Ren'Py All browsers super bright after playing a Ren'py game

Nopenopeno

Jul 27, 2018
After playing any Ren'py built game if I open a browser, any browser, everything is washed out, over-bright and nearly unusable. I have noticed this on more than one monitor, otherwise I would blame it on switching back and forth from SDR to HDR. I have tried closing and reopening the browser, turning off and on my TV / monitor, but all that seems to work so far is completely rebooting my PC. Anyone heard or seen this that can offer some help? I have done searches, but come up with nothing so far. Thanks in advance.

Meaning Less

Engaged Member
Sep 13, 2016
Sounds like an HDR issue as you suspect if it is happening on more than one screen. Disable it on windows and see if the problem still persists.

Also some TVs have different profiles that automatically switch depending on what is being displayed, check if it isn't just changing to a different profile when you open a game, if that is the case you just have to disable that behavior in your TV settings.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nopenopeno

Nopenopeno

Jul 27, 2018
Sounds like an HDR issue as you suspect if it is happening on more than one screen. Disable it on windows and see if the problem still persists.

Also some TVs have different profiles that automatically switch depending on what is being displayed, check if it isn't just changing to a different profile when you open a game, if that is the case you just have to disable that behavior in your TV settings.
Think you are right concerning TV modes. I always see a popup for game mode and HDR in the upper right corner (LG OLED) when I fire up a game. I will look into that. Thanks for the pointer.

rayminator

Engaged Member
Respected User
Sep 26, 2018
question time

1.what's your gpu brand?
2.what's your monitor and TV brand?
3.did try do a update your gpu drivers?
4.did try to have only the monitor or just the TV connected?

the TV will use more resources then the monitor will

Pamphlet

Aug 5, 2020
Yeah, that's related to Windows HDR and OpenGL not playing nicely.

You can go to Windows settings and toggle Windows HD Colour a couple of times to reset it. To prevent it happening in future you can use Shift+G in the game and set Ren'Py to force the Angle2 renderer.

Nopenopeno

Jul 27, 2018
question time

1.what's your gpu brand?
2.what's your monitor and TV brand?
3.did try do a update your gpu drivers?
4.did try to have only the monitor or just the TV connected?

the TV will use more resources then the monitor will
Nvidia 3080ti
LG CX
All drivers up to date
No monitor, just the TV via HDMI

Nopenopeno

Jul 27, 2018
Yeah, that's related to Windows HDR and OpenGL not playing nicely.

You can go to Windows settings and toggle Windows HD Colour a couple of times to reset it. To prevent it happening in future you can use Shift+G in the game and set Ren'Py to force the Angle2 renderer.
Excellent, I will give this a try. Thank you!