Seeking Advice on recommendations for possible softwares to use for a begineer in making games

Viltok

Jan 25, 2023
Ok, firstly, I just want to apologize if I am posting this post in the wrong thread. Now, as the title has suggested, I am aspiring to perhaps create my own hentai game, to be completely honest, I have never coded before, so. With that in mind, I have been exploring the options about RPG maker software in specific, specifically RPG maker MV. I haven't done much research as of now, as I've been waiting to get other matters settled in my life first, but. Again, as the title has suggested, I have aspired to do so, I have written erotica for about a few years now, and, as of two years ago. I have also been getting into drawing. I'm still very much a beginner, having done both drawings on paper, and beginning to do more on adobe photoshop. And so, with that in mind. I aspire to create this game, and fulfill my idea, I do not want to rush things, but of course. There are other things in my life that need my attention. And, even though there maybe weeks I don't want to do anything after work or school, and the stress may seem like it's compounding on me, I still want to give this my all and just enjoy the nature that is to create, no matter it's intrinsic value of the finished product. So, my apologies for the rant thus far, but, I just wanted to get this statement out there, so people know that I do not care for the possible time and effort I need to put into the project, as long as I can at least feel I have done my best to create a quality one at least to the best of my current abilities to whenever that maybe. If by any chance someone can give me any advice for possible software for me to use, and/or resources outside of the site I can look into to further my study into finding a software, I would most appreciate it, any and all advice would be greatly appreciated, and I hope whomever may read this, that you have a nice day.

Gummiel

Jul 16, 2019
It really depends on how big and/or complex of a game you plan to make. RPGM is BY FAR the simplest to start making a game, but it also starts to choke if a game gets too big, yet if you get to that point moving to another engine at that point is pretty much pointless as you then would have to basically recreate the entire thing from scratch.

So yeah if you are planning on a relatively simple RPG game, go for RPGM. If you planning more of a VN Renpy seems to be the more popular choice (never worked with that myself, never been big into VN's in general). If you are planning something bigger or more complex of a game regardless of genre, you probably be better of with a "real" engine like Unity or Unreal Engine, though ofc there gonna be a bit more of a learning curve in that case

Reactions: Viltok

Viltok

Jan 25, 2023
It really depends on how big and/or complex of a game you plan to make. RPGM is BY FAR the simplest to start making a game, but it also starts to choke if a game gets too big, yet if you get to that point moving to another engine at that point is pretty much pointless as you then would have to basically recreate the entire thing from scratch.

So yeah if you are planning on a relatively simple RPG game, go for RPGM. If you planning more of a VN Renpy seems to be the more popular choice (never worked with that myself, never been big into VN's in general). If you are planning something bigger or more complex of a game regardless of genre, you probably be better of with a "real" engine like Unity or Unreal Engine, though ofc there gonna be a bit more of a learning curve in that case
ok, thank you for the advice, I greatly appreciate it, then. Since that would be the case, in my game I do plan to have a total of 3 main story events. Spanning through a total period of a month. Where you will need to make some choices, that'll influence the ending of the game and what you get, I am planning on putting 4 endings, with a possible 5th once I've got things under control that I kind of need to sort out still. I am also planning on putting about 6 sub events that'll trigger upon the purchase via a currency that you will accrue, that upon the purchase of one side of the spectrum of SAID item, locks the other. And, depending on what sub events you decide to trigger, they will also further influence the possible ending of the game, based on a specific percentage that is tracked through the game also based on your choices thus far through the main events and sub events. Of course, I am still kind of iffy on some things, and to be quite frank, I have the story idea down, but more of interactive game mechanics, I literally only JUST started putting them down on paper just a few hours ago. So, with everything that I told you, and my apologies for the any possible confusion, would I then be better off starting to try and build the game via through Renpy then? Or, do you mind giving me more specifics on what IS the limit on how complex you can make RPGM games. With the context I provided with the ideas I gave, albeit I do apologize with them being somewhat vague and /or unclear.

fantasmic

Nov 3, 2021
If you want to start taking meaningful steps towards becoming a game developer but don't have a concrete direction established yet then I strongly recommend you start by learning basic programming. You don't need to take a deep-dive into computer science or stress too much about which to language start with; learning the basics in any language will make your start significantly easier since you'll have a better idea of what the program is capable of and when you get stuck you'll be able to reduce a vague query ("How do I make it so a scene changes slightly based on things the player did in the past?") down to a specific one ("if-statement python").

