RPGM [Advice Request] Games Translation As An Income Source

Yuri124

Dec 21, 2018
Hi Everyone,

Hope you all are doing great!

This is my first post although I've been a member here for more than 2 years now. I usually preferer passive observation :alien: Not anymore though :D

Anyways, I have a question today and need experts advice here. I love RPG Maker games, I've been learning Japanese for a while now to the level to be able to translate part of it and understand some of the other part. I know the tools that can be used and familiar with troubleshooting and the technicals of such games. And most importantly, can spare some time :coffee:

I also can't help but notice the amount of translation requests for Japanese games.

My question is, will translating Japanese RBG Maker games to English be a good idea as a source of income? For example, through Patreon gamers support.

Do you have any advice to someone considering this option to both do the thing he loves, help others with their requests, and support himself financially?

Thanks.

Civilincubus

Aug 23, 2018
You should consider reaching out to =Together=, , and then ask this question. I suspect it's viable, but the trick of it I imagine is to start probono until you build enough of a following. That may also ensure that you know you'll still enjoy it or can continue with it when it changes from feeling fun and interesting as a hobby to at times tedious as work.

Yuri124

Dec 21, 2018
You should consider reaching out to =Together=, , and then ask this question. I suspect it's viable, but the trick of it I imagine is to start probono until you build enough of a following. That may also ensure that you know you'll still enjoy it or can continue with it when it changes from feeling fun and interesting as a hobby to at times tedious as work.
Thanks for the advice. Yes true, however I won't know unless I try.

I also noticed =Together= before and they seem to be doing a good job. However, it's not clear to me why you said that I should reach out to them before asking this question. Is there something I need to know about them?

Silentce

Quiet Eldritch Horror
Modder
Uploader
Jan 2, 2018
My question is, will translating Japanese RBG Maker games to English be a good idea as a source of income? For example, through Patreon gamers support.
That depends on your skills and your commitment. if you put out good content then it is possible to earn some money out of translations, I wouldn't expect it to be enough to live off of but there are translators who have built up a reputation who make some money translating.

I generally don't recommend people go into translating expecting to make money but rather do it out of an interest in translating games you like, after you've built up reputation for good work some people might consider throwing you a couple bucks.

Civilincubus

Aug 23, 2018
Thanks for the advice. Yes true, however I won't know unless I try.

I also noticed =Together= before and they seem to be doing a good job. However, it's not clear to me why you said that I should reach out to them before asking this question. Is there something I need to know about them?
Nah, didn't mean anything by it. They seem like outstanding and I assume casual translators. Also if you want probono exp to see if you enjoy it, you could try seeing if Arzor for Monster Girl Quest Paradox needs help. Just a thought. Regardless, whatever you end up trying, thank you and I hope you enjoy the process!