Advice on starting

Rebeldad

Aug 7, 2018
I have downloaded Daz3d and ready to watch some new guy tutorials but I see just a lot of things to download such as charm hair FBX plugins etc. Did not make sense to download them all if I am not going to use them. So looking for advice on what essentials I should look for.
Got some storyboard apps to play with also since that is likely the first thing to worry about, but figured it might take a bit before someone kind enough would respond to this.
Thanks Rebeldad aka Chuck

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
Unless you are bandwidth limited on your internet connection, or are hurting for storage space, yeah I'd recommend grabbing all of the freebies that are model oriented at least. You never know when you may find use for one of them in the future, for some side character, etc...

As for tutorials, etc. that's entirely up to you. There is a LOT of Daz info on the internet, along with the free downloadable Daz guides, and each have their focus. So make your own call on these, based on what you think you need to learn more about, or are at least have an interest in.

FBX is apparently some sort of bridge program for exporting Daz content for other programs, using 'industry standard' conventions in the coding. To be honest, I've never consciously used the plugin, but the overall package size is relatively tiny compared to some other Daz assets, so not much space overhead, hence no regrets on my end. I'd rather have it and not use it then not have it should I ever need it, at least when it comes to freebies.

Keep in mind that Daz products are retired from the Daz store from time to time, so any particular freebie that you see today may disappear in the future. Food for thought.

Reactions: Rich and Rebeldad

Rebeldad

Aug 7, 2018
Thanks..yea I am trying to get Daz3d to work now LOL. seems some error so got a ticket submitted to figure it out. No biggie time to play and work on a story. Appreciate your help.

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
While FBX products will sometimes work with Daz, they can be quirky, since the FBX file format is different than Daz's, and the transformation between the two isn't perfect. There are TONS of Already-in-Daz-format products "available" - check out the "Asset Releases" forum here. Those would get you past any issues related to format conversion.

f95zoneuser463

Game Developer
Aug 14, 2017
Keep in mind that Daz products are retired from the Daz store from time to time, so any particular freebie that you see today may disappear in the future. Food for thought.
Now I'm curious, so ... if a project relies on a "freebie" and for some reason a PC dies ... assuming everything must be reinstalled ... by that time the "freebie" is no longer in the shop and the project would be screwed? Or is it only gone if you never did "buy" it?
(I should be safe since I backup all DAZ related folders with a custom script.)

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
Now I'm curious, so ... if a project relies on a "freebie" and for some reason a PC dies ... assuming everything must be reinstalled ... by that time the "freebie" is no longer in the shop and the project would be screwed? Or is it only gone if you never did "buy" it?
(I should be safe since I backup all DAZ related folders with a custom script.)
Time for the usual PSA:
Do regular backups of your Daz files!
Nothing sucks more than needing to revisit an old scene, only to find that you lost the .duf scene file you spent hours on. This should also include your install packages.
(you mentioned doing backups, good plan! Just mentioning this for other readers mainly)

As for 'retired' files, Checking my Daz library now...
OK, so there was a product I remember from last year that was pulled shortly after release, due to a dispute r.e. the 'rights' to the product. It is still in my Daz3D product library, and I can still download it manually (package is still on the Daz server).
THAT being said, I wouldn't rely on Daz keeping a product on their server indefinitely. As for other sites (Renderosity, etc.) I've seen freebies pulled from time to time, as well as other products. At that point, the links to download those products are pretty much gone forever, although if you are lucky the wayback machine and other archive sites can sometimes help with this.

AGAIN, back to the PSA:
Do regular backups!

Reactions: f95zoneuser463