is achievable within their budget. Try to find a style that is easy on your hardware but still looks good. E.g. a more cartoony style. I for instance have gotten some interesting results with almost no iterations and the denoiser on giving an almost painting kinda quality.
You can also make sure that your compositions are amazing and get a wow factor from that rather than the base quality.
Besides If you can't compete on graphics you can compete elsewhere. many VN's do well because their story is great even if their graphics are a little lacking.

XephonDev

Game Developer
Dec 1, 2020
Yes your quality is good enough for a VN. It's not so much about what hardware you have but how you use it. Own whatever quality you can bring. Work within your constraints (A lesson I should learn myself :ROFLMAO:). That's why many non adult indie dev's go for a retro style (Shovel Knight, Stardew Valley FTL etc) it looks good and is achievable within their budget. Try to find a style that is easy on your hardware but still looks good. E.g. a more cartoony style. I for instance have gotten some interesting results with almost no iterations and the denoiser on giving an almost painting kinda quality.
You can also make sure that your compositions are amazing and get a wow factor from that rather than the base quality.
Besides If you can't compete on graphics you can compete elsewhere. many VN's do well because their story is great even if their graphics are a little lacking.
This is true, I don't like photorealistic graphics. All in all thanks for your opinion. I hope my work will stand up to the story