AI-Shoujo AISVR controls

Eternity01

Dec 19, 2019
Overview:
A mini-guide on basic controls and fishing for the AI-Shoujo [ILLUSION] AISVR mod
I looked around a bit and could not find instructions on controls in VR for this mod, so I thought I would write a brief guide here. One, it helps preserve the information for myself, and two, it helps other enjoy the game that might have otherwise given up on the VR aspect of it (like I did several months back). Hopefully, this is being posted in the right section. If it's not, please either mods feel free to move it or direct me as to which sub-forum it should be posted to :)

The VR platform I'm on is the HTC Vive. So, sorry for you HTC Index, and Oculus users out there. I don't know what the controls would be for you so this guide is just for the HTC Vive users :/

Now that the hard work has been done (figuring out what I have, documenting what I've learned so far, and creating the thread), I may actually come back and add (or edit if something could be written to be more clear or something is incorrect) to this mini-guide.

UPDATE: As I was moving the AISVR plugin out of the plugins folder to learn what my next objective is in the game (since it sorta gets cut off), I learned AISVR plugin created an xml file with the controls in it! *MAJOR forehead slap* But I'll leave the guide here anywhere as I may add stuff for game mechanics that may seem unintuitive. See the controls in my (which SHOULD be default, but I don't know for sure) AISVR.xml file.

For HTC Vive:

Controller modes:

The wand controllers have two modes in AI-Shoujo. The mode that particular controller is in is designated by the icon displayed on top of the Vive wand controller in the game.

The two mode icons:
  • One icon looks like a stick-man doing a sort of kung-fu sweeping motion with their arms. I'll refer to this one as the: motion indicator
  • The other icon looks like a squiggly letter 'N' or a side-ways letter 'S' with nodes along it. I'll refer to this one as the: interact indicator

The mode can be flipped to the other mode by pressing the Vive wand menu button on that particular wand that you want to flip the mode for.
Note: You can actually have both wands using the same mode, but why you would want to, I dunno lol

For reference, I have my left wand set to motion and my right wand set to interact. Though, as I play through the game, I may change those but I'll do my best to keep references to them consistent through-out this guide.

Additional note on that last sentence: The mode being on which wand shouldn't matter since the controllers shouldn't change whether a mode is on the left wand or right!

In an effort to keep things concise (not having much luck so far lol), I will format the explanation of the modes as a bullet-point list of features, and then under that will be what button is used to perform that feature, and then at the end of that mode I will give a sentence or two explaining when you would use that mode in general. Additionally, given the feature list-item entries may be someone lengthy in description, I will do my best, when necessary, to end each of the entries with: -- <a name we'll call it for easier reference>

The two controller modes in-depth:

First the motion mode (motion indicator):

Features:
  1. Teleport your "virtual camera" around (without moving your character) -- Teleport virtual camera
  2. Turn your character (which in-turn turns your virtual camera?) -- Turn
  3. Raise / Lower and move (front-to-back, and strafing side to side) your virtual camera and move -- Move virtual camera

Button mappings:
1. Teleport virtual camera: touch (without press-clicking) and leave your thumb on the thumb-pad, and slide your thumb a little on the surface of the touch-pad to engage this; you'll see a HMD (head-mounted display) icon and an arc moving around as your twirl the Vive wand around, if you then push your thumb in to click on the thumb-pad, it will move your virtual camera to that location. Note: I have not yet found a "clean" way to return back to your character's view. The closest I've found is by using the walk button (interact mode)

2. Turn: press in on the thumb-pad on the left-side to snap-turn left a little, and on the right-side to snap-turn right a little.

3. Move virtual camera: If you hold down the grip button (NOT the trigger button), and move the wand around in real life, the virtual camera (your character will NOT move) will track with the wand. If you want to go higher, move the wand closer towards to the ground, to go lower, raise the wand in the air, to move forward / in bring the wand closer to you, and to move backward / out, move the wand further from you.

General purpose: You will use this mode primarily to move your virtual camera (to get a better look at something), or to snap-turn and point your character in another direction.

