VN All Ye, All Ye, gather around for DAZ Render

Deleted member 167032

Alternate Existence
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 16, 2017
It's frustating....

Just when i think i have it, it eludes me again. I have renders in teh same Club that are really good quality and then i have this piece of sh1t that i just cannot seem to get right. Grainy as hell...If i make it too light then it's washed out.

I have attached what i believe will give an idea as how i have my Render settigns. As i said, my lighing etc.. is the same and some camera angles are great renders and then others are shitty... I need advice please....

Rendered image

Render settings

f95zoneuser463

Game Developer
Aug 14, 2017
How many samples is this image?

Is that glass in the background where the light has to travel through? Materials that transmit light always tend to cause more grain.

I can only guess here what I see:
Characters are in soft light, thats good, I assume your scene is not rly open and it comes from the Environment/Dome? Otherwise there must be a large light source somewhere.
A tiny light-source near your camera (or the camera headlight?) throws a hard shadow (red bottle or arm on right side). We want soft shadows only for characters, unless the scene is dramatic. Remove this light or make it larger/softer.

Assuming your scene is somewhat open to get light from the outside:
-remove the HDRI Environment Map. That should then allow to adjust the things like (out of my head, don't know the exact slider names and rendering atm):
-sun disk scale (bigger = softer light)
-sun intensity or env intensity
-daytime

Assuming your scene is full indoor:
-use primitive plane as light-source (or modify the surfaces in your scene that can be a light to be emissive)
-apply emissive material, turn on two-sided, adjust Luminance for the material (Iray)
-move and scale plane to light the scene how you want (try a laaaarge plane above the scene)

Overall I'd also say in your Tone Mapping Settings set the exposure value down slightly (-0.5?). The image is to dark and since there is no white clipping. This should help to show more details in darker areas (2nd left girl, black dress). It should not wash out unrealistic. I like to do quick tiny test-renders and look at the color-curve to see if there is clipping.

Outdoor light = easy
Indoor light = harder, avoid
Indoor light against window to the outside = expert level, may need multiple renders with different exposure

This all just guessing (since I cannot see the setup) and what I would try ... I'm not an expert.

Deleted member 167032

Alternate Existence
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 16, 2017
WOW thx... I am using 1200Max samples but i recon this is way too little. I will also add Nominal Lumance to 400 or such as suggested by someone else. I definately need to add or soften the lighting as you suggested. The girl in middle there is a bottle shadow on her left leg which i need to get rid of. Also her dress is flying around her legs and clipping into the chair.