Ren'Py Adding gameplay elements in renpy and what's your favorite

smuttykyle

Dec 15, 2019
So I'm in the planning stage of making a renpy game/vn and just wanted some ideas of adding gameplay elements to the story. I know of a few minigames renpy can do like a clicker game or a dice game and I know the common thing is a branching narrative with multiple ending, but I wanted to know if there are any others and what type of gameplay elements people actually like in a renpy game and what I should avoid/ people just find annoying.

If it helps, I plan on making a slice of life game, probably with an office setting with no fantasy or sci fi elements. Also, my renpy coding abilities are pretty limited but I am of course willing and eager to learn more.

Xomap

May 22, 2020
That's a very broad and subjective question... There are basically infinite variations on the same principles and there isn't a formula or a way to summarize them all...
I really like minigames, loads of different variables and actions that affect gameplay and branching like love, affection, energy, etc, scavenger hunts, different locations, meaningful multiple endings (not the ones that are basically the same thing with a different setting), interactive simulations with a high degree of freedom (not just a button to do this and another to do that) and usually I try to optimize everything, that means being able to access different branches, try different options, achievements and high scores.
But even the things I like have drawbacks, like a lot of variables usually comes with a grind, branching means redoing boring parts (also a grind), costly development (which means it takes a long time for the game to be finished, usually paid and generally inaccessible to a lot of people), boring tutorials, visual clutter, having to return to the same location over and over, pixel hunting, etc.
I believe the most important thing in a VN, aside from the story itself, is interaction, the more the merrier, so that it engages the player and lessens the grinding effect where you feel like you're just repeating the same task without a payoff.

Reactions: smuttykyle