Next, the interact mode (interact indicator):

Features:
  1. Raise / Lower your cellphone -- Cellphone
  2. Run
  3. Walk
  4. Turn (though, to me turning seems more consistent using the motion mode)

Button mappings:
1. Cellphone: Press-in at the bottom of the thumb-pad to raise your cellphone, press-in at the top of the thumb-pad to lower the cellphone. One thing to note: it can take a couple of taps before the cellphone raises, you may also have to hold it down for a couple of seconds before the game registers you "clicked" it.
2. Run: Hold the trigger button to move forward at a run speed
3. Walk: Hold the grip button to move forward at a walk speed
4. Turn: Like the motion mode, the left and right sides of the thumb-pad can be press-clicked to snap-turn. I've found the motion mode seems to respond faster and more often though.

General purpose: You will use this mode primarily for interacting with objects in the world or performing actions.

You may be wondering, how do you interact with things if the interact mode doesn't have a "feature" that includes interacting with the game world objects. The answer, your mouse. Yes, despite being in VR, you MUST still use your mouse. This is used to navigate menus in-game (your cellphone, settings, dialog-options, etc.), it is even used to fish, interact with signs, collect items, etc.

Note (IMPORTANT): As with the cellphone with the interact mode, the game can be pretty slow to register certain input events. You may need to hold right-click down for a solid two-seconds (the in-game help says 1 second), before the game will register you right-clicked. Your mileage may vary though depending on the speed of your machine.

Additional (IMPORTANT) note: You will often times, (i.e. when you've caught a fish, interacted with a base point sign, etc.) need to look up with your HMD to see the outcome of something (i.e. the fish, or the dialog-options, etc). This is because the in-game menuing and dialog system doesn't really behave too well with the VR mod. It's almost as if the UI overlay of the game is shrunk down and doesn't fill out the screen (i.e. the minimap is NOT in the top-left of your view, it's kinda far right and down from it, the cellphone shows up fairly near the top, the dialog box that says what fish you caught, is also typically off-screen until you look at it -- leaving you to believe you lost the fish) -- or the mod doesn't "grow" the UI layer.

Fishing:
First you must craft a fishing rod. Oddly enough, it seemed I did not need anything to create a simple basic fishing rod.
First, bring up the cellphone (if you haven't read the control information above, I STRONGLY recommend doing so; seriously. Just do it... ... You didn't do it did you? Please? Just do it. Trust me, you'll save yourself some grief :))
Next, using your mouse (YES, remember how I said you still have to use your mouse??) click on the icon on your in-game cellphone's launcher that says crafting

<TODO: Add detailed instructions for the crafting screen -- but once there you should be able to work through it fairly easily>

Equip the rod using the status window (the status icon on your in-game's cellphone launcher). When in the status screen, click the fishing pole slot and select your newly created fishing pole.

Finally, you're ready to fish!

Ok, so in the opening area of the game (where you start at on the island), if you look out towards the ocean, on the left side of that small beach-coast here (you may have to look slightly left depending on how your field of view is), you'll see batches / clusters of some rocks sticking just out of the water and joined together with narrow little wood planks, follow this all the way out as far as you can.

Here's where the VR mod and the game REALLY don't get along well (as if it wasn't janky enough :p); the game says you will see an indicator of where you're able to fish, but I have yet to see ANY indicators of interaction ANYWHERE (i.e. not for fishing, not for examining the sign in the same starting area, etc.). I just kinda blindly tried it and it worked (combine this with the long button holds necessary for the game to register input and it can make you more than a little bonkers trying to figure out what you're doing wrong)!

With your fishing pole already equipped (from not long after crafting it -- if you've been following along), right-click and you should see your fishing pole appear. Now left-click to cast.

Once your bobber is in the water, you can move your mouse left, right, up, and down, to move it closer to the fish shadows that will appear. Like Animal Crossing, there are different shadow sizes of fish. For this game, it's small, medium, and large.

Fish fights:
When battling a fish, a circle will appear indicating the status of what the fish is doing. I'll refer to these as:
Resting (the fish is too "tired" to fight without taking a short break)
Running (the fish is actively trying to get away)

Resting mode: Depicted as a circle (around the fish) that is mostly white colored, with two small regions of yellow, surrounding
a small region of green.

Running mode: Depicted as a circle (around the fish) that is mostly green colored, with a region of red.

Once a fish bites and is on the hook, a colored circle will appear. It starts out as resting (can it ever start off running? I haven't seen it yet, but it might be possible??). It will change back and forth over the course of the fight between the two modes.

