Seeking Action-packed pixel-art roguelike (including non-ero)

Pretentious Goblin

Devoted Member
Nov 3, 2017
I'm looking for something in the vein of Enter the Gungeon or Risk of Rain. Thing is, I don't like how random both of these games are when it comes to improving/arming your character during a run, especially Risk of Rain. A more rigid class system or modular (and not random) upgrade system would be welcome. Doesn't have to be sex-based at all, but needs to be an action-roguelike and pixel-art.

Reactions: ivannrajanaga

Pretentious Goblin

Devoted Member
Nov 3, 2017
Rogue Legacy
Rogue Legacy 2
iirc it's better because it doesn't have the same amount of buffs you pick up during a game. Still sucks a little that they give you a random selection of classes and traits for each run, but better than most I've tried.

ivannrajanaga

Jun 28, 2021
I think my other message didn't go through but I said Streets of Rogue might be something you want. It is a lot of randomness though, and I haven't played it myself I have only seen it.
Streets of Rogue are pretty good, been played it since 2017, the randomness and openness of the game made me addicted. Even i finished all of the characters (basically class) so many times that i lost count, not mentioning that you do have choices which upgrades that you'll took. Now i just waiting Skyline stable enough that it'll managed to played the Switch version so i can play it on the go

Reactions: Pretentious Goblin

test011

Jan 10, 2018
I'm looking for something in the vein of Enter the Gungeon or Risk of Rain. Thing is, I don't like how random both of these games are when it comes to improving/arming your character during a run, especially Risk of Rain. A more rigid class system or modular (and not random) upgrade system would be welcome. Doesn't have to be sex-based at all, but needs to be an action-roguelike and pixel-art.
Noita (highly recommended)

ivannrajanaga

Jun 28, 2021
Have you tried Binding of Isaac (top down shooter), Nuclear Throne (Enter the Gungeon ancestor) ,and Vagante (side scroller)? It's pretty fun from my experience

test011

Jan 10, 2018
Considering every pixel in that game is an element by itself, ye, seems pretty chaotic and fun from what I've seen
The game allows you to get very creative with its environment thanks to that.
For example you can craft a wand that spawns water, then you can craft 2nd wand that shoots electricity, fill up some spaces with water and electrocute your enemies. Or maybe craft a wand that shoots laser that cuts trough all materials, carve a way trough the level walls with it or burry enemies under sand that was level above them but you have cut out the floor beneath it.
You can really let your imagination run wild in that game, especially with mods that allow you to pick some specializations pre-run and limit the RNG.