Ren'Py - Abandoned - Afterglow [Ch. 3] [GaussianFracture]

1. 4.00 star(s)

funfetish

edit:
    They're really working on this game! lovely, will give it another chance.

've watched the development for a few years, and to see a demo that is mediocre at best is a shame

the good:
    - Unique art style
    - Sexy characters
    - dev seems to be really methodical

the bad:
    - All characters look alike
    - It's buggy and clunky as fuck
    - no sex (yet)
    - Production seems slow (years for a demo)

Judging by the concepts and arts i would happily pay monthly for this on Patreon, but the game itself isn't remotely worth it

My advice: get a team together and go at it because the concept seems sweet!
  2. 4.00 star(s)

amBest

I've come to appreciate the team that's making this game quite a bit. They seem really cool, upstanding degenerates.

I start with the team though, because there isn't much of a game. It's the definition of a demo.

The tech is okay. I'll never agree with unity VN and I've almost never liked a sandbox. That being said, the tech is good ... Ren'Py would have been bettter.

The art is amazing, some of the best I've ever seen. If you like milfs, it has the best milfs.

But there isn't much here yet. Try it for yourself, bookmark it, maybe put it in your calendar to try it again in a year. But now-now. Not much of anything to look at.
  3. 1.00 star(s)

chimichunga

I would not recommend this game to anyone in the current state. The characters look extremely derivative of one another, just slightly altered hair and eye colors.

The game is a sandbox (a clunky one at that), although this structure adds nothing to the gameplay. You click between 3 locations, to reveal maybe 45 renders? I think the only reason this is a sandbox is to hide the lack of content in this release which would be laughable as a VN. Based on what others have stated on the length of the games development cycle this very troublesome.

As for the sex, there is none. Not even some itsy-bitsy- fluffy-softcore voyeurism, so don't expect otherwise.

Hopefully things improve but I found it to be a very disappointing game.
  4. 4.00 star(s)

Garrettino

Review of AFTERGLOW Version 0.2.0c (!Updated March 14 2021)
    {!= Indicates Updates, += Rating Improved, -=Rating Decreased}

Story[5star]: Despite what your personal tastes are for this "Genre" of Visual Novel, prologue and character development should be things you look out for when it comes to story. As most of us VN connoisseurs know, they don't always follow the atypical structure of say a Novel or Film, but we certainly look for at least a Conflict/Resolution basis. In lieu of slaying some dragon to win the princess, we often find subtle and less grandiose obstacles, like getting her to do anal or being open to a 3some. Regardless, we will be looking for these key focal points in the plot, as we get beyond this prologue. That being said, I was able to ultimately give this 5star, because of the slow pacing; which allowed me to gauge what to expect in the future as far as depth and commitment to character and world building. Not only does this pace give me the hope that we'll have a long adventure ahead of us, but it says the Devs understand delayed gratification and appreciate a slow cooked meal. !I will summarize both current and previous updates, as I skipped one. As we delve deeper into the interpersonal connections between the MC and his potential love interests (as well as female to female, surprisingly enough) it becomes quite clear that these Devs, the Writer in particular, seems to double down on their approach and hasn't caved into the unwarranted critiques about lack of GONZO, for lack of a better term. While they did offer a consolation of sorts, with an extremely spicy dream sequence, the fact that it didn't happen literally not only acts as clever loop-hole device, but also serves as an Hors D'oeuvres (appetizer) to appease those salivating, at least momentarily. The progress has seemed to indicate a potential Harem in the brewing (albeit a small one) and should give fans options, while still retaining it's original vision's mission statement, and former namesake. This story can never drop below 5 star.