Reactions: Gummiel and Viltok

Viltok

Jan 25, 2023
If you want to start taking meaningful steps towards becoming a game developer but don't have a concrete direction established yet then I strongly recommend you start by learning basic programming. You don't need to take a deep-dive into computer science or stress too much about which to language start with; learning the basics in any language will make your start significantly easier since you'll have a better idea of what the program is capable of and when you get stuck you'll be able to reduce a vague query ("How do I make it so a scene changes slightly based on things the player did in the past?") down to a specific one ("if-statement python").
Thank you, that DEFINETLY sounds like it can make all the difference sometimes when I am learning, rather or not it be through RPGM, RENPY, etc. I greatly appreciate the advice. With that in mind then, when I do start to learn just the basics of programming, and perhaps I want to get into learning a language, with the example you gave being python. As, with the idea for the game that I have and it's mechanics being influenced by said past events leading into it ending up one way or another, just out of curiosity, how hard would you say python is to learn then? I know that maybe a hard question to answer, as for all I know, it could be quite nuanced with the person learning it and the rules of the language I guess or something, but, in general. How tough is it to learn?

haksaw

Oct 10, 2019
Every time I needed to code smth, be it flash games, WoW addons or some AHK scripts, I always just looked up some particular functions that would help me with my current problem. Can't see why would it be different with something like Renpy, do you actually need to properly learn the language to do stuff with it? Highly doubt that.

smirk

Jul 2, 2019
Sounds to me like what you're planning would fit into a VN-like format; so I'd go with RenPy or Twine + Sugarcube. Python is not a bad place to start if you want to learn programming with no prior experience; it's a pretty forgiving language, easy to get started with, and there are tons of resources online to help you out. It's also what powers RenPy so there's that. Twine/SC is nice in that it doesn't really require much (if any) programming knowledge in order to make a simple game; but it can be extended with custom JavaScript if needed. Once you have a decent grasp on one of those languages, learning another one will be a breeze.

Everybody learns programming best in different ways. I came to Python from a C/C++ background and wanted to skip all the general programming fluff that textbooks usually throw at you for the first 3-4 chapters - so I went with a book called "Learn Python the Hard Way". It might work for you if you're somebody who likes to dive straight into programming and learn along the way (i.e. you have ADD like me). Otherwise, HumbleBundle runs Python, JS and general programming bundles regularly so might want to keep an eye out for a good deal there.

fantasmic

Nov 3, 2021
how hard would you say python is to learn then? I know that maybe a hard question to answer, as for all I know, it could be quite nuanced with the person learning it and the rules of the language I guess or something, but, in general. How tough is it to learn?
I can't really tell you how hard it is to learn... since I don't know Python. However, it's designed to be readable and is considered to be one of the more approachable languages, so there are many resources available. is often recommended and I like the approach of using programs which are potentially useful in your everyday life

Viltok

Jan 25, 2023
Sounds to me like what you're planning would fit into a VN-like format; so I'd go with RenPy or Twine + Sugarcube. Python is not a bad place to start if you want to learn programming with no prior experience; it's a pretty forgiving language, easy to get started with, and there are tons of resources online to help you out. It's also what powers RenPy so there's that. Twine/SC is nice in that it doesn't really require much (if any) programming knowledge in order to make a simple game; but it can be extended with custom JavaScript if needed. Once you have a decent grasp on one of those languages, learning another one will be a breeze.

Everybody learns programming best in different ways. I came to Python from a C/C++ background and wanted to skip all the general programming fluff that textbooks usually throw at you for the first 3-4 chapters - so I went with a book called "Learn Python the Hard Way". It might work for you if you're somebody who likes to dive straight into programming and learn along the way (i.e. you have ADD like me). Otherwise, HumbleBundle runs Python, JS and general programming bundles regularly so might want to keep an eye out for a good deal there.
haha, I might definitely pick up that book then. As I pretty much just dove straight in when I was first learning how to draw, as well as learning adobe photoshop, so I most definitely will give that book a look when my next pay check comes in. Now, and forgive me if i'm being dumb here as I know virtually zilch about programming of course, i'm guessing humble bundle is the place where I may go and buy the tool to start programming in python? Am I correct in that assumption? And if so, besides python, is there anything else I may need to buy to start?