For reference, fishing in other games:
Like most fishing games (i.e. Stardew Valley), reeling in the fish equates to some form of keeping some indicator positioned in a region and being outside of that region will cause you to begin loosing the fish. However, unlike Stardew Valley, you don't need to click (in that game you raise a green bar up and down and try to keep the fish in it, and the fish being outside of the green bar causes your catch-progress bar to go down -- it goes to nothing and you loose the fish).

(
I seriously, can't believe I referenced Animal crossing, and Stardew Valley on this site in this thread about this kind of game though I suppose there's rule-34 stuff somewhere for those IPs lol)

To compare and contrast now, this game:
Here, you want to keep a red-icon in a green region as much as possible. Moving this red-icon around the circle is just a matter of moving your mouse in a circular pattern to where you want the icon to be (picture an imaginary circle in-real life where your mouse is sitting on a circle where a red icon is in the game). You want to just move the mouse so the red-icon (red-icon NOT circle region :) Don't think I need to state that, but just in case :) ), is within the green (whether the fish-fight is in resting mode, or running mode). During the fight, a timer counts down. If you are in the red during "running mode", the timer counts down faster (what about if you're in the white region during a resting mode?). The game treats the fish as having HP and if you don't lower the fish's health down to zero before the timer hits zero, you loose the fish. Keeping the fish in the green does "damage" to the fish.

This is but a VERY short guide, but hopefully it will help a lot of those that want to play the game in VR but aren't really looking to disable the mod to play the game in pancake mode just to learn the controls (which still then wouldn't really help since you don't have HTC Vive wand usage in pancake mode, so even then it would be marginally beneficial to play in pancake mode first).

Controls listed in AISVR.XML:
ResetView on="PressUp" F12
ChangeMode on="PressUp" Ctrl+C, Ctrl+C
ShrinkWorld on="Press" Alt + KeypadMinus
EnlargeWorld on="Press" Alt + KeypadPlus
ToggleUserCamera on="PressUp" Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V
SaveSettings on="PressUp" Alt + S
LoadSettings on="PressUp" Alt + L
ResetSettings on="PressUp" Ctrl + Alt + L
ApplyEffects on="PressUp" Ctrl + F5
GUI.Raise on="Press" KeypadMinus
GUI.Lower on="Press" KeypadPlus
GUI.IncreaseAngle on="Press" Ctrl + KeypadMinus
GUI.DecreaseAngle on="Press" Ctrl + KeypadPlus
GUI.IncreaseDistance on="Press" Shift + KeypadMinus
GUI.DecreaseDistance on="Press" Shift + KeypadPlus
GUI.RotateRight on="Press" Ctrl + Shift + KeypadMinus
GUI.RotateLeft on="Press" Ctrl + Shift + KeypadPlus
GUI.ChangeProjection on="PressUp" F4
ToggleRotationLock on="PressUp" F5
ImpersonateApproximately on="PressUp" Ctrl + X
ImpersonateExactly on="PressUp" Ctrl + Shift + X

Change-Log:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pathzie

wadarkhu

Apr 1, 2020
Is it any good though?

I've tried koikatsu and custom 3d maid in VR, while both kinda work, it's just a bit of a drag and using menus/sliders is just messy, so I've given up on them.

kingjamz

Feb 1, 2023
Do you happen to still have the link or the files for this mod? Janky or not I'd like to give it a try :)

Pathzie

Jan 14, 2020
Anybody who might help me with the plugin?
Ive started AI Shoujo via SteamVR and it does load but it is waiting to "conect to the game"
While im looking at this connection screen on my VR headset on the desktop the game is already open.

When I load my savegame nothing happens on the vr headset but on desktop I am under the map and cant move

Thats the error from the log:

[01:06:21][INFO][UnityHelper#LoadFromAssetBundle] Loading: Unlit (EB)
[01:06:21][INFO][UnityHelper#LoadFromAssetBundle] Loading: UnlitTransparent (EB)
[01:06:21][INFO][UnityHelper#LoadFromAssetBundle] Loading: UnlitTransparentCombined (EB)
[01:06:21][ERROR][DefaultMaterialPalette#.ctor] Could not load Sprite material!
[01:07:06][INFO][VRCamera#OnAwake] Creating VR Camera
[01:07:06][ERROR][ProtectedBehaviour#SafelyCall] UnityEngine.UnityException: Transform child out of bounds
at (wrapper managed-to-native) UnityEngine.Transform.GetChild(UnityEngine.Transform,int)
at SteamVR_Camera.Expand () [0x00181] in <e8e824fdcae345b198d23789b2344a89>:0
at VRGIN.Core.VRCamera.OnAwake () [0x0003e] in <e8e824fdcae345b198d23789b2344a89>:0
at VRGIN.Core.ProtectedBehaviour.SafelyCall (System.Action action) [0x00000] in <e8e824fdcae345b198d23789b2344a89>:0
[01:07:07][ERROR][ProtectedBehaviour#SafelyCall] System.InvalidOperationException: VR Manager has not been created yet!
at VRGIN.Core.VRManager.get_Instance () [0x0000d] in <e8e824fdcae345b198d23789b2344a89>:0
at VRGIN.Core.VR.get_Context () [0x00000] in <e8e824fdcae345b198d23789b2344a89>:0
at VRGIN.Core.VR.get_Settings () [0x00000] in <e8e824fdcae345b198d23789b2344a89>:0
at VRGIN.Core.VRCamera.OnUpdate () [0x00028] in <e8e824fdcae345b198d23789b2344a89>:0
at VRGIN.Core.ProtectedBehaviour.SafelyCall (System.Action action) [0x00000] in <e8e824fdcae345b198d23789b2344a89>:0

EDIT:
I think Ive got it now.
I will add a description on how to install this plugin

Last edited:

gobbledeeznuts

Nov 28, 2023
Anybody who might help me with the plugin?
Ive started AI Shoujo via SteamVR and it does load but it is waiting to "conect to the game"
While im looking at this connection screen on my VR headset on the desktop the game is already open.

When I load my savegame nothing happens on the vr headset but on desktop I am under the map and cant move

Thats the error from the log:

[01:06:21][INFO][UnityHelper#LoadFromAssetBundle] Loading: Unlit (EB)
[01:06:21][INFO][UnityHelper#LoadFromAssetBundle] Loading: UnlitTransparent (EB)
[01:06:21][INFO][UnityHelper#LoadFromAssetBundle] Loading: UnlitTransparentCombined (EB)
[01:06:21][ERROR][DefaultMaterialPalette#.ctor] Could not load Sprite material!
[01:07:06][INFO][VRCamera#OnAwake] Creating VR Camera
[01:07:06][ERROR][ProtectedBehaviour#SafelyCall] UnityEngine.UnityException: Transform child out of bounds
at (wrapper managed-to-native) UnityEngine.Transform.GetChild(UnityEngine.Transform,int)
at SteamVR_Camera.Expand () [0x00181] in <e8e824fdcae345b198d23789b2344a89>:0
at VRGIN.Core.VRCamera.OnAwake () [0x0003e] in <e8e824fdcae345b198d23789b2344a89>:0
[01:07:07][ERROR][ProtectedBehaviour#SafelyCall] System.InvalidOperationException: VR Manager has not been created yet!
at VRGIN.Core.VRManager.get_Instance () [0x0000d] in <e8e824fdcae345b198d23789b2344a89>:0
at VRGIN.Core.VR.get_Context () [0x00000] in <e8e824fdcae345b198d23789b2344a89>:0
at VRGIN.Core.VR.get_Settings () [0x00000] in <e8e824fdcae345b198d23789b2344a89>:0
at VRGIN.Core.VRCamera.OnUpdate () [0x00028] in <e8e824fdcae345b198d23789b2344a89>:0

EDIT:
I think Ive got it now.
I will add a description on how to install this plugin
Sooo.... How did you manage to get it working? I'm getting the same error as you... Also, how well does it work?

Pathzie

Jan 14, 2020
Sooo.... How did you manage to get it working? I'm getting the same error as you... Also, how well does it work?
ok hear me out I dont want to be this guy who found a solution and forgot to post it :(.

What I think I did was to accept the batch questions with "yes" instead of "y" and/or changed AI directories...
Well both of the two things I tried... but I dont know which is the correct one XD.

BTW, you cant run it in desktop anymore.

RX6900XT -> Half Render Resoulution in STeam VR Setting HP Reverb G2
There was a VR preset in the F5 Graphic Setting menu -> I changed some things but thats the base (Next Gen Skin SHaders do work)
I had to turn AA off because I had visuals artifacts
Actually It did run pretty good.

BUT controls are a nightmare, but eventually youll get it. Still not perfect

+ Run it from your SteamVR Menu