Originality[5star]: This is where I would give 6stars+ if possible, as there is nothing else like it around. Not only has the Lead Designer created an original art style; combining 3D with an almost 2D expression palette, but has designed such a great leading character in Meg(an) that most of us can agree, we feel that she is gonna be iconic, at least within this niche sub-genre of gaming. !The computer as a revelation device, has been done in this genre, but it's also timely, no one will (or should) fault PCs and Phones as props anymore, this is where we are. What IS pretty novel, and what keeps the Originality of this title high and separate from the pack is the psychology involved. No, not just the oohhh scary suspense thriller trope other VNs have thrown in for edgy factor; I'm talking about real Psychology topics, like the Oedipus Complex that comes with the MC's inner turmoil, as he's come to see his Landlady as almost literally a "Mother" figure. These kinds of thought provoking issues that are done in such a thought-out way really clash with the almost cartoony aesthetic presented, but that contrast pushes it even further if you ask this reviewer.

Renders[5star]: Unlike most RenPy games, the uniquely modified Unity engine allows for some dynamic things we barely see like screen transitions and other small quality of life effects like gentle wind across tall grass, or falling granules of pollen. The use of "Rack Focus" is also very well done here, not overused, but noticeable, and adds a cinematic flair to the presentation. And lastly I would like to point out the variation in Character CG over BGs; while a lot of 3D models fall into the trap of subtle variations not being "Read" very clearly, the poses and other small shifts make each expression distinguishable from the next. !The artist has been playing with some color schemes to indicate dream sequences or other changes in perspective, motion lines, better/more use of Rack Focus, as well as varying camera angles to avoid the stock "Waist Shot" that plagues the Japanese VN template. All show signs of trying to keep the viewer engaged visually, to enhance the engrossing story. But who are we kidding: most fans here lean on the visuals first.

Performance[4star]: The UI, being custom built, is very unique and refreshing. The Programmer chose to remain slick, lean, and allows more Art to show forth, staying close to the edges and out of the way for the most part. The transitions are above and beyond what similar games even allow. The world map is pretty intuitive and simple, but navigates as intended. !I don't expect this rating to shift much, as is the nature of Unity, but I will be looking for the QOL and other improvements that sound like are in the works.

Bugs[
    4star]:
    !Version A was unplayable after a certain point. Version B was uploaded in a few short hours, and C within 24 hours of the update. C made everything working as intended, and this is a review of version C, so I have to give it up for the team's Coder for the dedicated quick-fix.
    +3 points for that, but it would have been a 1star Bug review if this were version A, as I would give any un-progressible Update. So staying with a 4star. Still waiting for that flawless update I know they have in them.

Grammar[5star]: As someone who is familiar with many forms of media translations, what I've found in a lot of these Lewd VNs, especially those with non-Native English speaking creators, is the poor grammar and understanding of the language. This game is clearly written by English speaking authors, who take their job seriously. !There was a lot of dialogue across 2 updates, nothing stood out which is great. It'll be pretty simple to drop a star when I come across anything that slipped by the proof-reading, but until then this can coast at 5. Up there with another author I can't mention.

Amount of Content
    [4star]: !The previous update was rather large, but this one was one of the smaller ones, so they almost cancel each other out. But I have to review the current so I'll drop this one a star. -1

Sound(NEW Category!) [1Star]: !I had already planned on adding this category to my review, because I felt they've had enough time to implement some form of sound by now, and to my surprise they just did in this very update. All that was added was a Foley track (ambient bg noises) but it's a start. Not much else, and for now it actually makes the experience worse (or it would have been 2 stars), but for every new additional component of sound added, I can start to add more stars. I can understand them not wanting to rush the Music, as so many of these VNs share the same tracks, so I look forward to see what their patience yields.

Voice Acting/*Animations: N/A
    While no Animated scenes are included yet, the Creator's background in Animation, and animation loops previewed in other sources leaves the player hopeful to the potential of them included in the future.

5+5+5+4+4+5+4+1= 33 /8=4.125 Average remains 4 Stars
  5. 5.00 star(s)

Assblaster the OG

Very diffrent to the usual Suspects.
    A bit of a slow burner, but definatly worth it. Makes what you get a lot more Rewarding and meaningful.
    Attractive Art direction, and alot of Potential.
    Looking forward to more Updates.

