Advice needed for translating ingrish into English in completed Renpy games

Teflonmike

Jul 15, 2019
One of my favourite games has a very bad Russian to English translation... Wrong spelling, wrong verbs or nouns etc... So I wondered how easy/difficult it would be to edit the text files? to correct these faults.. Which for me would make the game a little more enjoyable.

TIA

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
One of my favourite games has a very bad Russian to English translation... Wrong spelling, wrong verbs or nouns etc... So I wondered how easy/difficult it would be to edit the text files? to correct these faults.. Which for me would make the game a little more enjoyable.
It's really easy, since Ren'py games have their sources directly editable in play text with the help of any text editor.
The way to do it depend if the game is directly in English or have an English translation. If it's directly in English, then just edit all the .rpy files in the "[name of the game]/game" folder, and correct the sentences. If it's a game with an English translation, then you'll just have to edit the .rpy files that are in the "[name of the game]/game/tl/English" folder.
If there's just .rpa or .rpyc files, use a tool like unren.bat to retrieve the said .rpy files.

Teflonmike

Jul 15, 2019
It's really easy, since Ren'py games have their sources directly editable in play text with the help of any text editor.
The way to do it depend if the game is directly in English or have an English translation. If it's directly in English, then just edit all the .rpy files in the "[name of the game]/game" folder, and correct the sentences. If it's a game with an English translation, then you'll just have to edit the .rpy files that are in the "[name of the game]/game/tl/English" folder.
If there's just .rpa or .rpyc files, use a tool like unren.bat to retrieve the said .rpy files.
Thanks a lot, didn't think for a moment it would be as easy as you say.. I will experiment with it this evening and let you know how it went