VN Alternatives for Illusion game studios

Playstorepers

May 24, 2020
Hey everyone,

A friend of mine is trying to create a VN and I myself advised him to use Koikatu Studio or HS, since I used those to create 2d sprites, which worked fine.
However I only created a non-commercial product, which is way less likely to get dragged in front of a court.

So what are the alternatives to create 2D-Anime like sprites for a VN, with commercial use.

I found VRoid and Mannequin, but it's almost impossible to mod different clothes into those.

And yeah, we know, that Illusion most likely won't sue, but just having the chance to ruin your life completely thanks to a lawsuit is very deterring...

So If someone would be so kind and list some alternatives, that we couldn't find, we'd be very grateful.

Thanks in advance.

Sideralis

Jun 25, 2019
Hello, I've been looking to make an anime game as well, with Koikatsu as my first option, but I've also looked into others like the ones you mentioned.

It's hard for me to think there is no specialized software for making 3D characters for VN's as with Daz3D for realistic-looking games.

I heard you can also use blender with something called NPR or "Non-Photorealistic-Rendering" but that's all I know about it.

Still, I think you're good with Koikatsu unless you plan to sell it on steam. (just because I haven't seen a Koikatsu VN on steam yet, but who knows if it's possible.) Illusion hasn't taken action on any games using their engine yet, they really don't care. Although why would they, it's good advertising. If you don't have any other option, then Koikatsu is the best one so far.

If you're still unsure, I've seen a developer who uses Koikatsu for base models/posing and then heavily redraws/edits them in photoshop or other programs, so I don't think they can get sued for using their assets, if it wasn't for the backgrounds, lol.

Playstorepers

May 24, 2020
It's just for the ease of mind...

I mean, having your entire life ruined because of a lawsuit for a project, which is mostly just your passion and a hobby, is just creepy...
And thanks for the blender tip.