Community wise, very welcoming and all around helpful Community.
    The Release just started, but its already a Winner in my Books.
  6. 5.00 star(s)

Land Lady Lover

MILFs are THICK and the devs are actually working to deliver a complete product and aren't just using the patreon as a money printer. Not really any content as of now but when it comes it will be glorious. I want Meg to be my mommy
  7. 5.00 star(s)

biggienpac

As someone who has been a very keen observer of the game's concept (and later on, development) over the past 3 or so years I'm absolutely enthralled with how the game is set up to be released.

Rather than just have a one-and-done story progressing rapidly with no build-up for a /ss/-oriented game which is very much the norm rather than the exception, we have a smoothly progressing game set-up as slow-burner in the sense that the relationship between the MC and the other stacked babes in the game is developed overtime with a plot that is imminently intricate along with a sense of unpredictability without the sense of grinding whatsoever.

Since the games release, all 4 developers are constantly on the discord channel streaming the beautiful creation of the game which very much makes one content in the sense that the game will be getting future updates in a consistent manner, particularly if one is donating to it.

The devs are all down-to-earth and will spend hours sometimes chatting with you from everything about the game to personal life just as you were reminiscing with your BFF's from high school.

These guys deserve every penny you donate considering that the development of the story of the game (Wanderan and scribEye_Steak) took much longer than you would infer from just the very first release (0.1 alpha) along with the coding (Elvishious) and rigging/rendering/drawing made by the very man himself (GaussianFracture).

Anyways, any haters hating now are going to be the same who are very much going to be inevitably fapping away on their decades-old semen-stained computer chair in their mommas basement on this soon-to-be Magnum Opus of all these Chad-tier developers.
  8. 4.00 star(s)

jond2760

I understand that some commenters are dissapointed by the lack of content in this demo, but I think that what is here is really promising and compelling. The user interface is crisp and clear, the engine works great, I didn't encounter any bugs, and the art style is unique and fun. I'm excited to see where this goes.
  9. 5.00 star(s)

annnnttsss

It looks like you guys made a great team to work on this project where you established a plan to manage your workflow. It also looks like we are going to see updates on a monthly basis. So far you guys did a wonderful job, we have a great game in the making, keep going!!
  10. 5.00 star(s)

aknaross

Great game, I found things that I don't find very interesting in games of this theme very interesting, Please continue with the project.
    my god, I found this game great.
    I really want to see the next updates <3 <3
    ... As soon as possible I will try to help with money
  11. 1.00 star(s)

deltavega

Following the development for a very long time, I had high hopes for that game to be the one that would renew the genre and kick the forever bugging "the Twist" of his throne.
    Well, it's really disapointing knowing it won't even get close to it...

The game mechanics work fine, except the transitions that makes you skip text when you click to pass them. Renpy made the option to skip transitions for a reason. It's always the same problem with unity games. I hate being forced to look at a fading black screen.

The environment renders are bof, to many mesh in some places that makes them "unrealistic". For example the living room looks like a big company waiting room. A lot of stuffs have only a color as texture, check the picture where he fixes his bike... It looks like the first render of a 3d student after a few days at school.

The story is heavy to read, this demo seems to be an introduction mixed with a tutorial. It's too long and boring.

The characters, this is what made me decide to stop using the fan sig.
    - The male protagonist is rushed, he reminds me of a playmobil with bad proportions, his poses are strange as if they weren't completed, the "textures"... I thought he was a crash test dummie on the first pictures.
    - The salesman in the mall looks more like a fitting mannequin than the ones in the background XD Same for the boss.
    - The mother's face looks good until you realize that all the women in the city got the same plastic surgeon that only knows how to do one face. Plus the kid should be careful not have his eyes put out when he hugs his mother's pointing breast, she just needs the cameltoe to be totaly unbelievable.

