AI: what is the best way to start with ai?

Rolliman

Dec 20, 2023
hello,
new year, new start, new goals...

i wish to start with ai, but i am completely new in this section, so what is the best way to start?
which programm is easy to use for starters (if possible for free in the beginning)?
whats the best method to feed the machine to get good results? only words, easy sentences or complete scenario?

tia
rolliman

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
What do you want to use AI for? Writing dialogue? Programming help? Image creation?

If you are wanting to work in private on your own hardware, you'll need a GPU with a fair amount memory - less than 8GB makes it difficult/restricts what models you can run, 24GB (3090 or 4090) is much better and the peak of home usage. Nvidia is better supported than AMD but you can make the red team cards work with some patience.

There's also lots of various paid services that will give you working "in the cloud" AI instances to mess with. Typically costing 1-2$ an hour. These are cool if you don't have the right local hardware, but also a bit inconvenient. You can get much more powerful GPUs this way if you find speed of response is an issue.

For text generation for creating dialogue, the main tool to use at home is Oobabooga "text-generation-webui". You can also use it for "chatting", and in that case the Silly Tavern frontend has some useful additions.

This thread has a lot of info: https://f95zone.to/threads/ai-uncensored-text-generation-via-oobabooga.162713/post-12221435

If you're looking at doing image creation, then at home "Stable diffusion" via the opensource project Automatic1111 is a good way to get started. Some users prefer ComfyUI which has a more "connect the function boxes" visual programming approach, kinda like Unreal Engine game dev.

Stable diffusion has a lot of constantly evolving parts, so recently I switched to use the "stability matrix" installer which helps with the install and maintenance.

There is a shared learning thread here: https://f95zone.to/threads/stable-diffusion-prompt-sharing-and-learning-thread.146036/

Rolliman

Dec 20, 2023
at the beginning i wish to create some images i have in my mind.
they could be very normal like an old ruine of a castle, but they can be very naughty and kinky, too.
e.g. a master who needs a wheelchair is sexualy pampered by his bdsm slaves.
(I know,my brain is very dirty)

Satori6

Game Developer
Aug 29, 2023
which programm is easy to use for starters (if possible for free in the beginning)?
Makeayo is probably the easiest to setup.

whats the best method to feed the machine to get good results? only words, easy sentences or complete scenario?
Start simple, then add complexity, then remove what no longer needs to be emphasized.
Only change one word each generation.

For complex prompts, you'll need hundreds of generations to get a decent result, and you'll also need to draw and edit multiple times to nudge the AI into understanding the prompts better. Post-editing will also be needed.

I usually start with a rough sketch:
sample1.png

And then follow the above mentioned process until I get a result that I like for the game:
final.png

I'll be making a tutorial about it when I get some time.

Reactions: Rolliman

Rolliman

Dec 20, 2023
i see, so i need a bunch of tries to get my result.
can these systems learn of your former tries?

Satori6

Game Developer
Aug 29, 2023
i see, so i need a bunch of tries to get my result.
can these systems learn of your former tries?
The closest would be to use the img2img option using a previous result that you liked as in input.

I do this myself quite often.

Let's say that the AI gives you this picture:
1700553071819_0.png

It looks nice, but she's got an extra leg, doesn't know how to hold a knife, there is a floating blade, and she's bleeding from her armpit, and she's got a ballsack (?).

So let's make some quick dirty edits and feed it back to the AI:
1700553071819_0X.png

That will be enough for the AI to get the hint and produce a result closer to what you want:
1700621219502_0.png

Rolliman

Dec 20, 2023
Makeayo is probably the easiest to setup.
i downloaded makeayo and tried to install it.. the installer creates some folders but then it says "press a button" but nothng happeens. it seems to be freezing because the installer stays on the screen, but ican remove the makeayo install shield with a mouseclick, but i cant start it. is there a special trick?

Satori6

Game Developer
Aug 29, 2023
i downloaded makeayo and tried to install it.. the installer creates some folders but then it says "press a button" but nothng happeens. it seems to be freezing because the installer stays on the screen, but ican remove the makeayo install shield with a mouseclick, but i cant start it. is there a special trick?
It's been a while so I don't really remember the steps of the installation. I think the installer took care of everything, but it could take a while, as it will download and install well over 10GB.
Do you have enough disk space?

There is a discord linked on their website. You could check if somebody there knows what to do with this issue.

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
If the installer is actually working and doing big file downloads in the background, you can check this with the windows task manager performance view - sort by network usage and hopefully you can see if it is actually doing some downloads.

Rolliman

Dec 20, 2023
but when its finished a programm is starting?
I dont have to go on a webpage or something like that?

Satori6

Game Developer
Aug 29, 2023
but when its finished a programm is starting?
I dont have to go on a webpage or something like that?
Correct. It may use your connection if you are downloading extra models, but the image production itself is all done locally from the application in your computer.

Rolliman

Dec 20, 2023
Correct. It may use your connection if you are downloading extra models, but the image production itself is all done locally from the application in your computer.
thank you, so i have to search the reason why its not runniing.
so you know an alternative for makeayo,too?

Satori6

Game Developer
Aug 29, 2023
thank you, so i have to search the reason why its not runniing.
so you know an alternative for makeayo,too?
is another one I was looking into. I didn't get to try it, but it looked as simple to setup and use.

is the most popular one, but that was a pain in the ass to setup, although that might have been because I have an AMD card. It's much easier with nVidia.