Viltok

Jan 25, 2023
I can't really tell you how hard it is to learn... since I don't know Python. However, it's designed to be readable and is considered to be one of the more approachable languages, so there are many resources available. is often recommended and I like the approach of using programs which are potentially useful in your everyday life
Thank you so much for your help thus far nevertheless! Once I feel I have everything all settled to begin, I'll definitely remember the link you sent to see if there is any information that will be helpful for me whenever I may get stuck. Thank you.

Viltok

Jan 25, 2023
Every time I needed to code smth, be it flash games, WoW addons or some AHK scripts, I always just looked up some particular functions that would help me with my current problem. Can't see why would it be different with something like Renpy, do you actually need to properly learn the language to do stuff with it? Highly doubt that.
Well, whatever may come. Hearing you say that has made me all the more confidant, and hopefully I won't have such a hard time with it. If anything nevertheless, I guess I can kind of keep it as a side creative thing to do when i'm not in the mood to draw, but still in the mood to create nevertheless. Thank you.

smirk

Jul 2, 2019
Now, and forgive me if i'm being dumb here as I know virtually zilch about programming of course, i'm guessing humble bundle is the place where I may go and buy the tool to start programming in python? Am I correct in that assumption? And if so, besides python, is there anything else I may need to buy to start?
No, you don't need to buy anything to get started with Python - it's all free downloads. a video on how to setup a development environment, you can grab the software for free . Corey has a lot of tutorial videos on Python, worth checking it out if you're someone who's comfortable learning that way. As you start making more complex stuff than "Hello World!" you'll probably also want an integrated development environment of some kind. I use as it has plugins for most languages, but there are lots of other (and less complex) editors you can use.

I just recommended Humble Bundle for their e-book deals really - they sell games, books, comics and stuff like that, often in neat bundles following a theme and at a heavily discounted price. Their currently active book bundles are listed . Books are the only thing that will cost you any money as far as learning programming goes - everything else should be free.

Last edited:

Gummiel

Jul 16, 2019
i'm guessing humble bundle is the place where I may go and buy the tool to start programming in python? Am I correct in that assumption? And if so, besides python, is there anything else I may need to buy to start?
Not really, or kinda at best I geuss.
Humble bundle is mainly a online gamestore (mainly as steam keys(Legit and safe ones)). However yeah they do sell various other things related to tech including programming books every now and then.

As I said earlier I haven't really done anything with Renpy and VN's in general, (which is sounds like is the direction you are going in?), so I don't know if it may have an inbuilt code editor that can be used or not. Most general IDE ("Integrated Development Environment", basically software packages made to write code in), are free. The one I hear spoked of most for Python in general is PyCharm I think, so try look that up maybe if you need something outside Renpy for writing any code

Viltok

Jan 25, 2023
No, you don't need to buy anything to get started with Python - it's all free downloads. a video on how to setup a development environment, you can grab the software for free . Corey has a lot of tutorial videos on Python, worth checking it out if you're someone who's comfortable learning that way. As you start making more complex stuff than "Hello World!" you'll probably also want an integrated development environment of some kind. I use as it has plugins for most languages, but there are lots of other (and less complex) editors you can use.

I just recommended Humble Bundle for their e-book deals really - they sell games, books, comics and stuff like that, often in neat bundles following a theme and at a heavily discounted price. Their currently active book bundles are listed . Books are the only thing that will cost you any money as far as learning programming goes - everything else should be free.
Thank you, I greatly appreciate all the resources you have provided! Sorry I haven't been able to express my thanks earlier. I've been hammered by work recently, so I REALLY appreciate the extra mile you've done by linking all the resources you have mentioned!

Reactions: smirk

Viltok

Jan 25, 2023
Not really, or kinda at best I geuss.
Humble bundle is mainly a online gamestore (mainly as steam keys(Legit and safe ones)). However yeah they do sell various other things related to tech including programming books every now and then.

As I said earlier I haven't really done anything with Renpy and VN's in general, (which is sounds like is the direction you are going in?), so I don't know if it may have an inbuilt code editor that can be used or not. Most general IDE ("Integrated Development Environment", basically software packages made to write code in), are free. The one I hear spoked of most for Python in general is PyCharm I think, so try look that up maybe if you need something outside Renpy for writing any code
Thank you, I appreciate the advice you've provided thus far, and I apologize I haven't been able to express my gratitude earlier, I've been rather hammered with work recently sadly to do so until now.