For me, that game will be part of the ones that are checked every 5-10 updates if nothing else is out, until the mother is banged and then be forgotten.
  12. 3.00 star(s)

hix88

I read in the comments that a lot of people were waiting for this game. They all seem delighted to the point of leaving 5 stars even though the game does not offer any content ... I am very puzzled the demo is very short, only one interesting scene, the one with Ivy. artstyle is very interesting the game can become very interesting if it is not abandoned prematurely 3 stars, hoping to be able to get 5 in the next update.
  13. 3.00 star(s)

Duriel

#The Good in my opinion:

1) True to the Original Couple Concept
    :
    I am happy to see that the authors have delivered the couple that has been anticipated since the very beginning, without changing it too much for the release out of fear of complaints regarding the shota looking MC and Amazon looking Mom.

Surely they went through some physical shenanigans and genetic gaps to justify it, which I've actually witnessed in RL and its hilarious, but it works here and looks delightful for all the taller female x smaller male lovers out there.

2) Graphic Style:
    The style is kinda reminiscent of another 40k VN I've seen here where the author had a kinda unique talent to cartonize his 3d renders. I am seeing something similar here and I am really liking it.

The UI looks slick, the effects and lights quite convincing and overall looks very pleasant.

3) Sandbox:
    The sandbox mechanics, although seen as negative by some, It all comes down to how well they are implemented and if they serve a bigger purpose that could have been executed by a much faster and simpler VN.

Till now I am seeing some of the needed features: a log, responsive and smooth UI, ease of navigation, great readability and good design overall.

Though how the grind is going to be handled will be paramount to the future rating, either via well thought and paced minigames and/or reasonable amounts of interactions. The experience must be intuitive and "well paced" to feel right.

#The Not so good in my opinion:

1) Very Slim Demo:

As others have already highlighted, there is really too little content to start with, considering the long development and anticipation of the game.

I get it they might have developed much more and planning to release each chunk in an efficiently scheduled manner (like Treasures of Nadia),
    Though I've seen other games popping out of nowhere with much more consistent and convincing demos that really got me into them without even hearing of them beforehand.

2) Too short to get into the characters:
    I am barely feeling the characters or the mood with the little time I've been playing, not only that, being a Sandbox, this game has to do double the job with dialogues and events to keep the player engaged and immersed into both the mood and story.

There needs to be less generic dialogue in favor of more character building scenes like when the Mom runmages through past pictures with the son, that's good character building, but there needs to be more of it in order to keep it interesting till and after it climaxes to the sex scenes. Otherwise, it will feel like another generic "bang all you can" game, which would be a shame.

#Final Score:

Having written all that, I am giving this demo 3 stars out of 5 for now, removing 2 for what I believe to be a poor first impression, but am more than willing to bring it up to 5 If the game gets steady and more consistent updates than this demo from now on.
  14. 2.00 star(s)

D2K

it's....not what i expected. for the amount of art they've shown throughout the years, for some reason in game the art looks and feels very flat. this type of art style really needs to be done in a 3d environment similar to the twist. it seriously lacks life. and for how the ui and game is set up, it could easily have been a renpy; doesn't make sense to build an engine for this. the story and dialogue so far is very generic and boring. i know they didn't "work" on this for the full 3+ years or whatever, but this is very poor effort. it feels stuck in the past.
  15. 5.00 star(s)

MegaApe

So much potential in this game. These graphics and renders are new to me but i like them. Yes the game doesn't have any content as of now but that is what you expect from newly released games. I have not encountered any bug during my gameplay.
  16. 2.00 star(s)

HerbertIronsides

Gets two stars for looking pretty however this game has been in the works for a long time and it only has about 5 min of content currently. Pretty Unacceptable to make people wait so long and only get that much. Will update review later if actual content is added. Until then it gets a 2 star from me.
  17. 5.00 star(s)

nerdgamer

Been waiting on this game for a long time and we finally got there.
    5/5 intro, details/quality/renders are awesome. Looks like we got good a story aswell compared to most games.
    Like the first review im reviewing this on the potential, i can see this game being one of the biggest games in the future.
    Congrats to the devs, wish them all the best