Advise on game creation

Mister.R

Jul 24, 2020
I would like to create a game as a hobby and actually have manage to create a somewhat functioning game in unity with movement, dialogues, questing and rewards system. The issue is that I lack the skills to 3d model and animate characters. I am able to model inanimate objects such as furniture, buildings and any other objects that is not humanoid. I know that I can commission an artist to 3d model and animate but they can get pricey and I do not the funds to do so. Came across Character Creator 4 (CC4) by Reallusion. Has anyone used/using this? What are you thoughts on using for beginner/hobbyist and can I use it for cartoonish art-style rather than realistic?

Kindly let me know your thoughts on this and any advice are welcome!

Thanks!

n00bi

Nov 24, 2022
Learning to animate is a skillset that takes time and dedications.
making good animations takes time. many small details in body movement and so forth.

Anywho. i would say. find your models. there is a ton of sites that offer free models. altho at misc quality.
I dont know this CC4 program tho
then just use Blender, Cinema4d or tools alike and setup a rig template for your characters..
Heck you can even use your webcam to create body/facial animations. altho thats another topic.

I am a C4d user myself and creating toon style art is rather simple as it has a sketch and toon shader that you can customize until the cows come home. Blender probably have something like it.

my point is. if you plan on doing 3d and animations. just dive into it and learn a proper modelling tool.
my 2nd suggestion is. if you are more of a coder than an artist. i suggest to team up with a 3d artist.

DDragon84

Dec 16, 2022
I would like to create a game as a hobby and actually have manage to create a somewhat functioning game in unity with movement, dialogues, questing and rewards system. The issue is that I lack the skills to 3d model and animate characters. I am able to model inanimate objects such as furniture, buildings and any other objects that is not humanoid. I know that I can commission an artist to 3d model and animate but they can get pricey and I do not the funds to do so. Came across Character Creator 4 (CC4) by Reallusion. Has anyone used/using this? What are you thoughts on using for beginner/hobbyist and can I use it for cartoonish art-style rather than realistic?

Kindly let me know your thoughts on this and any advice are welcome!

Thanks!
CC4 is fine and all, but you will still need add working genitals to their characters in a modelling software such as blender/maya/max.