Adding sound to an old game

closetpervert904

Oct 6, 2018
I know VERY little of coding and programming. I know sound very well. I have always had a soft spot for Dusty's Castle. I was wondering, how difficult would it be to go find those old silent games add sound to them? If it's doable then I wouldn't mind doing this for multiple games. Mods, I think this is the right place but I'm not 100% sure. If it isn't my apologies, please let me know where I should've posted.

Reactions: Zachy

rayminator

Engaged Member
Respected User
Sep 26, 2018
depends on what engine the games are made from the game that made from renpy would be easier to do then the game that are made from unity/rpgm

closetpervert904

Oct 6, 2018
depends on what engine the games are made from the game that made from renpy would be easier to do then the game that are made from unity/rpgm
That makes sense. Realistically I expect pretty much all games in Ren'py to have sound. Are you saying older unity/ flash games wouldnt be possible or advisable for a beginner?

AnaisNon

Nov 23, 2020
Are you saying older unity/ flash games wouldnt be possible or advisable for a beginner?
Changing most games without access to the source code isn't advisable for a beginner (even experienced programmers would generally stay well clear of it). Some games have been designed with modding in mind, and those can be easily edited (within bounds). And some games are built in ways that make them easy to edit (like many games made in HTML/Javascript).

But flash, unity, and renpy (I think) are all compiled - the code has been crunched down for the computer and isn't human-readable any more. You have to try to decompile it first, which sounds like a great idea but, in my limited experience, you just end up with a hideous mess. Even Twine games (though not technically "compiled") are minified, so editing them is a nightmare.

Sorry. I know that's not what you wanted to hear. On the up-side, it gives you a great excuse to start making your own games inspired by those games you love ;)

closetpervert904

Oct 6, 2018
Changing most games without access to the source code isn't advisable for a beginner (even experienced programmers would generally stay well clear of it). Some games have been designed with modding in mind, and those can be easily edited (within bounds). And some games are built in ways that make them easy to edit (like many games made in HTML/Javascript).

But flash, unity, and renpy (I think) are all compiled - the code has been crunched down for the computer and isn't human-readable any more. You have to try to decompile it first, which sounds like a great idea but, in my limited experience, you just end up with a hideous mess. Even Twine games (though not technically "compiled") are minified, so editing them is a nightmare.

Sorry. I know that's not what you wanted to hear. On the up-side, it gives you a great excuse to start making your own games inspired by those games you love ;)

thanks forbeing straight with me

Reactions: AnaisNon