AI art as placeholder ?

Greyvan

Mar 28, 2018
I think everything is in the title, I've some projects on hold right now for lack of money and with the rise in AI generated arts out there, using them as placeholder is becoming more an more tempting.

I don't plan and don't want to only use AI art, but it could be a good way for me to release a project and test the water first instead of using the money I don't have on something that risk to crash and burn with every cent I invested in it.

So, I guess my question is, would you people be lenient and try a game with AI arts as a placeholder or is it a big no no for you ?

Lerd0

Conversation Conqueror
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
..lots of ppl will be cool with it....as long as it doesn't look like shit....
...so...do it....

Reactions: Greyvan

♍VoidTraveler

Forum Fanatic
Apr 14, 2021
If you can become skilled in AI art generation you can even go with it as non-placeholder, easily. :whistle::coffee:

baloneysammich

Jun 3, 2017
Considering attitudes to ai art (not just the legal/philosophical, but the perspective that it's usually low effort or low quality), using it could also do more harm than good. At least unless you devote quite a bit of effort into making good quality output.

Also bear in mind that AI art can't be copyrighted. I know this is a piracy forum and all but just FYI.

lemonfreak

The Freakiest of Lemons
Oct 24, 2018
In theory it should be no different than using samples in music, an accepted practice for over 40 years at this point

Meaning Less

Engaged Member
Sep 13, 2016
Placeholder art is fine for unimportant elements: backgrounds, sprites, non-sexual scenes. But once you use those for your main cgs then you will run into trouble later.

Here is my recommendation instead:
Just focus on a shorter initial game entirely AI based as the final product, with this you will effectively avoid making false promises and waste time remaking the same game later.

This allows you to "test the waters" and even release a shorter game that should help you build some initial fans without damaging your reputation as another dev that abandons their projects.

Then once you feel like you are ready, just start a new game without AI, if you ever feel like it.

woody554

Jan 20, 2018
I think this idea would bomb colossally and give your game a shit reputation for YEARS. you only get one single shot at first impression.